Kaman H-43 Huskie

skier

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Skier
The Kaman H-43 has an interesting history. It was developed as a follow-on to both the K-225 which was the world's first helicopter to be fitted with a turbine engine and the HTK-1 which was modified to become the world's first twin turbine helicopter. The blades on the H-43, like other Kaman helicopters, are controlled via the servo-flaps seen about 2/3 of the way out on the blade.

The Huskie could be equipped with a fire-suppression kit and carry a small firefighting team to help rescue downed airmen. During the Vietnam war the Huskie flew more rescue missions than all other aircraft combined and between 1966 and 1970 the H-43 is known for having saved more lives in combat between than any other USAF helicopter.

As far as I know there are only two of these aircraft still flying anywhere in the world. The one pictured below is flown infrequently by Kaman for transition training K-MAX pilots. The other is operated by the Olympic Flight Museum in Washington.

There's a cool article about flying the H-43 in Vertical. Ok, technically it's about flying the K-MAX, but it does have a few paragraphs on training in the Huskie. https://www.verticalmag.com/features/goingsolo/

206ba8c5bbeed3f7900b6b68f5c66b09

7c16e8ac349c932b0d3adae3fcbd1c64

b4be5c82977299b986914ffebcad3049

92d288a42625250c010579200d6a5ea3

My first assignment in the Air Force was at Moody AFB in GA, 1968. There was 1, maybe 2 of these assigned there. Moody at the time was a pilot training base and they were used for rescue and fire suppression. They had a container that was hoisted by the helo that would be used on a fire if a plane crashed. Took a ride in one, was fun about all I remember.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Vi...d/509/Article/196061/kaman-hh-43b-huskie.aspx
050322-F-1234P-002.JPG

Last edited:
Perfect example of function over form. I remember seeing one as a kid and my father spending twenty minutes pointing out all the differences. Very cool machine.

I've always been curious to see the power train set up on one. The Corps has done several successful vertical replenishment exercises to forward bases using an autonomously piloted K-Max. If it gets taken out by an RPG you just lose a "thing" instead of a bunch of people.

My first assignment in the Air Force was at Moody AFB in GA, 1968. There was 1, maybe 2 of these assigned there. Moody at the time was a pilot training base and they were used for rescue and fire suppression. They had a container that was hoisted by the helo that would be used on a fire if a plane crashed. Took a ride in one, was fun about all I remember.

There were used for the same purpose at Ton Son Nhut.

Another floppity chopper with a very unique sound.
We had them in Ubon and Da Nang (that I have personal knowledge of) and they saved many lives.

Interesting. The folks at the Olympic Flight Museum claim theirs is the only one flying. Here's a picture...DSC03045.JPG

It's cool to see some people here who saw the H-43s in service. I wasn't expecting that when I posted since it is a rather rare helicopter.

Interesting. The folks at the Olympic Flight Museum claim theirs is the only one flying.

Haha, don't get me started on that. I noticed that about 5 years ago when I was browsing Airliners.net. I clicked on the "correct information" link on a photo that regurgitated the information from the Olympic Flight Museum to say it wasn't the only one flying. Airliners.net responded saying that they wouldn't change the information unless the photographer corrected it (or something along those lines). So I emailed the photographer who said they wouldn't change it since that it what the Olympic Flight Museum said. So I emailed the Olympic Flight Museum to ask about it. I think they say theirs is the only one flying in Military colors or something like that. Regardless, it isn't that important of a distinction. Whether you see the last of a breed flying or one of the last two, it's still pretty cool.

When I was a kid I lived close to Kirtland AFB. In addition to the century series fighters and the occasional B-52, B-58, and B-47, there were quite a few HH-3s and H-43s flying near my house. There was a SAR training squadron based at Kirtland that flew the HH-3s.

Those aircraft made me a lifetime air geek, I still run outside when I hear unique engine notes. :D

Back