Kayak in a C172N

Thank you for your insight. I read the positive Amazon Reviews for it too. Considering it is almost 1/10th the cost of the other one, I may just try that out and if I get too frustrated, sell it on Craigslist and buy the $700 AE yak. I currently have a 8-9 foot "lake" kayak that I got at Dick's years ago and is certainly not top-of-the-line, although it is hard plastic and not inflatable.
I can use the paddle that I already have, which is pretty good, imho.
we're not master kayakers, but I've had one adult and one 6 year old (call it 270lbs total) out on lake Washington with ease. it's highly stable, tracks well, etc.

it does have a rudder, so it goes along pretty well for an inflatable

It's cruel and inhuman to put a perfectly good kayak in a Cessna.
The horror. The humiliation.

I was planning on back-taxiing the runway, stopping the plane, then chucking the kayak out of the plane and then starting the plane and parking it, sans kayak. Guess I will have to call up my aviation attorney to see if that's legal to do...

Can't see why it would be illegal, though you'd be tying up the runway for a while so it might be an inconvenience to others who want to use it. I think you'd catch hell if anyone caught you walking on the tarmac, too.

I think you could fit that in my 172D. I have the extended baggage and if you pulled the back seat it might fit. Go to 1:42 of this video:

Its on my list to fly into the miracle mile and float it. I flew in there a month ago and fished. Awesome strip!

Last edited:
decimal point is one position too far to the right for my budget.

some of the smaller ones are half the price, but since 95% of my kayaking these days is in salt water in ocassionally big swell I would opt for the larger one. FWIW, it’s comparable in price with a similarly sized poly boat, but most of those would have a rudder at that price point.

some of the smaller ones are half the price, but since 95% of my kayaking these days is in salt water in ocassionally big swell I would opt for the larger one. FWIW, it’s comparable in price with a similarly sized poly boat, but most of those would have a rudder at that price point.
The price point isn't that far off, if you are going to use it regularly. I can think of a few other hobbies that cost quite a bit more (aviation?). Plus, it is an investment your health, just like a bicycle would be. Go for it!

Back