Just some questions

kangbroke

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kangbroke
I have always enjoyed seeing aerial views of things since I was a kid, We got our first computer in the late 90's and I remember my dad buying the Microsoft Flight Simulator and Joystick. I would spend hours flying around North America in different weather scenarios and at night.

I just graduated community college last June where I obtained my Associates in Computer Information Systems, I am currently enrolled full-time towards my Bachelors in Digital Media & Web Technology.

I am 30 years old, no health conditions, don't smoke cigarettes and rarely have a beer.

I contacted Middle River Aviation and they told me to come in for a "demo" he said it was about $150 for 30 minutes or about $225 for 60 minutes. I asked what this entailed, he told me that I would have a ground lesson and then actually fly that first day. I must say that that sounds hard to believe, is this normal to let any random person with $150 get in a cockpit? Honestly sounds like that wouldn't be a great idea post 9-11.

The guy informed me that I can get my Private Pilots license for around $7-8K and that I can get in within a year. My questions can likely be answered on 2-27-16 when I go take the "demo" but I like other opinions.

Anyone done something like this recently? After I take the first lesson for $150-225, how many more lessons are there and do they get more expensive or is each lesson $150-225?

Are there places that may be cheaper than Middle River Aviation? Like can I find a private pilot and have him teach me for less?

Then at the bottom of MRA website it says Approximate cost of associated items Training Materials $325.00 FAA publications $50.00 FAA check ride $400.00 FAA written exam $150.00 FAA flight physical $150.00.

What is a check ride? Does that come after I clock my 40+ hours with an instructor?

When you take the written exam for $150 is it like college whereas anything over 60% is passing? And if you were to fail do you get a free or discounted retry?

And what happens at a flight physical? Do you fail if you had a beer the day before? Do you fail if you smoked a bowl of pot 30 days ago and traces show? Is it just a turn your head and cough physical?

I want a pilots license primarily for personal-hobby flying. Not really concerned with a career flying right now, but you never know after I fly I may change my mind.

My dream would be to be able to own a cessna 172 or slightly larger aircraft that I can use to take scenic flights as well as pack up a buddy and fly to a vacation spot every so o

All inputs appreciated
grin.gif

I'd suggest you use the search function of this forum and find much useful information from similar questions asked.

To hit a couple of your easy ones:

-The price of the 'intro' is usually the same as the normal rental+CFI hourly fee. Yours seems high but it depends on the plane and the location.
-Flying left seat and getting to do some flying on the first flight is typical.
-The total price you were quoted seems too low for the rental rate you were quoted.
-Think of 'check ride' as the driving portion of your driving test. A 'pilot examiner' will evaluate your skills and pass/fail.

Welcome to the forum most of your questions ,are contained in different threads on this site.If you fail the written ,you have to pay for re tests,also a check ride failure will cost you for another try. Check around and stop by a few flight schools ,talk to the owner and some instructors.Then you can always ask for reports on specific FBOs

Q) I contacted Middle River Aviation and they told me to come in for a "demo" he said it was about $150 for 30 minutes or about $225 for 60 minutes. I asked what this entailed, he told me that I would have a ground lesson and then actually fly that first day. I must say that that sounds hard to believe, is this normal to let any random person with $150 get in a cockpit? Honestly sounds like that wouldn't be a great idea post 9-11.

A) This is called a discovery flight. You can do those without any documentation. If you want to continue with training, you'll need to bring in documentation. I did "Discover Flights" at three different FBO's (Fixed Base of Operation) before I picked one. That price seems high though. The three places I went charged me $100. Each of those flights ended up being about 40 minutes each.

Q) The guy informed me that I can get my Private Pilots license for around $7-8K and that I can get in within a year. My questions can likely be answered on 2-27-16 when I go take the "demo" but I like other opinions.

Anyone done something like this recently? After I take the first lesson for $150-225, how many more lessons are there and do they get more expensive or is each lesson $150-225?

Are there places that may be cheaper than Middle River Aviation? Like can I find a private pilot and have him teach me for less?

A) I took my "Checkride" right at about 60 hours of total flight time, and I spent really close to $8,000 when I was done, but I also shopped around for the cheapest airplanes and the cheapest instruction rate. I will say, I believe the $7k-$8k is definitely on the cheap side. I think $10k - $12k is more normal. It really depends on how hard you study and how much time you can devote to it. If you can go fly three times a week, you'll progress a lot more quickly, the lessons will be more meaningful and you'll pick things up quicker. My 60 hours were spread out over two years.

