Drug testing on FAA third class medical?

F

Frank Johnson

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here, so bare with me. I have been taking flight lessons at a local airport for a few months now, and I have just over 10 hours of flying so far. Just yesterday, my CFI told me I need to get a medical before I solo. My question is this: will I receive a drug test during said examination? Now I don't need a health lecture, but I have smoked marijuana recently (20 days ago) and I am wondering if this will be a problem. Any feedback would be great, and thanks in advance to all advice for my situation.
Thanks

colbert-3d-popcorn.gif

No drug test. Smoke it up. The pee test is for protein.

I CAN"T believe you said that.

Meh. Not like anything I say is going to make him put the bong down and get his life straight. Just gotta hope he is smart enough to avoid flying high. Or at least he stays the hell away from me when he does.

Potheads are a special breed.

Well, if he lives in CO or WA then he is not violating any STATE laws. Of course the FAA is a Federal org, so that might still be a problem. (all said as I enjoy the double standard of drinking a beer!)

I have to agree with Nick on this. As long as you have the human decency not to fly when you are or might possibly still be under the influence, then enjoy. If you do choose to be irresponsible and go fly, please just don't take any pax and fly in a secluded place so you'll be the only one mentioned by the NTSB.

Nothing I've read indicates that a medical includes a drug test.
However, question 18m on Form 8500-8:

HAVE YOU EVER IN YOUR LIFE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH, HAD, OR DO YOU PRESENTLY HAVE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING?:
Substance dependence or failed a drug test ever; or substance abuse or use of illegal substance in the last 2 years.

Answering "no" to this question is a federal offense, with possible serious penalties, including jail time. Answering yes will require you to explain your use, which will probably disqualify you.

HAVE YOU EVER IN YOUR LIFE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH, HAD, OR DO YOU PRESENTLY HAVE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING?:
Substance dependence or failed a drug test ever; or substance abuse or use of illegal substance in the last 2 years.

Answering "no" to this question is a federal offense, with possible serious penalties, including jail time. Answering yes will require you to explain your use, which will probably disqualify you.

Drugs are bad

Ever take someone else's prescription medication?

Naturally, most of you assume that I am a pothead. I have smoked three times in the last 12 months, the last times happens to be a few weeks ago. You also assume my life isn't straight. I have a part time job and am working towards a degree, but that's besides the point. Also, I would never fly under intoxication. I'm talking a friday night with friends once every few months, that's all I smoke.

However, say I were to check no on that question. While that would be a federal offense, how would my box checking ever be proven false if there is no drug test?

However, say I were to check no on that question. While that would be a federal offense, how would my box checking ever be proven false if there is no drug test?
Umm... By posting and admitting to it on a public forum using (what's assumed to be) your real name...? :dunno:

Naturally, most of you assume that I am a pothead. I have smoked three times in the last 12 months, the last times happens to be a few weeks ago. You also assume my life isn't straight. I have a part time job and am working towards a degree, but that's besides the point. Also, I would never fly under intoxication. I'm talking a friday night with friends once every few months, that's all I smoke.

For one thing, you could have an incident.

Every pothead says what you do. I hope you don't expect anyone to take it seriously. And anyone who went to college can SMELL it on you. I can just imagine the DPE's reaction when you show up for the practical test like that.

The name Frank Johnson is fake. And no, I don't plan on showing up to a medical smelling like pot. But thanks everyone for being truly helpful.

Well, one of the "special emphasis areas" in the practical test is decision making. You've already demonstrated two significant lapses. You're going to have an uphill battle....

Ever take someone else's prescription medication?

Not 20 days ago (or two years ago, for that matter), no.

But please don't misunderstand, I'm certainly not making any judgement. Just pointing out the ramifications of using then claiming you haven't.

I have too many friends who smoke pot... they are fun to be around and generally happy, but they are extremely laid back, low-strung and apathetic. Even when they haven't smoked in a while... so while smoking as infrequently as the op does hopefully won't have much of an effect, it should be noted that long term pot usage makes you into a person who is not a satisfactory airman. You aren't safe to fly just because you haven't taken a hit in a while.

I've never smoked pot but this thread is giving me a craving for some potato chips and pizza

And I suppose if you live in one of the new free-for-all states, you might be able to check "no" on that box in good conscience

I've never smoked pot but this thread is giving me a craving for some potato chips and pizza

And I suppose if you live in one of the new free-for-all states, you might be able to check "no" on that box in good conscience

It's a federal form, and pot is against federal law no matter what state you're in, so I'd think not.

