KDVT Crash - Fatal

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
*Sigh* - fatal accident at KDVT this morning (home airport). Crashed on 7th Street next door to the FBI headquarters. I used to make a left turn onto 7th St every morning going to work. Same time as the crash too. RIP. A year ago an acquaintance of mine was seriously hurt (traumatic brain injury) when he lost his engine taking off on 25R and crashed onto 19th Ave.

EDIT: Plane is an Acroduster. Look at the video. Spun it into the ground :(

http://www.azfamily.com/story/38919...n-on-road-near-deer-valley-airport-in-phoenix

http://www.azfamily.com/story/38919...n-on-road-near-deer-valley-airport-in-phoenix

Last edited:
Some kind of sport biplane? Hard to tell from the video.

Some kind of sport biplane? Hard to tell from the video.

Idk, trying to figure it out myself. Never seen it before. Seeing them pull that guy out is haunting though.

I wonder if they hauled it off instantly, or it was utterly destroyed? I cannot discern any airplane-like shapes in the photos.
Edit: THAT was a biplane?

Last edited:
I wonder if they hauled it off instantly, or it was utterly destroyed? I cannot discern any airplane-like shapes in the photos.

The blue blob in this photo

17450042_G.png

Looks utterly destroyed to me. RIP, prays for the survivor.

Holy cow....so my friend was literally at the intersection when it crashed. Said the plane missed him by about 10 feet.

What's the engine out glide of an Acroduster like?

My buddy said he had his windows down and heard the engine quit. Steep turns to make the road.

I sent a video of that fatal spin accident in the Wittman to my buddy who was at the intersection (he isn't an aviation guy so he doesn't know much about airplanes and flying). He said it looked just like that spin video.

They have a pretty bad rep for snapping easily when G's are applied.

Sad. One of the most talked about subjects in GA safety and it continues to bite folks. :(

Sad. One of the most talked about subjects in GA safety and it continues to bite folks. :(

Yea :( Man...he had a nice long stretch of 7th street after that intersection too. It isn't all that busy either. He was really squirrely right before the spin.

Man...I love flying with all I’ve got, but sometimes I have to sit back and rethink a few things...

Terrible. :(

Man...I love flying with all I’ve got, but sometimes I have to sit back and rethink a few things...

No need to overreact, wait for the findings and then think about how you would handle the issue.

No need to overreact, wait for the findings and then think about how you would handle the issue.
Agree and remember your training. Practice engine-outs. A nearby pilot said he heard the engine quit. If you engine quits, get the nose down quickly and make that the first thing you do. Everything else is less important than speed to fly the plane. No matter what went wrong, this plane was in a spin.

Agree and remember your training. Practice engine-outs. A nearby pilot said he heard the engine quit. If you engine quits, get the nose down quickly and make that the first thing you do. Everything else is less important than speed to fly the plane. No matter what went wrong, this plane was in a spin.

And why you want to look for a landing spot 20* left or right of your present heading. (If it's a power out shortly after takeoff like this one may have been). If you're going to crank and bank, you will have to pitch the nose down even more severely such that you have the airspeed (lift) to support a big bank angle. Best just not to do it.

And why you want to look for a landing spot 20* left or right of your present heading. (If it's a power out shortly after takeoff like this one may have been). If you're going to crank and bank, you will have to pitch the nose down even more severely such that you have the airspeed (lift) to support a big bank angle. Best just not to do it.

Based on the video it doesn't seem like this was an engine out on takeoff. He was on a left base for 25L/R. He wouldn't be that far south in the video if he took off of RWY 7.

But I could be wrong...

but yea your right with regards to getting the nose down

Do we know if he was upwind or down? No post crash fire? No gas? RIP...

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

That's because the natural urge to pull back on the stick to keep the ground from getting bigger is one of those instincts that is tough to resist in times of high stress, despite training and experience.

We're never going to be able to talk enough to completely overcome human survival instinct.

That's because the natural urge to pull back on the stick to keep the ground from getting bigger is one of those instincts that is tough to resist in times of high stress, despite training and experience.

We're never going to be able to talk enough to completely overcome human survival instinct.

True

These stories always give me pause and I wonder how I would respond. Our survival instinct is a bit h to overcome so training is the only hope. My brother is my CFI and I'm working on my instrument. My wife just started training and has about 14 hrs. He's pulled the throttle at least 3 times on her so far and same for me- and usually when we least expect it. I am not suggesting for a minute this pilot wasn't well trained or prepared - we don't know what happened.

But being ready for an engine out is critical. Before takeoff we are required to review engine out procedure as part of takeoff brief: it's not for passengers- it's to remind pilot of the options and the plan at roll out, rotation, below 1000 feet and above 1000 feet. Very sad to see this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a lady in the front seat. Man in the rear. Both were Private pilots (relatively new ones at that from what I can tell on FB).

Last edited:
Interesting. Found both Facebook profiles. Both were very much into racing sportbikes. Looks like they went to AK this summer and got their seaplane ratings as well as their tailwheel endorsements here in AZ. Even had some aerobatic training in a Super Decathlon. Even has some video of her doing spins. Interestingly enough in the same Decathlon I am thinking about getting my tailwheel endorsement in. Wow...

I believe she was a veterinary surgeon

Interesting. Found both Facebook profiles. Both were very much into racing sportbikes. Looks like they went to AK this summer and got their seaplane ratings as well as their tailwheel endorsements here in AZ. Even had some aerobatic training in a Super Decathlon. Even has some video of her doing spins. Interestingly enough in the same Decathlon I am thinking about getting my tailwheel endorsement in. Wow...

I believe she was a veterinary surgeon

It also appears they'd just picked up the accident aircraft this weekend.

Looks like they had just acquired the plane a couple days ago. He (and perhaps she with him) owned an adventure-for-hire company called MillionWaysToDie.com .

Looks like they had just acquired the plane a couple days ago. He (and perhaps she with him) owned an adventure-for-hire company called MillionWaysToDie.com .

Appears that they found their one way.

This story just keep getting sadder...

Back