Just passed my instrument written. 92%

I used Sporty’s as the basis for my training, went through all the video material, written material and their 849 test questions. Didn’t feel I mastered the material after that and spend a weekend in an intensive class, that I feel was a rather waste of time. After that spend two more days on my own going over all the material again and a morning with a CFII going over the the gaps I saw. Passed today with 88%, it was a difficult test, thought I would do better, lots of questions that I’ve not seen before and on topics that weren’t covered by Sporty’s or the intensive training.

I used Sporty’s as the basis for my training, went through all the video material, written material and their 849 test questions. Didn’t feel I mastered the material after that and spend a weekend in an intensive class, that I feel was a rather waste of time. After that spend two more days on my own going over all the material again and a morning with a CFII going over the the gaps I saw. Passed today with 88%, it was a difficult test, thought I would do better, lots of questions that I’ve not seen before and on topics that weren’t covered by Sporty’s or the intensive training.

Congratulations, I hadn't seen over half to three quarters of the questions either, but I expected that as Sporty's clearly said that the FAA doesn't publish the questions any more and most of the questions have been redone. I felt the Sporty's was good, but like you I didn't feel it was enough and they don't either. They recommended studying the material put out by the FAA, which I did and was very good. I passed the test over a month ago, I still study my notes and the IPH to keep it fresh for the check ride. Which at the rate I'm going right now will be in about a year. I hope to speed that process up.

Great job passing the written. Now go fly every chance you get.

I passed my PP ride 2 days after turning 49. Passed my IR ride at 59. And the IR took a number of years for a variety of reasons (multiple CFIIs, medical issues, etc.). I'm not IFR current and probably won't bother getting back into it. However, you'll hear that learning to fly IR will make you a better pilot and that is true. Even flying VFR I'm a lot pickier about my flying than I was before.

Have fun and keep up the good work.

Congratulations Andrew and Stephen you are on your way to much more utility when flying.

Rather than start a new thread, maybe I can piggyback on this one without hijacking.

First of all Andrew congratulations! Now go fly your butt off until you finish the check ride.

I personally am at a point where I need some encouragement. I got my private in 2011 And have flown a good bit of tailwheel and retractable time. I can handfly heading and altitude with the best of them and do great under the hood. I can fly approaches reasonably well with the 430 for fun and communicate with ATC no problem. I think I will be able to do the instrument flying, but I have to get a reasonable written score first. A few years ago I was on the verge of retiring and about to take the written, making 85 and 90 on the practice tests. I was going to knock out the written then fly until done as soon as I retired. Three days before retirement my wife of 42 died unexpectedly. I didn’t fly a lot for awhile and didn’t bother taking the written. At the time I was studying King.

Fast forward a few years and I now have my life on the ground back in order, have added a Mooney to the fleet to supplement my sweet taildragger Cessna 140. I got married a few weeks ago and my new Step Son in Law is a pilot. We were working on our writtens together and he was using Shepherd. I got it and am using both, but continually get side tracked. He passed his written with an 85 and flew his butt off until the checkride. I am real proud of him, but I am not making progress. He has a thriving and growing company that requires him to fly a lot and gets lots of stick time. He also is in his mid thirties while I am 68. I am beginning to think I am just over the hill since I am scoring 72 or so on practice tests no matter what I do.

If I could just get past the stinking written, I have the plane, resources and time to do the rest of it. I don’t want to settle for a 70 for fear of the Oral that I would have to deal with.

Any late in life instrument pilots out there with some advice?

Hang in there. After you complete the study course take several practice tests and note your weak points. Revisit the study material and bone up on the weak points. When you are start to score in the 90s on the practice tests, start to take them at least three time a day and schedule the knowledge test. You will pass the knowledge test with a good grade. And also, 70 is passing and a good DPE while required to cover the topic in the oral part of the practical will want to know you you would handle real world events, what is your "plan B", do you make safe decisions.
P. S. Nice Mooney.

Thanks for the encouragement. I forgot to follow up on the thread. I took the written about a month ago and got an 82. I never thought I would be pleased with an 82 on a test, but I am.

Then while waiting to get my Mooney back from the avionics shop, I tripped on the backyard steps and messed up my right shoulder. I now can’t handle the manual landing gear and will probably have surgery. I found a great instructor who is going to fly with me and handle the landing gear and we are even going to fly my 140 some. I might even end up taking the checkride in the 140 if I can get ready before the surgery.

