Just out of absolutely idle curiosity

Frank Browne said:
It may be three now Ben. BTW the wife and I are going to the symphony this weekend. :yes:
cool.

gkainz said:
Ben, gotta tell you that your new avatar reminds me of "Men in Black" ... very spiffy!
Haha! Now, you know I have to wait a bit before I can give you more points!

Frank Browne said:
It may be three now Ben. BTW the wife and I are going to the symphony this weekend. :yes:
Point for you!

Hmmm.

I'm not sure I like how this is going...

Reputation is active as a feature here because we hoped people would treat it seriously. It's supposed to be a tool for the community at large to police itself, by giving them the ability to rate how positively or negatively someone comes across in their posts.

If people start just giving points out as a game, or to people they like, then it loses meaning at best, and becomes a clique thing at worst. Cliques + online communities = bad vibrations.

I'd personally appreciate it if people took reputation seriously, and kept their giving of points to themselves, so reputation would continue to have meaning. This isn't an order or a mandate or a policy, it's just personal preference.

Then again, if reputation doesn't work the way we hoped it would work, we'll just turn it off.

G

SkyHog said:
HAHA - my bad. I didn't mean to offend anyone, but I really liked that avatar for some reason. Once the pain goes away, I'll find an equally humorous, more woman friendly avatar to put up.

Its just too soon. The pain is too deep.

Nope, not offended... discusted not offended. :vomit:

Missa

wangmyers said:
NO WAY, CHUCK! Didn't you hear? I now have TWO POINT'S worth of reputation power! Oh, man I am giddy!

Is it legal to fly when drunk with power?

Greebo said:
Is anyone else rapidly approaching the conclusion that reputation points aren't really doing anything for anyone here? ;-)
Apparently they're doing something for Ben :)

I think it was a good reminder. I'd kinda forgotten about 'em.

-Rich

rpadula said:
-Rich

Me too, then I pasted all I could in a day. But I will say agian, most of them were not for this thread. They were for the other more informative threads.

Missa

Greebo said:
Hmmm.

I'm not sure I like how this is going...

Reputation is active as a feature here because we hoped people would treat it seriously. It's supposed to be a tool for the community at large to police itself, by giving them the ability to rate how positively or negatively someone comes across in their posts.

If people start just giving points out as a game, or to people they like, then it loses meaning at best, and becomes a clique thing at worst. Cliques + online communities = bad vibrations.

I'd personally appreciate it if people took reputation seriously, and kept their giving of points to themselves, so reputation would continue to have meaning. This isn't an order or a mandate or a policy, it's just personal preference.

Then again, if reputation doesn't work the way we hoped it would work, we'll just turn it off.

G

I finally found out how to give it, but how do you view someone's? Or view your own?

alaskaflyer said:
I finally found out how to give it, but how do you view someone's? Or view your own?
Don't know about someone else's but to view your own click on "User CP" at the far left of the blue bar.

Everskyward said:
Don't know about someone else's but to view your own click on "User CP" at the far left of the blue bar.

Hmmm, nothing in there about reputation points...maybe its because I don't have any? Oh well.

lancefisher said:
Is it legal to fly when drunk with power?
Haha--that's one for medical matters. OK, Chuck, I'll tone it down now, and keep my point-giving a more private matter.

But I have been giving them out to nice people.

Missa said:
Me too, then I pasted all I could in a day. But I will say agian, most of them were not for this thread. They were for the other more informative threads.

Missa
You mean you didn't find this thread jam-packed with valuable information? :p

rpadula said:

-Rich

I'll never forget that day I first saw your avitar...what in the world is that, looks like a rabbit with a pancake on it's head. A rep point for you, your bunny, and a pancake.

alaskaflyer said:
Hmmm, nothing in there about reputation points...maybe its because I don't have any? Oh well.

run your cursor over the green dot under people's avatar's. You will see statements like:
1. BLAH is an unknown entity
2. BLAH is on a distinguished road
3. BLAH will be famous soon enough

Not sure what all the titles or where the point breaks are but I have seen those.

Bill Jennings said:
I'll never forget that day I first saw your avitar...what in the world is that, looks like a rabbit with a pancake on it's head. A rep point for you, your bunny, and a pancake.

There is a whole page dedicated to Oolong.
doughnutsmall.jpg

A multi talented bunny to be sure, read about him here
http://www.syberpunk.com/cgi-bin/index.pl?page=oolong

alaskaflyer said:
You just joined, didn't you? I only had two until yesterday and I've been here almost a year. I think most people, including me, had forgotten about them until a couple days ago when Ben started this thread.

wangmyers said:
Do people still use the reputation points? I still do give them occasionally. I like them a lot more than the stars for posts.

Ben, I bad rep pointed you by accident (stupid window defaults to disapprove), I'm going to try and have Chuck help me fix it. Sorry :(

wangmyers said:
WHOA! Apparently I got three points, myself! And now I see that my "reputation power" is worth two points. What does that mean? I think it must be somethin' good!

:blowingkisses:

[Keanu Reeves] Whoa! [/Keanu Reeves]

I now have the power of 2! How cool is that?

Wow - this thread has netted me some serious Rep Points. For a while, I was #1 on the board. Now Greebo is ahead of me, and Ben is right behind me.

Amazing how one thread can make the difference.

Umm...More Rep would be great :D

This thread brought to you by the campaign to get reputation for Nick

SkyHog said:
For a while, I was #1 on the board. Now Greebo is ahead of me, and Ben is right behind me.

So, where do we find the rep rankings?

Bill Jennings said:
So, where do we find the rep rankings?

Explanation for rep points:

Click on "Members List" then click on "reputation" it'll sort it that way.

SkyHog said:
Explanation for rep points:

Click on "Members List" then click on "reputation" it'll sort it that way.

Bah! An also ran. :dunno:

SkyHog said:
Wow - this thread has netted me some serious Rep Points. For a while, I was #1 on the board. Now Greebo is ahead of me, and Ben is right behind me.

Amazing how one thread can make the difference.

Umm...More Rep would be great :D

This thread brought to you by the campaign to get reputation for Nick
Since I have the ability to manually set my own reputation to any level I like, you really should ignore me when reviewing reputation rankings.

Since I have the ability to set YOUR reputation to any level I like, you really should resist the temptation to reputation-fish. ;)

Greebo said:
Since I have the ability to manually set my own reputation to any level I like, you really should ignore me when reviewing reputation rankings.

Since I have the ability to set YOUR reputation to any level I like, you really should resist the temptation to reputation-fish. ;)
Your post reminds me of when I was a kid.

Dad
Mom
us 4 kids

Dad said you all have one vote....but just remember, I have six votes.

Back