Keyboard Shortcuts You Really Should Know

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I'm so OCD about certain things. When I see someone lock their computer by pressing "CTRL-ALT-DEL" and then Space, or Enter, or whatever, I cringe. So - here's my list of Keyboard Shortcuts that there's no excuse not to learn:

Windows-L - Lock your Desktop (USE THIS!)
Backspace - Goes back in your browser
Shift-Backspace - Goes forward in your browser
Tab - Moves forward through fields
Shift-Tab - Moves backwards through fields (see the two arrows on the key...the backwards one's on top right? Shift)
Alt-Tab - Moves through applications
Alt-Shift-Tab - Moves backwards through applications
Windows-D - Minimizes all windows and goes to the desktop. Press twice to return to where you were
Windows-R - The Run Dialog. Often works on locked down computers too
Ctrl-P - Print in almost every program.
ALT-F4 - Closes the program you are currently running
CTRL-F4 - Closes the window that is open in the current program, leaves the program running
CTRL-Enter - send email in Outlook

I think that's my list. I'm so petty when I complain about it, but seriously, when I see someone press CTRL-ALT-DELETE to lock their computer I about pop an eyeball.

Netscape has one or two cool ones that IE does not.
In N. I can hover over a link, right click, T, and that new link opens. Haven't found one to replace it in IE. Its faster and easier for me. In IE I have to right click, move cursor over Tab then click that. arggh.
Another reason I miss Netscape (I can still use it for a lot of websites like POA still)

WindowsKey-M works like the "D" too...I use it because I think of it as the "Minimize All"

I'm so OCD about certain things. When I see someone lock their computer by pressing "CTRL-ALT-DEL" and then Space, or Enter, or whatever, I cringe. So - here's my list of Keyboard Shortcuts that there's no excuse not to learn:

Shift-Tab - Moves backwards through fields (see the two arrows on the key...the backwards one's on top right? Shift)
Windows-D - Minimizes all windows and goes to the desktop. Press twice to return to where you were
CTRL-F4 - Closes the window that is open in the current program, leaves the program running

I think that's my list. I'm so petty when I complain about it, but seriously, when I see someone press CTRL-ALT-DELETE to lock their computer I about pop an eyeball.

So why does it matter to you how someone else uses their computer? Do you also complain about how your neighbor mows his yard, or washes his car if it's not to your way of doing it?

What's a browser?

So why does it matter to you how someone else uses their computer? Do you also complain about how your neighbor mows his yard, or washes his car if it's not to your way of doing it?

Oh...and Windows-E opens up "Explorer" to find files on your system.

We have to use ctrl-alt-del to log in and to unlock it. Why cringe when we use it to bring up useful links like lock, change pw, etc?

This isn't the ctrl-alt-del from DOS days you know.

I still use Shift-Delete and Shift-Insert to cut and past how do you feel about that?

We have to use ctrl-alt-del to log in and to unlock it. Why cringe when we use it to bring up useful links like lock, change pw, etc?

This isn't the ctrl-alt-del from DOS days you know.

Well, its like 4 or 5 extra keystrokes for one.

Netscape has one or two cool ones that IE does not.
In N. I can hover over a link, right click, T, and that new link opens. Haven't found one to replace it in IE. Its faster and easier for me. In IE I have to right click, move cursor over Tab then click that. arggh.
Another reason I miss Netscape (I can still use it for a lot of websites like POA still)
Middle mouse button click (or mousewheel click) does the same thing in IE.

Yes, I do.

I hear you don't need to do any of that on Macs- they are magical so they just know to do it :)

I hear you don't need to do any of that on Macs- they are magical so they just know to do it :)
From the perspective of keyboard shortcuts -- Mac OS can be incredibly annoying. Mostly if you're a Windows user used to certain shortcuts.

Well, its like 4 or 5 extra keystrokes for one.

First, [W]-L and ctrl-alt-del use both hands for me, and take the same amount of time, and is automatic.

Second, it's 2 extra. [w]-L, ctrl-alt-del space

And how is that your concern either way?

i looked all over my Mac keyboard and cannot find this "Windows" key to which you refer.

First, [W]-L and ctrl-alt-del use both hands for me, and take the same amount of time, and is automatic.

Second, it's 2 extra. [w]-L, ctrl-alt-del space

And how is that your concern either way?