I'm happy to report that I passed my Instrument checkride today. I'm going to relax, take a breath and then post some more details.
Nice work Andrew!! Working on mine now, although no check ride in sight yet.

Congratulations! I passed my IR check ride back in May. I have really enjoyed flying and filing IR. It makes things so much easier. 35 year gap between my PPL and IR! In another 35 years I may want to get my multi engine rating!

I've heard it is all procedures and regs post-ACS.

63 here...just got IFR ticket, 92 on written. I took a 40 year break from flying.

My advice...enjoy the study...make a hobby of it. If you don't enjoy the detail of IFR, ask yourself if IFR is for you. IFR is so different from VFR: intense, technical, details matter, etc. It helps if you like that kind of stuff...and if you are good with computers if you go glass.

And be prepared to lift yourself back up when it feels like you can't do it. So many times during the learning, I felt like I wanted to quit...that I wasn't up to my intense job (travel, long hours) AND IFR. But I just kept going. I was completely shocked and in doubt when my instructor said I was ready for the practical. He was right.

Finally, get a really good simulator...the best you afford and hook it up to www.pilotedge.net for real-time ATC practice and extensive training scenarios (I did all of them). I use Flythissim. If funds are tight, use Flythissim to learn and then sell it. The hours of training you save more than likely will pay for the depreciation of the sim.

I didn't find learning more difficult at 63 than when I was 17, but that's different with every person.

If you like studying IFR, you'll do fine.

Rather than start a new thread, maybe I can piggyback on this one without hijacking.

First of all Andrew congratulations! Now go fly your butt off until you finish the check ride.

I personally am at a point where I need some encouragement. I got my private in 2011 And have flown a good bit of tailwheel and retractable time. I can handfly heading and altitude with the best of them and do great under the hood. I can fly approaches reasonably well with the 430 for fun and communicate with ATC no problem. I think I will be able to do the instrument flying, but I have to get a reasonable written score first. A few years ago I was on the verge of retiring and about to take the written, making 85 and 90 on the practice tests. I was going to knock out the written then fly until done as soon as I retired. Three days before retirement my wife of 42 died unexpectedly. I didn’t fly a lot for awhile and didn’t bother taking the written. At the time I was studying King.

Fast forward a few years and I now have my life on the ground back in order, have added a Mooney to the fleet to supplement my sweet taildragger Cessna 140. I got married a few weeks ago and my new Step Son in Law is a pilot. We were working on our writtens together and he was using Shepherd. I got it and am using both, but continually get side tracked. He passed his written with an 85 and flew his butt off until the checkride. I am real proud of him, but I am not making progress. He has a thriving and growing company that requires him to fly a lot and gets lots of stick time. He also is in his mid thirties while I am 68. I am beginning to think I am just over the hill since I am scoring 72 or so on practice tests no matter what I do.

If I could just get past the stinking written, I have the plane, resources and time to do the rest of it. I don’t want to settle for a 70 for fear of the Oral that I would have to deal with.

Any late in life instrument pilots out there with some advice?

Last edited:
63 here...just got IFR ticket, 92 on written. I took a 40 year break from flying.

My advice...enjoy the study...make a hobby of it. If you don't enjoy the detail of IFR, ask yourself if IFR is for you. IFR is so different from VFR: intense, technical, details matter, etc. It helps if you like that kind of stuff...and if you are good with computers if you go glass.

And be prepared to lift yourself back up when it feels like you can't do it. So many times during the learning, I felt like I wanted to quit...that I wasn't up to my intense job (travel, long hours) AND IFR. But I just kept going. I was completely shocked and in doubt when my instructor said I was ready for the practical. He was right.

Finally, get a really good simulator...the best you afford. I bought Flythissim. If funds are tight, use it to learn and then sell it. The hours of training you save more than likely will pay for the depreciation of the sim.

I didn't find learning more difficult at 63 than when I was 17, but that's different with every person.

If you like studying IFR, you'll do fine.
Congratulations! :cheers:

Another suggestion...do your own memory sheet. I summarized everything I felt I needed to know on 2 pages of small print. Just the act of doing this helped me remember everything.

Great job Andrew. Keep us posted on your progress towards the checkride.

Gary

Well done. Now get your ticket wet and enjoy just a little more flexibility in flying trips. And welcome to the currency treadmill...

Back