Q) Then at the bottom of MRA website it says Approximate cost of associated items Training Materials $325.00 FAA publications $50.00 FAA check ride $400.00 FAA written exam $150.00 FAA flight physical $150.00.

What is a check ride? Does that come after I clock my 40+ hours with an instructor?

A) The "Checkride" is the final test you take to determine if you get a pilot certificate. This checkride is administered after you pass the written test. It will likely involve about a two hour "oral exam" in which you sit down with an FAA approved and certified examiner who will basically just talk to you about airplane stuff for two hours. He is there to see how well you really know your stuff. You might be able to sluff by and get a passing score on the written test, but if you don't know your stuff during the oral exam, the examiner will know. The second part of the checkride is the practical test. You'll go up and go flying with the examiner. He will verify that you can complete all maneuvers and requirements per the practical test standard (PTS). This is a document that the FAA publishes.

Q) When you take the written exam for $150 is it like college whereas anything over 60% is passing? And if you were to fail do you get a free or discounted retry?

A) The test is 60 multiple choice questions. You have to get a score of 70% or better. If you fail the test, then you are out $150. There are no free re-takes. On top of that, your instructor has to endorse you for the test. You can't just walk in and take it. My instructor would not endorse me for the test until I had three consecutive practice scores above 90%.

Q) And what happens at a flight physical? Do you fail if you had a beer the day before? Do you fail if you smoked a bowl of pot 30 days ago and traces show? Is it just a turn your head and cough physical?

A) Others here know more about the medical exam than I do. But, in a nutshell, they want to make sure you won't die, or lose your ability to pilot a plane while flying. Vision, heart problems, or anything that would make you so uncomfortable that you could no longer pilot the plane, are all things that are fair game (i.e. migraines, kidney stones, etc...). The medical history questions can be found here:

http://flightphysical.com/Exam-Guide/Hx/Med-HX-18.htm

Q) I want a pilots license primarily for personal-hobby flying. Not really concerned with a career flying right now, but you never know after I fly I may change my mind.

My dream would be to be able to own a cessna 172 or slightly larger aircraft that I can use to take scenic flights as well as pack up a buddy and fly to a vacation spot every so o

All inputs appreciated
grin.gif

A) This is exactly what I am doing right now. I go flying about twice a month. I am taking all my friends and family flying with me. My parents wedding anniversary is coming up, and to help them celebrate, I am taking them on a short flight down to KAVQ (Marana, AZ) and I am going to buy them some breakfast there.

Flying is tons of fun! I love it!

Yeah, I usually see discovery flights at $99, even less if you can find a Groupon.

I've seen discovery flights priced anywhere from $69 to $400. The latter was conveniently "groupon"ed by 50%.

I won't give the latter a red cent, as I think that's dishonest.

Treat them like an interview you're giving. You're looking for an instructor you can "click" with. You're also looking for a professional rental outfit. Consider it a red flag if half the airplanes are down for maintenance, someone doesn't show, or there are other unexpected problems. Don't consider it a red flag if the airplanes are ugly or old, as long as they are airworthy. Also, weather cancellations are often both prudent and normal; you won't learn much in howling wind (at first) or clouds, and freezing rain is really dangerous.

I recommend 60 minutes, as 30 really isn't enough to do much. Your instructor should give you the controls for most of the flight, usually (but not always) excluding takeoff and landing.

You'll likely be told to bring a camera and take photos. That's your choice, but I think it distracts from the point, and it's really not likely to be your last flight unless it's something you would rather not remember.

There should be lots of good flying around Baltimore, especially toward the Eastern Shore.

Last edited:
I have always enjoyed seeing aerial views of things since I was a kid, We got our first computer in the late 90's and I remember my dad buying the Microsoft Flight Simulator and Joystick. I would spend hours flying around North America in different weather scenarios and at night.

I just graduated community college last June where I obtained my Associates in Computer Information Systems, I am currently enrolled full-time towards my Bachelors in Digital Media & Web Technology.

I am 30 years old, no health conditions, don't smoke cigarettes and rarely have a beer.

I contacted Middle River Aviation and they told me to come in for a "demo" he said it was about $150 for 30 minutes or about $225 for 60 minutes. I asked what this entailed, he told me that I would have a ground lesson and then actually fly that first day. I must say that that sounds hard to believe, is this normal to let any random person with $150 get in a cockpit? Honestly sounds like that wouldn't be a great idea post 9-11.

