Just the umpteenth OSA question.

TripleR

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
TripleR
Hello!

I'm looking for some clarification, from anyone in the know, about the requirements for obtaining an initial SI class I medical with an existing OSA diagnosis. Specifically, how far back does the FAA want to see in terms of CPAP compliance when issuing a medical cert for the first time? It's not clear to me if they want to see a full year or 30-90 days for an initial certification. It does seem clear that they'd want a full year from the 2nd exam onward, which makes sense.

Have never had an FAA medical -- this would be the first. My CPAP compliance for the past 12 months is pure garbage (~40%), but it's over 90% for the past 3 months and treatment is working well. Have wanted to pursue this for quite some time, but unfortunately an OSA diagnosis being such an issue didn't really occur to me until I got more serious about doing this and started researching info for the medical exam.

I've searched high and low, on this forum and elsewhere. While I've found lots of useful info about OSA and obtaining a medical, I have not been able to locate anything which answers this specific question. I do have a call in to a local AME, but have yet to hear back.

Any help is appreciated.

Would seem to me that they will want 365 days, especially if you have been treated more than a year. If you don't have a year's worth of data perhaps they will accept an affidavit? Regardless, you really need to consult with the AME that you will be using as not all AME's are the same.

Since this is your first medical I would highly recommend a consultation appointment first before the medical process is started to make sure there aren't any other potential gotchas.

Good Luck!

Not an AME:

>>>
*FAA medical certification is based on treatment for 365 days or 30 days for newly diagnosed/ treated. If less time represented, describe
<<<

So it sounds like they want to see whatever you have.

I don't know how long you've been treated, and I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

You'll probably hear from a real AME on this thread, though.

Thanks for the responses.

Matthew -- treatment has been ongoing for about 2 years.

Idahoflier -- I recently switched to a new GP so there's lab work and a physical coming up. I don't intend to make an appointment with the AME until that's done and results are in.

Local AME did actually call me back this morning and was more than willing to answer questions, get some info from me, and give a quick rundown on special issuance. The guy's basically retired, only in his office once a week, so seemed pretty happy to chat.

Here's what he wants from me: a report on the initial diagnosis, a 60 to 90 day compliance print-out, statement from my pulmonologist regarding efficacy of treatment, and of course have me sign a statement pledging my willingness to stay compliant with treatment. I believe I've seen some examples of these letters posted here. He also mentioned that he'd put a call into the FAA during my appointment to get a verbal acceptance of everything if all goes well. Certainly better news than what I was expecting and honestly surprised that he called.

I’ve been on that SI for nearly 20 years. Renewals are easy. But, yeah, you’re right, that first time it’s really confusing.

Thanks, guys. Looks like at the very least there’s no need to be concerned about having to present a full year for this initial exam. More than 6 hours per night is no issue. I really appreciate the help.

Back