Am I not allowed to have an illogical pet peeve?

why is windows-l better for locking? other than keystrokes.

I once had a machine that if I hit C-A-D, it would hang forever (and I once left it over a weekend) before popping up the Change Password/Lock/Task Manager/etc selector box...so Win-L was how I had to lock that computer.

why is windows-l better for locking? other than keystrokes.

The main reason is that its shorter keystrokes. Also, people tend to not hit space sometimes and don't actually lock their machines.

Not fun trying to fix a "Hasselhoffed" computer sometimes.

thanks nick! i like keyboard shortcuts.

On Mac OS it's extremely annoying that there isn't a good way to lock your screen with a keyboard shortcut. You can define a hot-corner that'll lock your screen if you put your mouse in the corner of the screen .. that is about it for official ways.

One way to do it is this:
In this particular case, we’re going to use a combination of Automator, a terminal command, Snow Leopard’s new improved Services and a system-wide keyboard shortcut to enable a hotkey that will suspend the currently logged in user session and display the Login Window as though you had chosen the “Login Window…” option from the Fast User Switching menu extra.
Soo easy! Why didn't I think of that!

Edit: Hey. It worked! I can now lock my mac from the keyboard! lmfao

Last edited:
On Mac OS it's extremely annoying that there isn't a good way to lock your screen with a keyboard shortcut. You can define a hot-corner that'll lock your screen if you put your mouse in the corner of the screen .. that is about it for official ways.

One way to do it is this:

Soo easy! Why didn't I think of that!

Is it as easy as VI?

I'll never forget that discussion at 6Y9 about how easy it is to use. LOL.

Nick- You and I share the exact same pet peeves! I've got my entire office using Win-L, except for those on IBM laptops, which lack a windows key.

Is it as easy as VI?

I'll never forget that discussion at 6Y9 about how easy it is to use. LOL.

You know, the fact that Macs now actually have a command line and things like vi (never capitalize in Unix...you oughta know that!) may actually have me take a look at it someday...but then, back when I was a PC tech, we had a saying when people wanted us to work on Macs that still hangs with me "We don't do fruit!"

Apple lost me when they killed the //gs...that was one sweet machine for someone who first started learning on the ][+. I once owned an Apple ][e with 1MB of RAM...I had every single application I owned loaded up on a RAM disk!

Nick- You and I share the exact same pet peeves! I've got my entire office using Win-L, except for those on IBM laptops, which lack a windows key.

Lenovo has a utility that you can use to map keys on the laptops. I used to have a T-42 where I'd mapped the Right-hand Alt key to be the Windows key...I used the Windows-key shortcuts so much I had to find a way to use them!

Lenovo has a utility that you can use to map keys on the laptops. I used to have a T-42 where I'd mapped the Right-hand Alt key to be the Windows key...I used the Windows-key shortcuts so much I had to find a way to use them!

Great tip! I have a T-43 at work (much of the department has T-42s) in my desk drawer (I had them buy me a nice desktop to replace it :) ) so I'll hand this tip on.

Much appreciated.

Great tip! I have a T-43 at work (much of the department has T-42s) in my desk drawer (I had them buy me a nice desktop to replace it :) ) so I'll hand this tip on.

Much appreciated.

The screen on my -42 died, so it's now a desktop with a monitor for me, but also with a keyboard too so I don't have to worry about that!

I've always found it amusing when I see people lock their desktop when they don't have a password on their user account.

One I use often when googling... Ctrl+F - Opens a Find... window. Helpful when you're looking for info on a specific error and you get a link in Google to a forum where the information about the error could be 3/4 down the page.

I like the ASCII characters that you don't find on the keyboard. <ALT>248 gets me the degree sign°. <ALT>138 produces the è I use when I type "Rèsumè." Yeah, Canadian. <ALT>3 I use when emailing my wife♥

extend.gif

Dan

What's wrong with you guys. Doesn''t anyone use the commandline anymore????

rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation

A mere 42 keystrokes :D

Dang sure does. I think this is the first time I ever hit that key on purpose. Wondered what it was for.

Oh...and Windows-E opens up "Explorer" to find files on your system.

You still have a T-42? I was happy to trade mine in, but I had to take the HP option as the Lenovos have cameras. Same reason you'll wind up with an HP when you refresh.

Back