The guy informed me that I can get my Private Pilots license for around $7-8K and that I can get in within a year. My questions can likely be answered on 2-27-16 when I go take the "demo" but I like other opinions.

Then at the bottom of MRA website it says Approximate cost of associated items Training Materials $325.00 FAA publications $50.00 FAA check ride $400.00 FAA written exam $150.00 FAA flight physical $150.00.

When you take the written exam for $150 is it like college whereas anything over 60% is passing? And if you were to fail do you get a free or discounted retry?

And what happens at a flight physical? Do you fail if you had a beer the day before? Do you fail if you smoked a bowl of pot 30 days ago and traces show? Is it just a turn your head and cough physical?

I want a pilots license primarily for personal-hobby flying. Not really concerned with a career flying right now, but you never know after I fly I may change my mind.

All inputs appreciated
grin.gif

Welcome!!

So, your questions have been answered by and large here, but I wanted to share my experience with you, even though it has been over 10 years now:

Your first flight is a "Discovery Flight," and it is a sales tactic to get you hooked. Don't shy from it, because it is also useful for you as a prospective customer to see if your learning style jives with the instructor's style.

Your flight lessons will usually be billed at an hourly rate - both for the plane and the instructor (known as a CFI colloquially). The CFI will usually charge between $35/50 an hour, and the plane will vary depending on location. Remember, the hourly charge for the CFI doesn't necessarily equate to quality (i.e., a more expensive CFI is not necessarily better). A private pilot can help you learn and get familiar with the plane, but you cannot log hours with a private pilot - until you get your solo endorsement, you must have a CFI onboard to log time.

Forget the 40 hours. In my experience, very few people actually complete the checkride in 40 hours unless they started very young (like in their mid teens). You'll be ready when you're ready. Some people take 50 hours, some take 200. Personally, I took about 108.

One thing I'd recommend is getting a copy of the Medical Form from the FAA and looking through it to see if anything applies to you as a disqualifier. If they do, DO NOT PROCEED with the medical exam. Instead, focus on Sport Pilot instead until the FAA Pilot's Bill of Rights 2 passes (if it ever does).

Lastly - 9/11 was not a GA specific crime. The general public tends to forget that when they see how easy it is to actually fly around non-towered airports and cities without controlled airspace over them. Don't let 9/11 ever be a talking point for you - that was the commercial airline industry, which is WAAAAY different from what we do (we actually fly airplanes, they press buttons and sip coffee).

As for materials and such? You will need a flight bag or a duffel bag of some sort, whatever training materials and books your CFI requires, a logbook, an E6B Flight Computer, a plotter, and a few sectionals for your local area. I recommend investing in your own "Foggles" as hoods are very uncomfortable for simulated instrument flying. If you don't know what all of that stuff is, fear not - you'll learn very quickly as you get into it.

Enjoy your experience on the Discovery Flight, and if you have any more questions, ask them here! We're (mostly) a good group of pilots that like to help out.

Edit: by the way, on my discovery flight, the CFI let me do the takeoff by myself. Taking off is dirt simple. He tricked me into thinking I landed by myself as he "rode the controls down" with me, but not in a dirty way - he wanted to see me get excited about it. Landing is the more difficult part of learning to fly.

Edit 2: You're in Baltimore. I have no specific recommendations on flight schools, but guarantee you that there are many in that area that you can choose from. I wouldn't get too focused on picking the right one the first time. Try them all out and see which one works best. You happen to fly in an area of the country with the most restrictive airspace, bar none. That isn't a scary thing, its a good thing for a student, because you'll learn to be top of your game as part of normal flying. Avoid flying into the "Special Flight Rules Area" without permission and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

All inputs appreciated
grin.gif

Prices sound very high

I don't like places who tell you how many hours you're going to take before they even shake your hand. National average is around 60, some get it done in 40, some hit 90+ before they give up.

I'd look into getting your PPL at a mom and pop shop, look for a place which has 1000hr + CFIs, get your PPL in a glider then do your land add on, I you can't do that do it in a tailwheel plane, you'll probably pay less and for sure be a far better pilot for it.

As for the training materials, that's between a couple hundred to free if you use the dry reading FAA stuff, look into the King program, this can take your ground school to nearly nill.

OK, a couple of people have mentioned buying supplies.

