Keeping endorsements with you- required?

warthog1984

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
LanCA'r
For those of us unfortunate enough to be subject to the one-time endorsements, are we required to have the endorsements (and therefore logbook) with us when flying? Or is it just the plastic license and there's no way for anyone to verify an endorsements during a ramp check / CBP search?

Just your plastic and medical. Students are required to carry logbooks to show solo endorsements. (?)

If there is a request for such data they will ask you to bring in proof to the FSDO by appointment.

Edit: and your govt issued photo ID, and Passport for border crossing.

Last edited:
You mean like: tailwheel, HP, or Complex?
Methinks it would only be necessary if you are renting or get into an accident -- otherwise tell anyone asking, "Standby one" until you can retrieve it, {Also ask why they are asking}

You mean like: tailwheel, HP, or Complex?
Methinks it would only be necessary if you are renting or get into an accident -- otherwise tell anyone asking, "Standby one" until you can retrieve it, {Also ask why they are asking}

I would have to search back through a few years of logbook to find those endorsements :D (40)

Just your plastic and medical. Students are required to carry logbooks to show solo endorsements. (?)

If there is a request for such data they will ask you to bring in proof to the FSDO by appointment.

Edit: and your govt issued photo ID, and Passport for border crossing.

Correct.

Stand by, the hangar lawyers will be along shortly to expound and bloviate on this.

I got the high performance endorsement twice so I wouldn't have to dig through all my old log books.

What is your certificate level?

Private pilots, and "above," no.

Student and recreational, sometimes yes. Sport pilots, yes.

All nicely set out in the rules.

NOPE, not required, once your a licensed pilot.

All ya need is your license, medical and govt' issued photo ID.

If anyone needs to see an endorsment, BFR, total time, whatever they can request it in writing and I'll get back to them.

NOPE, not required, once your a licensed pilot.

All ya need is your license, medical and govt' issued photo ID.

If anyone needs to see an endorsment, BFR, total time, whatever they can request it in writing and I'll get back to them.
Although there are only like 300 of them, I would say that Recreational Pilots are "licensed pilots", and there are times set out in the applicable regulations when they must have their logbooks with them. See 14 CFR 61.101 for details.

A pilot landed near here after making a landing on a farm to market highway, (something with the sump leaking), and then flew away to land at the next airport.

The highway patrol wanted to talk with him and look at his documents -- and he wasn't carrying anything. No medical, no PPL license, no logbook, but the plane did have the registration and airworthiness. (And he had ID that satisfied the police he was who he said he was.)

He told the police he was very tired, so they took him to a nearby hotel. While he slept they logged onto the FAA site, found everything in order. Got him the next morning, took him back to the airport, wished him a safe flight and away he went.

I was there when he left that morning, heard the police wish him a safe flight, and he took off. The rest of the story I heard from the FBO operator.

I think nowadays the info is readily available to all the government agencies, so they can check about as quick as we can hand over the documents. Also, for a tailwheel endorsement or other endorsement, who checks except when there is an incident or accident?

Last edited:
Although there are only like 300 of them, I would say that Recreational Pilots are "licensed pilots", and there are times set out in the applicable regulations when they must have their logbooks with them. See 14 CFR 61.101 for details.

Oh ok,

I'll amend that, all ICAO recognized licensed pilots :)

I'd say sport pilots are "licensed pilots" also. And 2hy 61.101? You don't have to go any farther than 61.51 (aptly entitled "Pilot Logbooks" for those folks who do need to carry their logbooks:

61.51(i)(2) - Student pilots on cross country flights
61.51(i)(3) - Sport pilots
61.51(i)(4) - Recreational pilots on certain flights
61.51(i)(5) - Sport instructors on instructional flights

Almost:

(3) A sport pilot must carry his or her logbook or other evidence of required authorized instructor endorsements on all flights.

(5) A flight instructor with a sport pilot rating must carry his or her logbook or other evidence of required authorized instructor endorsements on all flights when providing flight training.

Some like to keep their endorsements in a separate binder or log or whatever so they don't have to carry their entire logbook around (for the same reasons most of us don't care to keep our pilot logbooks in an aircraft).

Back