Just completer my first Pilots N Paws mission

Nick Geber

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
NIckG
Great day! Flew KHND to KSMO to pick up a rescue Maltipoo and flew him back to KHND via KAPV refueling stop.

So glad I signed up. Weather was fantastic as well

Attachments

• IMG_4190.jpeg
    IMG_4190.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 338734885_610200324289309_8494948291542031819_n.jpg
    338734885_610200324289309_8494948291542031819_n.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 32
Looks like a good day to fly with a dog!

Nice! Is it easy to join / get started?

yes. not really much to 'join'. just create an account on the website and start searching for flights you want to do (you can set up notifications for flights near you). when you see one you want to do, chime in on the thread that you're willing to fly from point A to point B on whatever day you're available. you'll start coordinating with other pilots who also chime in and next thing you know, boom, you've saved a puppy.

It’s easy to get involved. The hardest part is probably going to be figuring out what size crate you can fit in your plane.

Do they typically bark en route? That’d drive me nuts

why are they flown rather than driven?

Do they typically bark en route? That’d drive me nuts

why are they flown rather than driven?

sometimes dogs bark. because they are dogs.

sometimes they ARE driven and sometimes they are flown and sometimes a combination of both.

in all of the PnP flights I've done, I don't think a dog has barked once. they almost always just go to sleep.

Hey eman… what is the largest size dog you’ve flown in the Mooney? Crated or uncrated? The rear seat in my Tiger will fold down, but getting the crate in is the issue. Have to come in through the canopy opening and over the front seats. Maybe put it in and then unfold it?

I’ve been in working dog sports for nearly 2 decades. Flown more dogs into K model than I can count :)

This means I have a couple dozen aluminum dog crates (impact, kaloskell, airborne, east coast, ray Allen), some folding, that I can sell for those that fly “motivated” dogs.

Hit me up by PM and let me know what size you need. Most are at Brackett but I have some next to our paint hangar In Compton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dog sample is one. I've taken him up three times. Twice crated. He absolutely hates the crate, whimpering the entire time. I have doggie downers ready for him for Rough River.

Almost all of mine slept. The german shep sat up in the back seat the whole time, looking out the window. I’m pretty sure he knew he was going to his forever home.

He was on a harness that connects to a vetical strap that goes around my back seat….can sit up or lay down.

Almost all of mine slept. The german shep sat up in the back seat the whole time, looking out the window. I’m pretty sure he knew he was going to his forever home.

He was on a harness that connects to a vetical strap that goes around my back seat….can sit up or lay down.
Most of my PnP passengers were also happy to be in the plane, seemingly excited for the big adventure that would take them to a loving home. None have barked. Most slept the whole flight.

sometimes dogs bark. because they are dogs.

sometimes they ARE driven and sometimes they are flown and sometimes a combination of both.

in all of the PnP flights I've done, I don't think a dog has barked once. they almost always just go to sleep.
So you put ****** to sleep...:goofy::rofl::lol:

Last edited:
Any use for dog head phone type noise cancelation?

I’ve flown around 25 trips. Like said above, most sleep as soon as the engine starts. Only had one get sick, it was a nasty day, so I can’t blame him. Met a lot of good people doing these trips. It can be crazy to get all on the same schedule when doing a multi leg trip. Very rewarding experience though, especially when you get to meet the adopting family at your destination.

This momma and her pups was one of my favorites. I swear she knew she was on her way to a better life.
6B31BF85-0201-42C4-9FE7-41463E3E3D92.jpeg 269B3B95-E29C-4928-98BF-D00D8782FA8A.jpeg

Great day! Flew KHND to KSMO to pick up a rescue Maltipoo and flew him back to KHND via KAPV refueling stop.

So glad I signed up. Weather was fantastic as well

Public benefit flying is some of the most rewarding flying there is. Bravo!

Hey eman… what is the largest size dog you’ve flown in the Mooney? Crated or uncrated? The rear seat in my Tiger will fold down, but getting the crate in is the issue. Have to come in through the canopy opening and over the front seats. Maybe put it in and then unfold it?

When I was in a club I used the Tiger for a few PnP style trips. The Tiger was by far the easier of Cessna 172's, 182's, or Mooneys. Using soft-sided collapsible crates and with the back seats folded, it's easy-peasy. I flew 3 Shelties in one trip in the Tiger with no issues loading/unloading.

I've flown 2 in the Mooney at a time, but the back seat is harder to load than the Tiger. A top-loading crate in the baggage area of a Mooney works quite well, though, and if they're calm/small/trustworthy enough just a few blanks and a seatbelt leash clip works nicely.

I've only had one dog make a peep, and it was early last fall on approach into the Memphis area. It was hot, bumpy, and I could hear howls from the back of the Mooney. (I'd probably have been howling, too, if I was back there. :) )

Back