Do NOT do this before picking an instructor and consulting with him/her. That's getting ahead of the game. Your instructor may "jive" with some books and supplies better than others. My instrument instructor really liked the Jeppesen books, but he ultimately left it up to me. My primary instructor was straight-FAA. My own preference is Rod Machado's books. I've found almost all the videos, apps, and DVDs to be useless for me, as the pace is totally wrong.

Your mileage WILL vary. But the task at hand is finding an instructor and getting a "feel" for how instruction works. Not picking up every supply you're going to need for the next six months. You don't know what those are yet, and flight instruction is enough of an information firehose without cramming multiple books and videos in there.

A three week delay in a demo sounds odd. There just aren't that many student pilots around. Is it a pilot mill promising airline training? You might not be a great fit if it is.

Last edited:
I've seen discovery flights priced anywhere from $69 to $400. The latter was conveniently "groupon"ed by 50%.

I won't give the latter a red cent, as I think that's dishonest.
Kind of, but Groupon takes a HUGE cut - and they're probably breaking even on the flight with that deal.

Kind of, but Groupon takes a HUGE cut - and they're probably breaking even on the flight with that deal.

It's still fraudulent to double a price and then cut it in half as any type of "sale," regardless of who makes the profit.

Discovery flights are loss leaders. No one makes money on them.

Post 9-11. As much as some people would like to make of this, a Cessna 172 isn't going to cut it as a terrorist weapon. Do you remember the January 5, 2002 attack? That was a 172. And that's why you probably never heard of it.

Medical - don't confuse being in good health with passing an FAA medical. Look at the old form the FAA used. https://www.leftseat.com/Programs/85008.htm You don't use that any more, but the questions are the same. Things like being denied life or health insurance are the sorts of things that throw the FAA into a tizzy. If you check yes (or not sure) on any box, do your homework before you see the medical examiner. If all the answers are ALL no - then all you have to do is fog a mirror.

A few super conservative numbers as i found them last year getting my PPL.

- Budget at least $15k to get this done. If you fly more frequently and have aptitude it could be as cheap as $7-10k if you fly something that's relatively inexpensive like a C172.

- Give yourself 6-9 months to finish it. There will be a lot of time spent just getting used to operating a machine in a 3d plane. it's not easy nor fast. it just takes practice.

- If your super disciplined and want to save the most money, pass your written before getting in the plane. I don't think this is optimal nor natural in learning, but it will save you time and money when your in the air learning things you should of already known on the ground.

Good luck, it's worth it.

My discovery flight was a few months ago and it was $99. Got the ground lesson then up we went. After we got to around 3000' he handed over the controls to me. I did straight flight and turns for maybe 20-25 minutes. It was awesome.

I'm just over 30 hrs now. At first you will have dual instruction and that is billed at their highest rate. At some point you will solo and after that you will be cleared to do some solo flight lessons. The solo lessons are plane rental only and are a lower rate.

What you pay for each lesson will depend on if it's dual or solo and the time on the Hobbs meter. I just got back from a 2.3 hr dual cross country lesson. The front desk people were gone but they are going to hit me up for about $500 the next time I show my face in there. I did a solo lesson last week for just over an hour, it was under $200.

I don't have what I've paid to date in front of me but I expect the grand total to be around $8000. I know I'm over $4000 now and right at 30 hrs.

Talk to your FAA medical doctor BEFORE filling out any paperwork.

Last edited:
Last I checked, the national averages is about 70-75 hrs for the private check ride.
Shorter if you are in a collegiate or part 141 program.

Yes I did mine in 42, but that was over 40yrs ago in a small college program.

I agree with James here. If I could re-do my life, one thing I would change (and recommend to anyone who asks) is getting the glider rating first. It costs way less, it's heaps of fun (if you love flying), gets right to the chase (no radios, glass, nav, gyros, towers, engines or other distractions), and gives you an excellent foundation for the rest of your flying career.
Just think about the time/money you'd save on "engine-out practice". :)

Last edited:
It's still fraudulent to double a price and then cut it in half as any type of "sale," regardless of who makes the profit.

Discovery flights are loss leaders. No one makes money on them.

Yeah, and I've never done it, but you are thinking about it wrong. Small company, shallow pockets, huge insurance costs and overhead, need to get some visibility. You can't afford to eat 50% of not a profit, but a break-even cost per flight hour on the planes. Here in Dallas $120/hr may be just enough to break even on a 172 depending on your mechanic and hangar. Groupon takes like 50% or more of the DISCOUNT price. It's how Groupon works and pretty much everyone that knows anything about Groupon knows what is going on.

Yeah, and I've never done it, but you are thinking about it wrong. Small company, shallow pockets, huge insurance costs and overhead, need to get some visibility. You can't afford to eat 50% of not a profit, but a break-even cost per flight hour on the planes. Here in Dallas $120/hr may be just enough to break even on a 172 depending on your mechanic and hangar. Groupon takes like 50% or more of the DISCOUNT price. It's how Groupon works and pretty much everyone that knows anything about Groupon knows what is going on.

Then, the honest thing is to not use Groupon for this purpose, and get visibility by a less expensive means. It is not legitimate to more than double a price so you can claim a 50% off sale.

Demanding ethics from a vendor is not "thinking about it wrong." No one owes this guy a living, and he's preying on the uninformed.

Just a few tidbits:
1) $7-8k cost is ridiculously low for a school, it seems that they are lying to you to rope you in and then empty your pockets. Or ask them if they are willing to sign a contract to get you to your checkride for that cost. :)
2) Yes, the flight school will gladly put a total stranger in the right or left seat and let them fly an airplane. TSA doesn't give a sh*t. But when the stranger asks to train for a legal license, TSA gets on a high horse and now the stranger is a dangerous terrorist, until proven innocent (for several hundred dollars). Post 9-11 BS at its best. ;)
3) If you have the time and monetary resources (USD, gold bars, silver coins, whatever the school accepts) and if you are a bright individual, you can get a PPL in a month or two, depending on your schedule. A year is a looooong time to train. (approx only 1 measly hour a week)
4) You stated that your goal is to own an airplane to begin with. Why not buy it to train in? It has MANY advantages. Four biggest ones: you learn about every system in the plane, you treat it better, you can fly anytime, you can actually get your PPL for $7k for real. :)

Just a few tidbits:
1) $7-8k cost is ridiculously low for a school, it seems that they are lying to you to rope you in and then empty your pockets. Or ask them if they are willing to sign a contract to get you to your checkride for that cost. :)

That is incredibly harsh. If you figure they assumed the minimum 40 hours to get the PPL, then they are quoting $175/hr. That means the instructor is probably worth $50/hr and the plane is $125. You really think that is low? That is about dead on for most places I've seen, with the exception being the CFI at $35/hr and the plane at $140/hr. Either way, works out right onto the $7,000 figure.

Now, as I mentioned above, not many finish in 40 hours. But you can deduce their hourly rate and plan accordingly.

Just a suggestion (for the discovery flight) check out groupons... sometimes you get lucky and there is one available for introductory flights...

That is incredibly harsh. If you figure they assumed the minimum 40 hours to get the PPL, then they are quoting $175/hr. That means the instructor is probably worth $50/hr and the plane is $125. You really think that is low? That is about dead on for most places I've seen, with the exception being the CFI at $35/hr and the plane at $140/hr. Either way, works out right onto the $7,000 figure.

Now, as I mentioned above, not many finish in 40 hours. But you can deduce their hourly rate and plan accordingly.

You are right, I was not counting 40 hours but the national average and I was using our local Nuevo Kalyfornya rates that are not exactly low. I came to a number way above 10k.
The OP is from MA so I made a pretty safe assumption that he won't be able to gain access to cheap airplanes or instructors. And that landed the projected calculations in the 5-digit range.

Either way, flight training isn't cheap anymore. :( And one good way to save money is to own instead of rent.

Now go fly, people! It's a gorgeous day outside. (and I am stuck in the office)

7-8k is about right, if you're somewhat of a natural and do your training in something like a 7AC, 152, etc. Could be even lower if you were smart and went the glider route.

Think I was a bit under 8k when I got my CPL in the champ.

Just a few tidbits:

I checked out three flight schools in the spring of 2013. I did three "discovery flights". Each cost me $100. I finally started real training in March of 2014. I passed my checkride in July of 2015. I took a six month break from August 2014 to February of 2014.

My total cost was just over $8,000. If not for the six month break, I likely would have done it for close to $7,000.

It certainly helped that I started off in a Cessna 150 that cost me $80/hr wet and the instruction rate was "only" $45/hr.

You can get through your certificate for less than $8,000.

On the other hand, some people are past 100 hours when they take their checkride. If you are paying $150/hr for the plane and 80 hours of dual at $65/hr, then ya, $7k - $8k is not possible.

