KI206 indicator LOC failed

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by FORANE, Jul 19, 2019.

1. FORANE

FORANE Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    FORANE
    My KI206 indicator glideslope works, but as I discovered yesterday in IMC on an ILS approach, the LOC is no longer functional.

Questions:
    Anyone know of a good repair shop for these?
    Should I just look for a functional replacement unit on ebay or the like?
    other alternatives?

2. sourdough44

sourdough44 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    WI Flyer
    I’d look for a replacement, or maybe trade it in on one already refurbished. Some places have 30 days or so to make sure they work.

FORANE likes this.
  3. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Avionics shops have piles of stuff that’sBeing taken out of airplanes that are getting shiny new GPSes to meet the ADS-B mandate.

Should call around.

Ours had stacks of older radios and didn’t want to give much for any of them on trade anymore when we did ours over a year ago.

We pulled a non LOC King and kept our LOC one as a backup though. So it may be bad advice, but I’d still ask around. Lots of people installed two GPSes that had their own Nav/Com with localizer.

4. thomasdr72

thomasdr72 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    thomasdr72
    Does the needle center when you go tune the controlling receiver to a known good VOR (or VOT) signal? I've seen situations where the CDI works with a VOR, but not an ILS (or vice-versa) (different functions within the receiver). The KI206 doesn't have any internal resolver circuitry, so the head unit is doing all of the work... If it works tuned to a VOR, the head unit is having the issue, not the CDI. What receiver is the KI206 connected to?

V/r,
    -Dana

5. FORANE

FORANE Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    FORANE
    Apologies for the delayed reply. I have been too busy for my own good.

The CDI doesn't move at all; not with VOR, ILS, GPS, nothing. The only thing that gets it to move is manually changing position of the instrument or shaking it slightly produces a slight passive needle movement so I know it isn't frozen in position.

It is driven by a 430w. On startup the 430w deflects needles as a test; glideslope should be up and loc should be left. The instrument glideslope works properly. The loc fails this startup test; it doesn't move.

Eager to get a functional unit in a plane I depend on for frequent travel on a schedule, I bought another KI-206. the replacement ki-206 functions exactly as the other one - namely, the loc needle doesn't move.

I also have an EFIS in the plane. The EFIS needles do perform properly, but they get the LOC/ILS/GPS feeds from the 430w via ARINC.

I found a wiring diagram for the ki-206 PDF attached below.

Can anyone confirm the pin or pins responsible for LOC needle function? Is it pins j and n?
    And those pins go to a 430w P4001 pins 21 and 22?

Attached Files: