Keying the mic in response to ATC

Do you ever key the mic in response to ATC

• I always key the mic, let ATC figure it out; that's what they are paid for.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I key the mic under certain circumstances.

Votes: 62 51.7%
  • I never key the mic.

Votes: 49 40.8%
  • Are you crazy?

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don't have a mic but I can waggle my wings.

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
Do you ever just key the mic in response to something from a controller? Under what circumstances? Do you just key it once?

The thread on Wilco reminded me of this. The old timer CFI I did my complex with would sometimes do it but I never worked out what were his criteria and never got around to asking.

For the most part -- If it's not important enough for me to at least say the last three of my tail I don't reply at all.

I do tend to do it from time to time if it's on an air-to-air frequency and I'm communicating with another airplane for one reason or another and it's not very important.

On very rare occasions, I will will key my mic twice in response to someone on the radio, but it's usually in an uncontrolled CTAF environment. It's almost always as part of a "nonstandard" communication exchange. Maybe I negotiated a plan to stay out of someone's way at the airport, and the other plane said "thanks" at the end. "Click-click" is sort of a quick "no prob" / "you're welcome" / "don't mention it" kind of acknowledgement.

I've also heard ATC respond to me that way, like when I offer a "thanks for the help" just before a freq change.

I just respond with the last three characters of my tail number. Especially if the guy is complaining that I call the plane "Sugar Pop."

"It's SIERRA"
"Eight sugar pop."

Sometimes if I get irritated with ATC, I'll key a readback in Morse code.

I key the mike twice sometimes also in reply to other airplanes. Never to ATC.

Not when I'm speaking with a controller. On the local CTAF with other pilots, yes, it's a bit less formal.

Pretty much the only time I do that is a trivial communication- example: I'm on final and the controller provides an unsolicited update on the winds.

Answer: No.

Those clicks could have come from anywhere... some doofus bumping his handheld as he loads his flight bag.

Pretty much the only time I do that is a trivial communication- example: I'm on final and the controller provides an unsolicited update on the winds.

This. If I'm on short final and they give me a windcheck, they'll get clicks in reply. Any other time they'll get a voice.

I don't even acknowledge a wind check on final unless he specifically tells me with my callsign. Like an altimeter update, it's just a blanket call for whomever is on the freq.

I think the double click is an old fighter pilot thing that somehow worked it's way into civil aviation.

Last edited:
The good old Foxtrot Uniform. I'm feeling the love in this place.

Ah, yes, keying mikes as a response. Back in the 'Nam, when the unit was in tight with Charlie at night, an OP would get a query. No idiot is going to key the mike and say "hey,here I am". What would happen is the queried station might key the mike as a way to show they got the message.
For the same reason, the OP would have squelch off and the volume turned down to almost nothing. Not good for your peace of mind to have a squelched station come on at full volume when Charlie is 25 feet away. :)
Keying the mike then got to be "cool".
Now, keying the mike is sometimes used as a form of brevity when the workload is high or attention is directed elsewhere.
Good idea? Probably not.

On very rare occasions, I will will key my mic twice in response to someone on the radio, but it's usually in an uncontrolled CTAF environment. It's almost always as part of a "nonstandard" communication exchange. Maybe I negotiated a plan to stay out of someone's way at the airport, and the other plane said "thanks" at the end. "Click-click" is sort of a quick "no prob" / "you're welcome" / "don't mention it" kind of acknowledgement.

I've also heard ATC respond to me that way, like when I offer a "thanks for the help" just before a freq change.
:yeahthat:

I just respond with the last three characters of my tail number. Especially if the guy is complaining that I call the plane "Sugar Pop."

"It's SIERRA"
"Eight sugar pop."

Around here, "Sugar Pop" is the State Police Helicopter. Both the copter and ATC use Sugar Pop.

As for the mic click, ATC uses it more than I do.

Around here, "Sugar Pop" is the State Police Helicopter. Both the copter and ATC use Sugar Pop.

Must be interesting when a controller with that habit does his/her quarterly tape check with the quality control people.

Bob Gardner

Never, under no circumstances. Radios are for communication, and unidentified mike clicks convey no information whatsoever.

Bob Gardner

This. If I'm on short final and they give me a windcheck, they'll get clicks in reply. Any other time they'll get a voice.

Ditto. Short final is no time to be chatting. Honestly the short final wind update annoys me. I'm gonna do what I have to do at that point, so shut up and let me land. I only gives two clicks because I doubt they'd see my finger.:D

There are instructions that require a read back. ATC assigns a new altitude a double click will prompt another call from a now annoyed controller. ATC hands you off, you read it back and before you go he thanks you for you help a double click isn't going shut down ATC.

If your position is that it conveys no meaning then I'd ask why people do it and how on earth does everyone know the meaning. You might not agree with it and site the AIM but there is no way to argue it conveys no meaning. This thread is proof positive it does.

Also, anyone who thinks all things aviation need to be 'by the book' chapter verse and letter need to relax. You're making this way too hard. There is a time for by the book and there is a time to relax.

This is my 10 hour a day job. If you think its always AIM approved comms going on you're wrong. Like I said, there is a time for formal and a good pilot knows when that is.

Last edited:

Around here the "Bear in the Air" goes by "Smokey x" :D

Must be interesting when a controller with that habit does his/her quarterly tape check with the quality control people.

Bob Gardner

I would suspect that nobody would care.

No idiot is going to key the mike and say "hey,here I am". What would happen is the queried station might key the mike as a way to show they got the message.

Same in LE.
One thing in aviation, a couple quick clicks are too short to be DF'd (or at least used to be, I don't know with the new computerized DF gear).

Never, under no circumstances. Radios are for communication, and unidentified mike clicks convey no information whatsoever.

Bob Gardner

Bull, it conveys plenty of information.

About the only time I use it with ATC is the short final wind check, but on CTAF the double clicks are rather common.

In a lot of cases, 3, 5 or 7 mic clicks DO have a specific meaning, but that isn't what we're talking about. I know someone else was thinking it, I'm just getting it out in the open.

Around here the "Bear in the Air" goes by "Smokey x" :D

Tampa PD are PD-1 and up (used to be up to PD-5, don't know where they are now).
Hillsborough Sheriff's were SO-1 and SO-2.
Denver PD is Air-1

San Diego uses ABLE-1 and up (AirBorne Law Enforcement)

If your position is that it conveys no meaning then I'd ask why people do it and how on earth does everyone know the meaning. You might not agree with it and site the AIM but there is no way to argue it conveys no meaning. This thread is proof positive it does.

I can find no examples in this thread where keying the mic in response to ATC accomplishes anything that not responding at all would accomplish. Ergo it seems void of useful information. At least to me. Definitely not something worth my time to acquire as a habit.

Bull, it conveys plenty of information.

About the only time I use it with ATC is the short final wind check, but on CTAF the double clicks are rather common.

The FAA requires a basic understanding of English - no mention of understanding keying of mics.

I'm a bit baffled by these persistent claims about various radio uses being either "common knowledge" or "bad practice." Whether it is "with you" or "Any traffic in the pattern, please advise," or whatever.

There is ONE good use of a mic click- double click the callup to center or appcon when busy. Other pilots, who are listening will know you are about to send. And if after the first click you hear someone talking, you know NOT TO BLATHER ON.

Not to 7500 this, but when pushing the PTT on one yoke, does that transmit voice from the entire aircraft or just that headset?

Pilots typically get into bad habits like this mic click thing when everything is routine, going smoothly, and responses are taken for granted, then, the situation changes a little bit and problems of varying magnitude are often caused needlessly.

I key the mic. Picked it up from a few instructors. For an airspace as busy as it is in the North East I think it is efficient. I would have to disagree with those of you who say it is useless. As a previous post mentioned this thread is proof of the fact that it is a effective form of communication.

Perhaps it may not be regulation but may things were once not regulation and now are. That is the wonderful thing about aviation I feel we really are out to learn and actively improve our skills.

Clearly there are times when keying the mic is appropriate and there are times when it is not. From what I've read everyone here seems to have a pretty good understanding of that.

For those of you that argue that the FAA only requires we know english for communication I don't agree. We are also required to know light gun signals, we are required to be able to understand morse code, and may other "languages" or jargon that are developed within the field.

Just my 0.02.

I can find no examples in this thread where keying the mic in response to ATC accomplishes anything that not responding at all would accomplish. Ergo it seems void of useful information. At least to me. Definitely not something worth my time to acquire as a habit.

The FAA requires a basic understanding of English - no mention of understanding keying of mics.

I'm a bit baffled by these persistent claims about various radio uses being either "common knowledge" or "bad practice." Whether it is "with you" or "Any traffic in the pattern, please advise," or whatever.

+ 1. :yes:

Nothing about a mic click here:

NOTE−​
Pilots may acknowledge clearances, instructions, or other
information by using “Wilco,” “Roger,” “Affirmative,” or
other words or remarks.​

I think most folks who do it use it as "punctuation"...like a period at the end of a sentence if you will. For folks on the frequency, the double click means at the exchange has completed and they can now chime in with their check-in/request, whatever.

That said, I rarely, if ever, double click. "Ayetoovictor" is almost as fast.

ATC: "N123, I need to test some transmitters. Can you give a a radio check?"

Me: "N123, sure"

ATC: "How do you hear me on this transmitter?"

Me: "Loud and Clear"

ATC: "How about this one?"

Me: "Loud and Clear"

ATC: "How about this one?"

Me: "Still Loud and Clear"

ATC: "Okay, thanks N123"

Me: "click click"

Sure, I could have said 'No problem, I'm here to help and I'd be glad to any time' or maybe just the 'No problem', or 'you're welcome' and I often do...but click click conveys the EXACT same thing and is shorter. There are tons of times where comms like this happen that don't need to be strictly AIM compliant. There is a time for formal comms and I think pilots are pretty good at figuring out when that is.

To the poster above who suggested busy NE freqs are the time to bust out the 'click click' I'd disagree. Busy controllers is when you want to be by the book and adhere to the AIM. In flight emergencies is another, whether it's your plane or someone else. Ever notice how the frequency tightens right up after someone declares a 'situation'? That is appropriate.

I would read back the instructions, except at that point I already forgot what they said to do. So I just respond with "roger" and hope for the best. I don't know why the FAA hires so many guys named "roger" but they seem to like being called by name.

Back