Kansas City Airports PIREP

ytodd

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Any feedback on KMKC (Wheeler Downtown) or KOJC (Johnson County)?

Ground transportation is no factor, just arriving in my 182, parking for the night and grabbing a little fuel. Wheeler has the cheapest fuel but that is not the deciding factor.

Thx.

Any feedback on KMKC (Wheeler Downtown) or KOJC (Johnson County)?

Ground transportation is no factor, just arriving in my 182, parking for the night and grabbing a little fuel. Wheeler has the cheapest fuel but that is not the deciding factor.

Thx.

Wheeler is fun. Get fuel at the self service fuel farm. "County" tie downs near the GA pilot's building are free I believe. Hangar One wants money to park and no place to tie down.

OJC and IXD are just a couple minutes apart, LXT is a little farther east.

MKC is great (that's where I'm based). Cheap self-serve fuel, nice GA "terminal," free tie-downs/parking (tell tower/ground you're going to the GA Terminal or self-serve pumps). Atlantic Aviation (formally Hangar10) is right next to the GA Terminal and can arrange rental cars or other ground transportation for you. It's right in the heart of downtown KC, lots of restaurants and such. I'd avoid Signature like the plague.

KOJC is also good, just more expensive on the fuel side and you'll probably pay a little for tie-downs. Very suburban, though there's plenty of food and lodging options nearby (though largely chain-y).

KIXD isn't bad, though more remote and fuel isn't as cheap as KMKC.

I prefer mkc to ojc. Right at the river market and a friendly group of GA pilots.

Lee's Summit (LXT) is my field of choice when flying to KC, unless I'm going way north up to Weatherby Lake or somesuch.

Nice field, active pilot community, great people at the FBO.

MKC is fun to fly in/out of too. Be aware of the TV towers immediately to the south.

Flying in next Tuesday the 22nd for a Royals game (have a friend on the team). Leaving Wednesday.

I have been into Lee's Summit a couple times, but I am looking to put a new pin on my map.

Last edited:
Flying in next Tuesday the 22nd for a Royals game (have a friend on the team). Leaving Wednesday.

I have been into Lee's Summit a couple times, but I am looking to put a new pin on my map.

Fly into KC International. It's a slow "B", and the ATC folks could not be more accommodating. It's a hoot landing at a big airport. Signature is the FBO. They are a tax pricey, but not bad. :yes:

Fly into KC International. It's a slow "B", and the ATC folks could not be more accommodating. It's a hoot landing at a big airport. Signature is the FBO. They are a tax pricey, but not bad. :yes:

They are desperate to increase traffic counts and are very accommodating to GA. Ramp fees and fuel prices might not be so friendly though.

I live pretty much right between IXD and OJC. Getting to the stadium in game day traffic can be an hour from OJC, a little more from IXD. I don't know drive time from LXT, MKC, or MCI. And that hour gets you to parking, not your seats.

KMKC will be, by far, the closest to Kauffman Stadium. The airport is basically on I70. Under 15 minutes (no traffic).

Lxt is closest to the stadium... I'll be at the game Tuesday as well....

Lee's Summit (LXT) is my field of choice when flying to KC, unless I'm going way north up to Weatherby Lake or somesuch.

Nice field, active pilot community, great people at the FBO.

MKC is fun to fly in/out of too. Be aware of the TV towers immediately to the south.

Where do you land for Weatherby? Roosterville?

MKC is really cool. Downtown urban airport with great views of downtown. Quick ride into the city provides a lot of great dining options.

OJC is nice too, a great little bar with good grub nearby is Austins at a 151st st. Or of course, there's a Joes BBQ not all that far either if you can get a club car.

And El Panzote (Mexican) and Johnny's BBQ next door, are just around the corner from IXD.

They are desperate to increase traffic counts and are very accommodating to GA. Ramp fees and fuel prices might not be so friendly though.

Call Signature at MCI and check whether they have any deal on ramp and fuel price. Usually its weekends that they waive their rip-off fees, but who knows, maybe they are willing to deal. Get the deal in writing via email.

KCAC at KOJC has treated me well. Lees Summit and KMKC would seem to be the closest to the Stadium.

Where is your pick-up coming from ?

Call Signature at MCI and check whether they have any deal on ramp and fuel price. Usually its weekends that they waive their rip-off fees, but who knows, maybe they are willing to deal. Get the deal in writing via email.
why would he do that to go to a ball game on the other end of town?

LXT has cheap gas and long runway, you should be able to get a rental delivered there. I am not sure about a courtesy car, but I doubt it.. 3GV is an option, but doesn't have much there.

IXD/OJC are a traffic jam away, and although MKC is cool enough, you can just do a T&G there if you feel the need, no reason to deal with the traffic unless you just want to stay downtown..

Where do you land for Weatherby? Roosterville?

I've flown into Rooserville just a couple of times...that's an interesting little sidewalk.

I've also flown into MCI a few times. I typically avoid bravo airports out of courtesy but, as others have mentioned before, MCI is a very dead airport for a class bravo.

LXT has cheap gas and long runway, you should be able to get a rental delivered there.

Yes, on two occasions, enterprise delivered the car and paperwork to the FBO and the FBO handled the transaction with me. Easy peasy. The FBO has the number of the local enterprise office. It's far better to set this up with the local office than the national reservation number...the local people know the system.

Last edited:
I don't think there is an FBO any longer, the city still has fuel pumps though.

I don't think there is an FBO any longer, the city still has fuel pumps though.

If you're talking about Lee's Summit (LXT), I just called and, yes, they still have an FBO. It's operated by the city and is open from 6am to 7:30pm daily. Renting a car from enterprise still works like I described above.

If you're talking about Lee's Summit (LXT), I just called and, yes, they still have an FBO. It's operated by the city and is open from 6am to 7:30pm daily. Renting a car from enterprise still works like I described above.

And they have MOGAS!!!!!!!

Jim

Turns out my wife will be at the game tonight, too.

Yeah , I seem to recall her mentioning that she has the hots for Alcides Escobar after she had a few beers at the Seward Brewery.

<whistles>

:goofy:

My buddy gets season tickets for his business client to use. He mentioned the other night he couldn't go so his wife immediately called mine. When I found out the seats are in the Diamond Club, I tried to tell his wife that mine couldn't make it so I'd have to go instead. Didn't work.

Anybody know a fellow nicknamed Barnyard Bob at KLXT? He used to make the Iowa City pre-Oshkosh party every year. He flies his RV (4?6?) quite a bit.

Jim

Back