Keep old Intercom or get new Audio panel

AK737pilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
Hello all,

I'm in the process of purchasing a 182. It doesn't look like there's been any avionics upgrades in a while and I'm considering doing some.

Here's what's in it:
KA-134 Audio Panel
KLX-135(A?) GPS/COM
TKM NAV/COM
ADF from the land of the dinosaurs
Sigtronics Intercom (not sure what model or how old)

I flew the airplane, and while communication and intercom were satisfactory, it was nothing special.

Would it be worth it to remove the Sigtronics intercom and KA-134 and get a new audio panel with intercom? Will audio quality justify the expense of the new units?

Also, both Garmin and PS Engineering have a non-TSO version of their panels. Is TSO required for audio panels??

Does anyone have any experience with the 3D sound technology? Useful or just a gimmick?

PS Engineering vs. Garmin vs. Trig??

I like PS Engineering over Garmin.

That being said the headsets you use is going impact how they sound. I've used my own light speed Zulu 2 on both a GMA340 and a PMA8000T and the 8000BT is better

I replaced my audio panel in my 182 last year when I did the ads-b upgrade, I installed the Garmin 340 transponder and the GTX 345, I like it! The audio panel install is pretty pricey! You are looking at $5-6K if you do a 4 place intercom!

As an A&P I'm hoping to do the install myself... especially if I go with PS Engineering and get them to make the harness.

How hard could it be, right?? LOL

I had a sigtronics intercom and music switcher as well as a kma-24 audio panel in my 182, it sounded great but the audio soft mute was a bit annoying. I replaced them with a ps engineering 8000bti and am reasonably satisfied.

While a lot of people bag on the sigtronics, it was completely noise free. After a $6000 install with a reputable shop the ps engineering unit has a TON of background noise. 5 visits to the avionics shop, a capacitor, and new p-leads and its still there... I run my radio's hot and my headset level low to help the signal to noise ratio.

On the other hand the automatic squelch on the 8000bt is just perfect. It works all the time, no more fiddling with squelch on the ground then after takeoff. It's simply amazing. The Bluetooth is also great for reducing wire clutter in the cockpit.

All and all I have zero regrets installing a modern full fetured audio panel in place of the old setup. The 3D audio sounded neat in theory, but I never use it. The ability to record and repeat the last transmition on either com is pretty great and something I never realized I'd use so often.

I had a sigtronics intercom and music switcher as well as a kma-24 audio panel in my 182, it sounded great but the audio soft mute was a bit annoying. I replaced them with a ps engineering 8000bti and am reasonably satisfied.

While a lot of people bag on the sigtronics, it was completely noise free. After a $6000 install with a reputable shop the ps engineering unit has a TON of background noise. 5 visits to the avionics shop, a capacitor, and new p-leads and its still there... I run my radio's hot and my headset level low to help the signal to noise ratio.

On the other hand the automatic squelch on the 8000bt is just perfect. It works all the time, no more fiddling with squelch on the ground then after takeoff. It's simply amazing. The Bluetooth is also great for reducing wire clutter in the cockpit.

All and all I have zero regrets installing a modern full fetured audio panel in place of the old setup. The 3D audio sounded neat in theory, but I never use it. The ability to record and repeat the last transmition on either com is pretty great and something I never realized I'd use so often.
If you have music muting on (without music playing) if you trip the VOX by blowing in the mic momentarily, does the noise go away and the slowly return?
What unswitched/unmuted inputs do you have? If you turn those devices off does the noise go away?
Give us a call and on Monday and we can help!
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering
865-988-9800

I have rather unkind things to say about the Garmin audio panel and their support of it when it fails. Keep what you have or go with PS Engineering.

The Signtronics panel mount intercom is pretty atrocious in my opinion. It has lots of problem with level mismatches when you'd have people with different model headphones. I never understood that because their portable (The SPO-22/42) works really nicely (I own two of them).

I used to have an PS-1000 and a KMA-24 audio panel and I regret the switch to the Garmin POS.

Back