Just got signed off for BasicMed

MassPilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaPilot
I just got back from my annual physical with my PCP and he did the exam and signed the form. It was a total non-issue. The exam was completely covered by my insurance. My last visit to the AME cost $175.

If it wasn't for BasicMed I'd be going to my ophthalmologist to have him do the 8500-7 form again in order to renew my 1-year Special Issuance. I would then have to wait months for the FAA to review it. Last year I lost half a summer of flying because they took much longer than I expected.

I just got back from my annual physical with my PCP and he did the exam and signed the form. It was a total non-issue. The exam was completely covered by my insurance. My last visit to the AME cost $175.

If it wasn't for BasicMed I'd be going to my ophthalmologist to have him do the 8500-7 form again in order to renew my 1-year Special Issuance. I would then have to wait months for the FAA to review it. Last year I lost half a summer of flying because they took much longer than I expected.

That is good news for you and many others. But there are still thousands of us that need/want to fly over 18k and into Mexico and Canada and over 250kts, so BasicMed is no good for all.

That is good news for you and many others. But there are still thousands of us that need/want to fly over 18k and into Mexico and Canada and over 250kts, so BasicMed is no good for all.
I don't really see your point. BasicMed obviously doesn't help everyone. It doesn't help people that want to start learning to fly and it doesn't help anyone that wants to fly professionally either. I have no desire to change careers or to fly outside the United States and I can only really afford to rent C172's right now so BasicMed is perfect for me and many others.

And/or more than 6000 #.

I don't really see your point. BasicMed obviously doesn't help everyone. It doesn't help people that want to start learning to fly and it doesn't help anyone that wants to fly professionally either. I have no desire to change careers or to fly outside the United States and I can only really afford to rent C172's right now so BasicMed is perfect for me and many others.
Right, it's aimed at single digit % pilot population that has to deal with a lot of nonsense from OKC. Doesn't bring anyone new into the fold.

And/or more than 6000 #.
You can't be captain of a 767 for Delta Airlines with BasicMed either and I don't think NASA is planning on letting their astronaut candidates use BasicMed as a substitute for their flight physicals.

I've been flying on a SI since I started in 2011. Last year, my SI took 6 months because of a request for more info. I lost almost the whole summer as well. I just dropped off all the paperwork to my PCP so that he could look it over and be comfortable with it before I go in. My medical expired at the end of January, so I'm pretty excited to get back up in the air. And knowing I won't have to deal with this for 4 years instead of 1 is huge. Massive dollar savings too!

Right, it's aimed at single digit % pilot population that has to deal with a lot of nonsense from OKC. Doesn't bring anyone new into the fold.
I bet the percentage is well into the double digits. Even if I didn't require an SI or have any issues with a regular medical, the BasicMed process was still easier and cheaper than an AME visit.

Just don't have a condition that requires an SI. Problem solved.;)

You can't be captain of a 767 for Delta Airlines with BasicMed either and I don't think NASA is planning on letting their astronaut candidates use BasicMed as a substitute for their flight physicals.
Many of the larger twins are over 6000#.

Honestly, for anyone over 40, this is a better deal. 4 years vs 2 years.
Only if you don't currently or don't aspire to fly the flight levels and/or fly a big twin.

Only if you don't currently or don't aspire to fly the flight levels and/or fly a big twin.
Before now the biggest aircraft that could be flown without a medical certificate were 1320 lbs. Now it's up to 6000. We're moving in the right direction.

Before now the biggest aircraft that could be flown without a medical certificate were 1320 lbs. Now it's up to 6000. We're moving in the right direction.
True.

Or people and cargo are getting larger...one or the other (or both) :)

It's time, I just send Dr Bruce a quick note to back up my assessment. If he agrees, I can get a one time SI, then continue to fly after that on BasicMed. I hope he comes to the same conclusion.

OP. Unless you still have a valid medical, do not fly until May 1. That's when basic med actually takes effect.

It's time, I just send Dr Bruce a quick note to back up my assessment. If he agrees, I can get a one time SI, then continue to fly after that on BasicMed. I hope he comes to the same conclusion.
No need for details but I just want to make sure you know that the list of medical conditions requiring the one-time SI under BasicMed is pretty narrow. If your last medical was valid after July 14, 2006 and wasn't suspended, revoked, or withdrawn, your last medical application wasn't denied, and you don't have one of the conditions called out by the BasicMed rules then you don't need to get an SI.

If a frog had wings, it wouldn't bump it's ass when it hopped.

This is one thing. There are other things. This thing works for some people. Other things work for other people.

I bet the percentage is well into the double digits. Even if I didn't require an SI or have any issues with a regular medical, the BasicMed process was still easier and cheaper than an AME visit.
Right, and not to mention 4 years vs. 2 for the 40+ crowd. That has to be a few percentage points. That will be my motivation to go that route.

No need for details but I just want to make sure you know that the list of medical conditions requiring the one-time SI under BasicMed is pretty narrow. If your last medical was valid after July 14, 2006 and wasn't suspended, revoked, or withdrawn, your last medical application wasn't denied, and you don't have one of the conditions called out by the BasicMed rules then you don't need to get an SI.

Sadly I'm in that very narrow zone, as I had AVR surgery a few years back, and that's one of the big three that still require hoop jumping.

For insulin dependent diabetes Pilots, Class 3 medical under SI limits you to US controlled airspace. I'm betting that Canada will reach a reciprocity on BasicMed before the insulin dependent SI allows flight outside of US airspace. For me, I'd rather be able to fly through Canada than at the flight levels above 18k.

Back