It's a federal form, and pot is against federal law no matter what state you're in, so I'd think not.
No, you need to rationalize the form with the frame of mind of someone who smokes pot only now and then with friends, but "doesn't have a problem and can quit whenever they want".

.... Any feedback would be great, and thanks in advance to all advice for my situation.
Thanks
You're going to have to lie on 18n, which will be the basis of the feds making you wish you had not. You need to reconsider becoming a pilot.

No, you need to rationalize the form with the frame of mind of someone who smokes pot only now and then with friends, but "doesn't have a problem and can quit whenever they want".

Someone who smokes pot only now and then could be, really, anyone.
There's a huge difference between occasional use of anything (a drink, a drug, a food, etc) and habitual use. I don't think badly of someone who smokes pot occasionally, but I also wouldn't lie about it on a medical. But then, I'm just starting to go through this process myself (Thanks, Dr Bruce), and I'd be way to worried to lie about anything on it.

Someone who smokes pot only now and then could be, really, anyone.
maybe they could be anyone, but among our tenants they seem to be the ones who can't remember to pay the rent on time nor keep a reign on their kids.

Meh. Not like anything I say is going to make him put the bong down and get his life straight. Just gotta hope he is smart enough to avoid flying high. Or at least he stays the hell away from me when he does.

Potheads are a special breed.

Rant begins: there are people out there (and not me, I havent smoked pot of any kind since I was like 16) who smoke pot recreationally much like those of us who enjoy the occasional beer and dont necessarily qualify as pot heads. I know several very successful people who fit in this catagory and are not drugg addicts or losers at all...rant over, flame suit on.

Last edited:
Rant begins: there are people out there (and not me, I havent smoked pot of any kind since I was like 16) who smoke pot recreationally much like those of us who enjoy the occasional beer and dont necessarily qualify as pot heads. I know several very successful people who fit in this catagory and are not drugg addicts or losers at all...rant over, flame suit on.

But the med does not ask who occasionally uses. As a LE officer, I have taken a few polygraphs and psych evals. When any form asks for use within the last two years, that's exactly what they mean (recreation or chronic). Granted I know we are not talking about LE but I am sure if he wants to make a career out of flying it may lead him to a government Job where they ask if you have EVER used.

OP, even if you use the occasional weekend with friends you should stop now. Never know who at the FBO may smell the odor as they pass you in town.

No drug test. Smoke it up. The pee test is for protein.

And glucose, though many docs use a Chem 7 test strip because that's what's available easily (you'd pay less for the Chem 7 than for dedicated protein and glucose test strips as well) which checks for ketones, leukocytes, nitrites, pH, and blood presence as well.

Tell the truth and accept the hoops and delays. You will fly, eventually.

Here is how you get caught lying. Insurance companies! Looking for a way to avoid paying they will investigate which hand you wipe with.... Have a little incident like a taxi accident on the ramp. ANY misrepresentation will void your and/or the flight school's coverage. You will get sued into the next state. And the Feds will jump on the discovery bandwagon and put your bankrupt ass in jail.

DO NOT LIE!

Tell the truth and accept the hoops and delays. You will fly, eventually.

Here is how you get caught lying. Insurance companies! Looking for a way to avoid paying they will investigate which hand you wipe with.... Have a little incident like a taxi accident on the ramp. ANY misrepresentation will void your and/or the flight school's coverage. You will get sued into the next state. And the Feds will jump on the discovery bandwagon and put your bankrupt ass in jail.

DO NOT LIE!

Pure fearmongering. Aircraft insurance claims are virtually never denied for any reason. On the contrary, they are usually in a hurry to pay and clear their books. I've hauled planes out of fields had expired annuals or owner had no medical. Neither of those facts were germane to running it out of gas. Insurance paid no questions.

I challenge you to find an example of a denied claim for any pilot related reason that did not directly cause the accident.

Well, let's say you get caught in some other circumstance - and the FAA finds out about it after you have an accident/incident. The fact that you may have been clean at the time means nothing - you lied on your application, now please turn in all your certificates.

You may NEVER get caught. But if you do, it won't be pretty.

The bottom line is that aviation relies heavily on the honor system. You're expected to not use illegal drugs, not abuse legal drugs, and to tell the truth on your application. If it's ever discovered that you violated the honor code, then you run the risk of being expelled from the aviation community. And that happens more often than not - few people get a pass after an intentional lie.

Back