Just a suggestion (for the discovery flight) check out groupons... sometimes you get lucky and there is one available for introductory flights...

This is how I did my first "discovery flight". I think it was pretty close to $100. Looking back at my logbook, my three discovery flights were 0.6 (172), 0.5 (Warrior) and 0.8 hours (150).

My discovery flight was with a buddy in his RV-6. Can you say "fell in love"? :D

I haven't seen a single 150 or 152 in our neck of woods. Those would be great cheap training airplanes. However a 150 with 2 guys and fuel would not get off the ground in our 115-degree summers so PPL training would be limited to winter time. Now I see why we have no 150's around. :)

If this has been mentioned, I missed it, but if you apply for your student pilot certificate after March 31, 2016, then you will have to be vetted by the TSA before you can get one. That doesn't stop you from taking lessons, but it could delay making your first solo flight if you opt for accelerated training (i.e., a lot of lessons in a short time). The FAA's goal is to process the applications in a few weeks, but since this is a new requirement and it involves two bureaucracies, I don't think anyone really knows how long it will take.

If this has been mentioned, I missed it, but if you apply for your student pilot certificate after March 31, 2016, then you will have to be vetted by the TSA before you can get one. That doesn't stop you from taking lessons, but it could delay making your first solo flight if you opt for accelerated training (i.e., a lot of lessons in a short time). The FAA's goal is to process the applications in a few weeks, but since this is a new requirement and it involves two bureaucracies, I don't think anyone really knows how long it will take.

Great point! Also a good reason to go get the medical/student pilot cert ASAP to avoid the madness.

The operators at Martin State airport tend to be a bit pricier. You may save some money looking at the flight schools at Ft. Meade, Carroll County or Harford County airport.

And figure closer to $10k if you're like most people and drag out flight training over a longer period. Best advice is to get your money together up front and fly at least 2-3 times a week. Then you'll get closer to hitting the 40 hour mark.

Man sounds like most people here had it cheap...it will cost me 10-12k...anything over 50 hours and I am looking at spending more than that!

Just don't count on 40 hours. Very few people do that.

Be prepared to double it, and be happy if you don't. It sucks to get halfway through training and run out of money.

Just don't count on 40 hours. Very few people do that.

Be prepared to double it, and be happy if you don't. It sucks to get halfway through training and run out of money.

I went to my checkride with 40.2 in my logbook, does that count? :D
Okay, okay, I'll shut up now. :(

Make sure you have most of, if not all the money before you start your training. You don't want to start your training then have to stop because of funds. It will end up costing you a lot more. Also don't give any school money up front. Pay as you go.

Make sure you have most of, if not all the money before you start your training. You don't want to start your training then have to stop because of funds. It will end up costing you a lot more. Also don't give any school money up front. Pay as you go.

Disagree. If you have a plan to pay for your training as you go then start. If things change and you have to take a break, you take a break. Sure it might cost more, but if you wait until you have a bunch of money in hand you might wait forever. That's how I did it way back in the 70's. I wasn't making a lot of money when I started and I took a year off in the middle because I was laid off from my job when the company went under but I still finished and passed my checkride at 62 hours total. If I had waited until I had even 20% of the money needed, I would never have gotten my PPL.

Get an instructor with a syllabus, fly two or three times a week, and study every night after work; that will get you done really close to 40. Really focus on the landings and emergency procedures, if you can solo at or under 10, usually 40 is no problem. After that about the only things that will make you go over is conflicting schedules with the examiner, changing instructors, and weather.

I was signed off to take my check ride around 42 hours, ended up taking it at 52 hours due to waiting on weather and trying to schedule with the examiner. I would study or chair fly for two or three hours a night and fly minimum twice a week, if I could. The syllabus is really nice because you know what the next lesson will be and you can study the new maneuvers and be ready for your preflight brief, which will save a lot of ground time. Also get the PTS earlier and know the limits of each maneuver, be able to critique your own flying.

http://www.avweb.com/news/avtraining/186545-1.html Not me, but was my source of inspiration.

FWIW, The O.P. hasn't logged on since the original post - we are likely just talking amongst ourselves.

PS, I'm not totally sure what I paid back in 1974 - 76 but $36 / hour for the C152 airplane and $18 / hour for the instructor stick in my mind. This was a rather expensive operation using brand - new aircraft and associated with the local college, based at KPBI. So if I got it done with no savings and paying $54 / hour while making $3.75 / hour, or 14.4 x my hourly wage for dual instruction.

Back