Keep 530W when adding 750?

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I have a 530W and KX155. Several people have tried to fix the scratchy KX155 with limited success. Now my plane is in the radio shop for a new panel, JPI830 and ST901 upgrade to my STEC-30.

I am wondering what to do with my radios:

1. Swap the KX155 for a GNC255 and end up with 530W + GNC255.

2. Swap the 530W for a 750 and end up with 750 + KX155.

3. Move/Replace radios to end up with 750 + GNC255.

4. Move/Replace radios to end up with 750 + 530W.

Thoughts?

My Radio guy and AP disagree on the benefit of 750+530W. Radio guys say it is overkill and AP says he'd do it.

:popcorn:

I have a similar 750/530 argument going on. I've been evaluating a center stack upgrade and my avionics tech is really pushing to dump the 430 for a 750 and relegate the 530 to #2.

I know the WAAS units will cross-fill, but it probably means two expensive Garmin subscriptions?

Id say option 4..you already own the 530..make that the back up radio and the 750 primary GPS and radio. Then dual comm and dual GPS. Redundecy is the key. No sense in keeping the 155 if scratchy and no sense buying 2 new items when you already have the 530. Plus the stack will look WAY cooler!

That's just my thoughts and what I would do and I do lots of things that don't make sense as my wife will tell me.

As far as dual subscriptions...are the cards compatible? If so the 530 can always be one cycle behind and the 750 always current.

If I add the GNC255 or move the 530W to COM2, then I have to buy a new indicator, probably a MDE 200-706 since the GI106A is no longer available and my KX155 does not have glideslope.

I really want to get rid of the KX155 since it is scratchy about 30% of the time and I have to touch/press on the upper left corner for it to clear up. It makes me think it is a connection or ground problem but 3 techs have been unable to offer a permanent fix.

Price-wise right now I could easily just add a 255 and do the 750 next year. That would be about $5800 + install since I need the 255 and indicator. Where it gets murkey is if I add the 750. If I buy a 255 now, there is no way I will be selling it in a year, so eventually I'd have a 750 + 255. By using a 255 for COM2, I can sell the 530W for $7-8K towards the 750.

Or, I could just buy a 750 outright now, sell the 155 and have a 750 + 530. In that case, my stack would be 340 Audio + 750 on the left and 530W + 330 Transponder on the right. My radio guy is pushing for the 750+255 option as he sees no reason at all to have 750 + 530.

So it is now down to 750+155 or 750+530W.

Right now I can get about $8500 for my 530W so that is a consideration - not sure how long these will hold value or be serviceable by Garmin.

There is a reason most working IFR plane will have dual 530s or 750s or....

Honestly I'd almost save a little money and run dual 530Ws

Start by asking the question if dual nav is worth 20k? That will determine the answer.

Tim

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

I would try to get them to hook a GNC255 and a G5 HSI, no CDI need.

Or any HSI, HSI is kinda manadatory if you're spending time in the soup

One piece of information I'd wonder - what aircraft is this and how do you use it? What sort of flying? Also, financially do any of the options work for you or is budget a more significant consideration?

The ultimate a 530w and a750 w ,go for it.

Budget is not a huge concern... but I can't do the 750 and Aspen while keeping the 530W right now. Eventually (next year?) I will add an Aspen unit to get HSI.

I got my IFR ticket in March and this is all going in my Dakota. I fly from Reno to Michigan twice a year and with other trips do about 150 hours a year. We can't really fly IFR locally in Reno because IFR conditions usually means snow/ice or T-Storms.

... but it probably means two expensive Garmin subscriptions?

Not with OnePak. They license the database per tail number.

And if you're throwing away that much money on the equipment the subscription costs are chump change.

Budget is not a huge concern... but I can't do the 750 and Aspen while keeping the 530W right now. Eventually (next year?) I will add an Aspen unit to get HSI.

I got my IFR ticket in March and this is all going in my Dakota. I fly from Reno to Michigan twice a year and with other trips do about 150 hours a year. We can't really fly IFR locally in Reno because IFR conditions usually means snow/ice or T-Storms.
In that case, you have to ask yourself if you need two gps units. I tend to doubt it. If flying a lot of IMC or on either coast with lots ot airways two units can be very handy

Tim

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

The way I looked at things was I wanted redundancy in flight instruments and was willing to use a single certified gps. As long as I could aviate then I could use other tools to navigate if things went south. I got the Aspen first then got the 430w later (which replaced an ancient King GPS.)

The avionics and A&P are just guys helping you spend money. The won't have their butt in a seat when the vacuum pump goes tits up or some other aviating oddity occurs. Frankly I didn't know a vacuum pumps had tits...

When I installed my 750, I removed and sold my 430 and replaced it with a 255 and a 106b indicator. I didn't want to maintain a navdata subscription for both radios. I haven't been keeping the freq database on the 255 updated. If you are willing to give up the second g/s, you could use the built-in CDI on the 255. With the flightstream on the 750, I don't have to deal with the cards anymore.

I like the suggestion to use a G5 as the second indicator. With an Aspen, you need a backup AI anyway. The G5 wasn't out yet when I did my panel, but the price is similar to a 106b? I think the G5 will overlay lateral and vertical deviation indicators. Then you can pull out your vacuum system when you install your Aspen.

I have told my shop to go with #3: the 750 and a GNC255. I'll sell the 530W and KX155.

Back