K140 autopilot for g1000 172

Joffreyyy

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Joffreyyy
How does it work exactly? I asked my instructor and he didn't know how to respond and said he would get back to me how does it move the aeilrons/yoke? Thanks!

It depends on what kind you have but in general:
There are little motors that clamp onto the cables or lever that operates the ailerons and possibly the elevator or elevator trim if it has altitude hold and maybe the rudders if it has rudder control.
It can be set to follow the HSI, DG, VOR head or GPS head for its right and left. It can be set to follow the glideslope on a VOR/GS head. Some also have knobs that you can turn to a heading or just turn the knob to turn the plane. There are altitude hold and altitude select options. There is one simple kind that just attempts to keep the wings level (and sort of fly straight ahead).

lol, James!

I echo skydog's sentiment...I'm surprised (or not) that your instructor doesn't know this at least at a basic level. Colorado's thoughts are my understanding as well. Servos drive a clamp to the cable that moves the flight controls. Here's a video of one in action:

Do you/your instructor know how to operate it (hopefully you at least check the disconnect functionality during preflight??) or was the question more just how the guts of the KAP works behind the scenes? The biggest interaction "challenge" with the KAP in G1000 applications is that the KAP kind of operates independently, especially the altitude/VS/arming functionality, and a 3rd place to set your alt setting. Thus the desirability of those G1000 platforms that use the newer / integrated GFC700 instead of the KAP, in addition to the GFC's increased capabilities.

Even if you don't plan on using it (and you should know how at least at a minimum...could be a lifesaver in inadvertent VFR into IMC), you should for sure know how to address a runaway trim event, since there is also a servo that controls the elevator trim.

Back