KBDN-KLAL

Schwbo

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Boaz
I’m looking to fly my CarbonCub from Bend, OR to Lakeland, FL for Sun&Fun and am looking for a good route which is also scenic. I’ve circa 4.5h of usable fuel and fly @100kts. Any suggestions?

If you have not flown over Canyonlands/Arches, I'd highly recommend it.

Sounds like a great adventure to me. How long of a leg are you comfortable with if you had to do between 7 and 10 legs along the way?

I haven't flown most of where you'll be on this trip, but looking at the map I would probably start with a route like this:

KBDN - KTWF 310 nm
- KCNY 311 nm
- KABQ via UT25 to see some monuments 317 nm
- KCDS 315 nm
- KOSA 278 nm
- 0R0 283 nm
- KECP 215 nm
- KLAL via TEPTE to remain feet dry 264 nm

I've been to KABQ and it was a pleasant experience, especially as a break from the turbulence that defines New Mexico. The FBO was really nice and the runways were really long. I haven't been to any of the other airports listed above but I'd be comfortable with the overall route in a Carbon Cub. The closest airports along this route that I've visited have been KVEL, KGJT, KJKA, and KCWC, all of which were pleasant and I'd stop at again, although for what it's worth my wife prefers KGJT over almost any other airport we've been to.

Flew it last year from Las Vegas to SnF in my Cherokee; stopped in Sedona - KSEZ - simply because it's stunning there, then ABQ, then thru several uninteresting stops in Texas , thence mostly followed the coastline with a few 'inland' fuel/rest stops. Return trip was purposefully longer to sight see and overnighted in New Orleans, Roswell NM (to see aliens..), Alamogordo (to see white sands park and the worlds largest pistachio...). Actually decided against KLAL and went instead to KGIF (they have a shuttle to SnF).

I bought an RV8A in Bend and flew it back to Brooksville FL in 2015. It was October and the weather was mostly good. I only had to go to 11,500 once on the I-80 Crossing of the Rocky Mtns. The airports I stopped at were as follows: KBND, KJER, KRKS,KGCK, KRUE, KDYA, KBKV. Spent 2 nights In Garden City, KS for weather, and one in Russelville AR to visit relatives. I was a new pilot at the time and it was an adventure I'll cherish forever. Good weather, a good GPS coupled to a good autopilot made it an easy trip!

Last edited:
I bought an RV8A in Bend and flew it back to Brooksville FL in 2015. It was October and the weather was mostly good. I only had to go to 11,500 once on the I-80 Crossing of the Rocky Mtns. The airports I stopped at were as follows: KBND, KJER, KRKS,KGCK, KRUE, KDYA, KBKV. Spent 2 nights In Garden City, KS for weather, and one in Russelville AR to visit relatives. I was a new pilot at the time and it was an adventure cherish forever. Good weather, a good GPS coupled to a good autopilot mad it an easy trip!
KRKS brings happy memories for me and I can recommend it. I was last there in April 2023 for a fuel and lunch stop. The FBO was nice and the microwave worked fine. We didn't check about courtesy cars to explore the Greater Rock Springs Metropolitan Area, though.

I’m looking to fly my CarbonCub from Bend, OR to Lakeland, FL for Sun&Fun and am looking for a good route which is also scenic. I’ve circa 4.5h of usable fuel and fly @100kts. Any suggestions?
Can you camp along the way or do you need motels? What’s the service ceiling of your Carbon Cub?

Back