Just hit me...

onwards

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
onwards
... just how incredible the privilege of flying is, and how much secret pride I carry in relation to having attained it last year at the tender age of 39, against all odds (being insulin-dependent).

I still grin like an idiot every time I get in that left seat. I still get the adrenaline rush with every takeoff, even in a calm and sunny day. My breath still stops momentarily whenever I get out of the pattern at my home airport, just because it's so hard to believe that I am, in fact, behind this amazing experience.

I still look outside from 2000 ft and am mesmerized by the views. I still love being on the radio, listening to the ATC calls, and actually understanding all of them, including the instrument ones now that I'm working on my IR. I am astounded by being able to think in 3D, being able to work out where planes are even if they are covered by clouds, just by listening to those calls. I still love every moment of a maneuver, when all I need to do is think about where I want to be and the plane sort of does it. That sense of wearing the plane keeps blowing me away.

And then the landing. Oh, landings. I still get a sort of nervous tingle when I get close to the pattern, visualizing an invisible square ending on the runway. Identifying the runway. Seeing the numbers. Talking to other folks when in echo or golf, and coordinating our approach so that we are all safe. If only drivers were as courteous as the vast, vast majority of pilots out there, we'd have a lot fewer accidents. I still love - absolutely love - the moment where I turn final, and see the white-on-red, and have the plane just slowly losing altitude, tracking that center line on the glideslope, and remembering just how impossible that simple feat was... what, a year ago? was I ever going to be able to land a plane by myself? but now the question is, can I make it so I can't feel the wheels touching the ground? and I still feel a great rush of accomplishment on the occasions when precisely that happens, even if these days it happens more often than not.

It had not yet grown old at all, not one bit.

I hope it never does.

[OK, return to your regular programming. No point to this post]

Wait till you go do something with an airplane and it feels "normal" and then it hits you agian how "un-normal" it is and how lucky you are.

Wait till you go do something with an airplane and it feels "normal" and then it hits you again how "un-normal" it is and how lucky you are.

Or you think the aircraft should do something and it just does without further conscious thought. "Better land on the numbers so I can turn off at the first exit" and then you make the first turn-off without trying. The first couple of times it happens are pretty special. It sure makes up for the times yer saying to yourself, oh crap, how do I salvage this mess?

It had not yet grown old at all, not one bit.

I hope it never does.

[OK, return to your regular programming. No point to this post]

Beautiful post. It hasn't for me after 35 years.....

:needpics:

Haha... had to do it.

Flying is amazing. And actually... pictures just don't cut it.

...in the head with a rock until the aviation thing goes away?

Sadly, I am virtually immune to such moments of epiphany. But I am mindful that for thousands of years, people looked up in the sky and wondered what it would be like. And I can go there virtually any time I like. A truly amazing thing.

Or you think the aircraft should do something and it just does without further conscious thought. "Better land on the numbers so I can turn off at the first exit" and then you make the first turn-off without trying. The first couple of times it happens are pretty special. It sure makes up for the times yer saying to yourself, oh crap, how do I salvage this mess?

Sliding through Class B into the Class D at KADS and finding your traffic that approach is calling out to you, assuming the #3 position for the runway easily and falling right into the pattern, and not thinking it's abnormal.... that's the kind of stuff that still gets me. It never gets old.

I landed on a 25' wide cropduster strip once with a 20 knot direct crosswind to pick up an instructor for a BFR, wingtips hanging 5 feet over the plowed edge on both sides - he watched me land and taxi back, he told me "I've seen enough, let's go up and make it legal." I'll never forget that one.

The look on my wifes face when I'm able to take her on a magic carpet ride to go see her sister across Texas on a weekend. That makes it special.

There's so much about flying that starts to seem "normal" and yet at the same time is so far from normal. I wouldn't trade for it - don't ever quit!

After 15 years, I am still amazed. What a privelege to be able to do what we do! Very few people on this earth get to do what we get to. I don't think I will ever forget that.

Great post onwards! You summed it up perfectly.

Great post and you make me yearn for when I get PPL. I hope to start this summer and wait to feel every thing you just posted.

What a great post. What you described so well is just impossible to describe to people until they experience it themselves. Thanks for the great thoughts, onwards

I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up. And I will never lose that wonderful feeling that "I am a pilot". Great post.

I just had one of those "Wow, I'm a pilot!" moments the other night. I was planning a little sightseeing trip for the family and it dawned on me what I was actually doing.

I recently sat and talked with an uncle who got his PPL some years back (1000 if you ask him). He got his while he lived in Hawaii. It's fun swapping stories even though my resume is much shorter than his.

Other than family, this is the best thing I've ever done.

Now, if the wx would just cooperate, I can get my family up for their first real ride.

Thanks for the reminder Onwards! It's only been a little over a month since I passed my checkride. I've flown about 25 hours already. If it's going to get old, I can't imagine that being any time in the foreseeable future.

BTW, you need to add PPL to your signature!

It's only been a little over a month since I passed my checkride. I've flown about 25 hours already.

[...]

BTW, you need to add PPL to your signature!

Ha. No, I wish to maintain the prominence of the wonderful merit badge or honorific given me by another member of the forum (as per my signature). I think the effect will just get diluted otherwise*

25 hours in a month? boy, and I thought I was flying a lot with my 10 hours or so on average every months since I got my license :rofl:

* maybe if the statement ever gets retracted (an apology would be nice too), but I doubt it will.

I still make airplane noises when I fly lol.

Nice post!

Back