Just talkin

You said "becoming a licensed pilot" have you even started lessons? If not, a 1st class is long ways down the road...

Hey guys!
<snip>
I'd go to FAA.gov and look there. I'd take what is posted here as advice and opinion, not law.

Having said that, why the rush on getting your 1st class medical? Is it for school? The only reason I ask is I thought that it took time to get it out of your system, and the more you spend between your last consumption and the test would only help your odds.
If there is a test, you don't want to go on that list... especially with the FAA.

EDIT: Never mind.... you answered it above.

Last edited:
Yes, I don't want to be on that list! How long does the medical process take generally? From exam to having the medical in your hands?

Unless there is some special condition requiring deferral or special issuance, it should be in your hands before you leave the office.

If school will accept 1st or 2nd class, why not just do 2nd at this point? Save money in less frequent medical exams. How long ago was last use? I am under the impression that if it is only marijuana, it only is detectable in urine for a few days to a week or so. Of course, I am neither a partaker or a doctor, so you might want to fact check what I think I heard somewhere...

The only times I have been drug tested was for pre-employment and random drug testing at the company I worked for at the time. I have been randomed three times in my career. I have never been drug tested for my medical. I have never had blood taken for a medical.

And do only second class for now.

For those that have been drug tested for a medical, I would like to know the rest of that story as to why the test.

If you are that worried, either buy a home test kit or go pay for a personal drug test and see what comes out.

Have you read FAA Part 67? The drug use requirements are there. 67.107 for first class, 67.207 for second class. Go to www.faa.gov and click on Regulations.

I agree that going for the first class medical is overkill. You won't need it until you either work as an airline pilot or for a company whose insurance carrier requires it. I never flew for an airline, but I did fly for companies that required an Airline Transport Pilot Certificate and a first-class medical to meet insurance requirements. That's way down the road for you.

Bob Gardner

If you haven't smoked dope since high school then a bllod test shouldnt matter. I really hope you quit. Your obvious concern speaks volumes.

There is no "drug test" on any medical. The test is purely for protein and sugar (though many doctors use the 7-in-1 test strips and you'll get tested for ketones and a few other things).

However, you better get your act straight. Once you sign on with any commercial operation, you can expect to periodically get called for a random drug test. You're not allowed any time to fudge that one. You pee on the spot or you lose your certificate. Fail and you lose your certificate.

For the medical, you pee in a cup and that gets tested for a few things, like diabetes, but not drugs. I *THINK* there is a question that you have to answer about "have you ever used illegal drugs" in the last 2 years:

Found it, question 18n.

http://flightphysical.com/Exam-Guide/Hx/Substance-Abuse-18n.htm

edit: I'd recommend looking at, and answering very carefully, any and all questions before beginning the real thing.

edit - edit: And even if weed is legal in your state, for FAA purposes it is still illegal at the federal level.

However, you better get your act straight. Once you sign on with any commercial operation, you can expect to periodically get called for a random drug test. You're not allowed any time to fudge that one. You pee on the spot or you lose your certificate. Fail and you lose your certificate.
:yeahthat: This is 100%. Commercial operators of any kind, (135, airline, etc.) do not tolerate any kind of drug use.

tumblr_my0zhqTdYZ1t9shtso1_500.gif

(Been wanting to use this for a while now!!)

Yeah, I see how that was definitely a mistake...is there any way to delete a thread?

No. But you can erase all text you typed, one message at a time. The problem with that is once someone quotes your message, you can't erase his/her message. So you have to ask each one to do that for you....

You said you quit a couple months ago?

Good, stay quit for another year, 10 months, and a day. Then you can honestly get past ONE part of 18n.

And you can train without a medical, but you can't solo.

jeffytheQuick said:
Jeffythequick said:
I'd go to FAA.gov and look there. I'd take what is posted here as advice and opinion, not law.

Having said that, why the rush on getting your 1st class medical? Is it for school? The only reason I ask is I thought that it took time to get it out of your system, and the more you spend between your last consumption and the test would only help your odds.
If there is a test, you don't want to go on that list... especially with the FAA.

EDIT: Never mind.... you answered it above.
Yes, I don't want to be on that list! How long does the medical process take generally? From exam to having the medical in your hands?

Serge Byakov, Yesterday at 2:05 PM
Yeesh. Get clean, stay clean.

I'd check at your school about the behavior code. Most 141 programs will throw you out if they find you tokin' or toked....that's the immediate problem. The long term problem is that weed and aviation are fundamentally incompatible, the stuff stays detectable in your system for months....

Read 67.307A(4)ii(b).

(b) No substance abuse within the preceding 2 years defined as:

(1) Use of a substance in a situation in which that use was physically hazardous, if there has been at any other time an instance of the use of a substance also in a situation in which that use was physically hazardous;

Abuse is defined as the use of the stuff in a setting that might create a danger. Don't be going there. You are NOT straight the next AM. ("but I feel FINE!")

Make up your mind that you want to toke or you want to fly. One or the other.
(Fully equipped drug and alcohol AME).

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back