Key West

tsts4

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Auburntsts
Flew down to Key West to have lunch at the Florida Keys Seafood Festival. Went down and back IFR and ATC was pretty accommodating getting us direct to EYW just past Ft Myers and direct Tampa Exec again just past Ft Myers on the return. Ft Myers Approach was busy as hell and I’m glad I was just an overflight.

Took an Uber to the fest, had a great lunch and listened to some great live music. Even bought a few nick-nicks.

FWIW, Signature Key West sucks, but the local ATC was top notch and the weather was fantastic.

. 248CF7E3-747A-4696-9EB2-AF9CBF150243.jpeg7D2FA257-3076-4961-9311-C9188172B11F.jpeg619E603A-282B-47CF-AF00-9B9B97097333.jpegView attachment 114014B7A46626-6532-42DA-9269-EC4CA7B8E1AB.jpeg

What were the signature issues?

Just the overall experience— attitudes, expense, etc. I felt like we were a nuisance even though we weren’t the only piston single on the transient ramp. I get that in Key West that everything is expensive and expect that, but coupled with less stellar service leaves me wanting. Almost the stereotypical indifference to a single engine piston on a ramp with a lot of biz jets.

Apparently, that they suck. ;-)
Just the overall experience— attitudes, expense, etc. I felt like we were a nuisance even though we weren’t the only piston single on the transient ramp. I get that in Key West that everything is expensive and expect that, but coupled with less stellar service leaves me wanting. Almost the stereotypical indifference to a single engine piston on a ramp with a lot of biz jets.

You gonna leave a review on Airnav and Google? Poor customer service is one of those things I'm always happy to point out.

Apparently, that they suck. ;-)

You gonna leave a review on Airnav and Google? Poor customer service is one of those things I'm always happy to point out.

I dunno. I could have just caught them on an off day and we had a great time regardless. I’d be more inclined if I had some history of crappy service with them or they did something really egregious like ding the plane. I guess in the end I was just surprised at the ambivalence. No matter— the important thing is Key West is still a great place to visit. The only real issue is we only stayed a few hours before heading back home.

Key West Signature is like all the other Signatures. I stayed a few days on Key West a while back, I thought they were fine. I don't pay attention to attitudes, I asked for what I needed and they supplied it to me without hesitation. It's not like flying into a little airport with a mom and pop FBO, they have a lot of moving parts and they were real busy, but they had me pull to the front of the FBO, towed my airplane to the tiedowns, fueled it as I asked. Pick up was easy, they drove us to the tiedown. It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't that expensive either. I would fly there again, and hopefully will in March.

Anyone have experience flying into Marathon?

I have. Like Key West, fuel is expensive but otherwise pretty average experience.

It's not like flying into a little airport with a mom and pop FBO, they have a lot of moving parts and they were real busy…

True statement plus they were operating out of a temp trailer as their main facility is under construction.

I would fly there again, …..

Ditto— now that I know what to expect I’ll manage my expectations accordingly

I'm not a fan of Signature, but I don't think this had to do with Signature, or with you being a piston pilot.
And I do love Key West,
But there is very little work ethic in Key West. Almost everyone down there while working wishes they were somewhere else. Except for the bartenders. They are exactly where they want to be.

Back