KBED

CMongoose

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CMongoose
I used to be based out of KBED, but haven't been there in years. Understand that it's not the friendliest place to transients these days, but in this case it is just the most convenient.

Does anyone have recommendations on FBOs there for a single engine Cessna, potentially parking overnight?

Also, do they still have the proplock rules?

Any advice would be appreciated.

M

Last I knew there was Signature and Jet. We usually used Jet, but that could simply be because the company negotiated a better deal. Both have good services, but Jet has free ice cream and soup.

They do have prop lock rules but have ones they can put on for you...you don't have to bring your own

You are correct pretty rough for transient singles

Last time I was there is because the wx was too low at my home field so I had to park overnight

If I remember right it was $15 landing fee, $40/day parking @ signature. Also about $6-7/gal for 100LL

The others fbos are similarly priced, I have heard third hand reatrix being a little cheaper but you aren't saving much

Besides the extraordinary fees they were nice enough there...didn't feel unwelcome, just bring your checkbook!

Last edited:
Jet is my pick for BED

is the restaurant called Davies Locker still down on the waterfront

@hotprops Are you thinking of New Bedford (KEWB)? If so no it's not. I heard another restaurant has opened in it's place.

Bed is now a mass port airport,therefor high fees ,high gas prices,tight security.jet friendly,not so much Piston singles. I prefer KOWD.

goose thanks for getting me straight i get my hanscom and my new bedfords mixed up .well its been 18 years .did New ort ever get there sign fixed?

goose thanks for getting me straight i get my hanscom and my new bedfords mixed up .well its been 18 years .did New ort ever get there sign fixed?

I'm based out of KBED and can't tell you how many times the weather briefer has given me a New Bedford briefing out of similar confusion.

well i guess not many noticed but for at least 6 years 94 to 99 the Newport small terminal shack sign was missing the P so New ort logged it that way all the time

Last I knew there was Signature and Jet. We usually used Jet, but that could simply be because the company negotiated a better deal. Both have good services, but Jet has free ice cream and soup.
There's an FBO with free ice cream? I'm sold.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I'm based at KBED. Rectrix is the most friendly FBO IMO but all are very pricey.
I would never stop as a transient.
You can stop at 6B6 (Minuteman) on the way in/out for fuel and save $4/gal (not a typo!)

OK, need to pick someone up in the Boston area next week, so I called a couple of the FBOs to see how much it would be. I'm only flying in a short distance, so there wouldn't be much need for fuel (wouldn't meet the minimum), and just for a short turn in a Cessna Single.

There's a $10 landing fee at Hanscom.

Rectrix told me it would be a $35 Ramp fee and $120 handling fee, plus a couple of other smaller recovery fees that I missed as I picked myself up off the floor (total approx $170 with the landing fee)
Signature $39 ramp fee and $20 parking and $5 massport recovery fee ($74 with the landing fee)

Out of curiosity I tried Signature at Logan and was told that the total cost would be $37 ramp, $31 parking, $72 security fee and $31 landing ($171)

Oddly it seems like using Rectrix at Hanscom is the same price as using Signature at Logan?

If I remember correctly, last time I was in White Plains, the costs were $20 parking and $40 handling fee. $60 total.

@Cajun_Flyer I remember you talking about the Logan and Hanscom fees in a thread somewhere recently (but couldn't find it). Do these match with the numbers you had?

@CMongoose - I'm based out of KBED, so I never pay landing or ramp or handling fees... that's insanely expensive. @neilw2 ... please tell me that's not what you paid when you picked me up?! If so, I owe you a flight somewhere and some free lunch upon arrival.

Someone on facebook recently landed at Logan and posted a picture of his bill... it was around $220.

What about Norwood or Beverly airports? I know Norwood is free.

Norwood is my backup. Unfortunately for Cambridge, BED is just so much more convenient.

I'm in in the same boat as you, the only time I ever flew out of there was as a base, so I never had to pay any of fees. Checked my logbook this weekend, I haven't landed there since 2001!

OK, need to pick someone up in the Boston area next week, so I called a couple of the FBOs to see how much it would be. I'm only flying in a short distance, so there wouldn't be much need for fuel (wouldn't meet the minimum), and just for a short turn in a Cessna Single.

There's a $10 landing fee at Hanscom.

Rectrix told me it would be a $35 Ramp fee and $120 handling fee, plus a couple of other smaller recovery fees that I missed as I picked myself up off the floor (total approx $170 with the landing fee)
Signature $39 ramp fee and $20 parking and $5 massport recovery fee ($74 with the landing fee)

Out of curiosity I tried Signature at Logan and was told that the total cost would be $37 ramp, $31 parking, $72 security fee and $31 landing ($171)

Oddly it seems like using Rectrix at Hanscom is the same price as using Signature at Logan?

If I remember correctly, last time I was in White Plains, the costs were $20 parking and $40 handling fee. $60 total.

@Cajun_Flyer I remember you talking about the Logan and Hanscom fees in a thread somewhere recently (but couldn't find it). Do these match with the numbers you had?

I have flown in there twice recently:

Once was because of poor wx at BVY, so I had to overnight it at BED at signature. That time they charged me the landing fee ($10), the parking fee ($20/day) and the $5 Massport (what is this really for?) fee. They waived the ramp fee w/ a fuel purchase at their ridiculous rates. I was rather low on fuel so I took them up on it, but probably didn't save anything (I think it was close to $8/gal).

The second time it was to pick up @Cajun_Flyer for the fly-in. It was literally a 2 minute stop over and she somehow conned the desk people into waiving all fees. So that time it was just the landing fees.

You're right, there is no place else reasonably close to get to Cambridge except Logan.

Oh, and don't let Signature call you a car either. Get an uber yourself. They called me a car to get home when I had to divert there. Almost $100 to get to Melrose from BED!

Heck, land at 2B2 and spend the money on a commuter rail ticket ($10-20) into Boston. Wouldn't be a terrible walk to the station, or an uber.

Be careful with uber. I had some friends that I had to pick up after uber wanted to charge them $100 to drive them 10 miles from Portsmouth, NH.

I fly a single engine piston to KBED once or twice a month for a weekend. The controllers have been very easy to work with. I would recommend Jet for an FBO choice. Most reasonable fees. Jet also participates in the AirBoss fuel program which saves .40/gal on 100LL.

Back