Just bought my first NFA item!

The problem with building "off the books" NFA items is that at some point you are going to want to fire them. Then somebody sees you, and the jig is up. You might get away with it if you have a couple hundred acres is Idaho or Wyoming.

An AR-15 is turned into an M-16 with about $50 in parts, all easily obtainable. But the same problem as above applies. Not worth it to those of us with families and a desire to live outside the prison system.

I keep saying I'm going to buy a suppressor but have yet to do it. I usually end up buying something else, mostly because it doesn't require the several month wait.

I set up a trust a year ago and have done nothing with it.

There is always something more pressing to spend that money on, for me. I guess I like the idea of it, but not enough to lay out the scratch. :lol:

Is there a general calculation for how much velocity or accuracy you lose shooting through a suppressor?

It depends on the actual firearm, barrel length, type of suppressor, caliber, etc. There are multiple variables, so there is not one rule of thumb, nor standard calculation. However, to decrease the noise level, the round used will often be subsonic, so heavier bullets at lower velocities are popular unless you really need to hit something at a long distance.

I've been doing some research, and for a AR-15 platform with a short barrel (10 inches or so), .300 Blackout looks like a good choice for what I want to do. I don't believe it loses velocity by being suppressed, and there are many bullet weights available as it's standard .30 caliber.

Last edited:
I understand the manufacturing isn't that difficult.

Dirt. Simple. If the barrel has threads on the end, you can make a very good silencer very easily. All you are doing is dispersing and diffusing the shock wave from the gas expansion before the bullet leaves the bore.

Rifles I build the suppressor over the end of the barrel and cut the gas vents into the last 6" of the barrel itself to retain rifling on the bullet all the way to the end of the bore which eliminates the accuracy degradation you typically see with smooth bore suppressors.

The biggest benefit I see with this technique though is with a 12 gauge shot gun. I gas relief and suppress the barrel then weld on a 3" long choke down to 20 gauge and I have the ultimate turkey shoot jackpot gun. It sends a wad of pellets down range so dense it takes out a disc 1.25" in diameter completely.

You can only pull it out of the case for the big jackpot though, because they only let you shoot it once.:lol:

"'Tis a poor craftsman that blames his tools".

People are doing a lot of voice to text in the car and elsewhere. They know that you can understand even if it is not precise. Grammar Nazis be hanged. I personally try to maintain precision in my writing, but I've caught errors after the fact, too.

I didn't think they were accepting eforms again yet.

my last can I got this summer, I think it took 4 or 5 months.
sold all the MG's, just too much money laying around, not getting shot.

I've done the form 1 thing, the form 3 thing... gets old.

If you have a fully automatic weapon, no one should know, registering it would defeat the purpose of having it.

If you have a fully automatic weapon, no one should know, registering it would defeat the purpose of having it.

The overwhelmingly vast majority of people that own full auto weapons, legally use them for recreational shooting only. Full auto in smal arms (rifles) does not realistically get you much as it is really used for suppressing fire, and eats through limited ammo resources at a distrubing rate.

The overwhelmingly vast majority of people that own full auto weapons, legally use them for recreational shooting only. Full auto in smal arms (rifles) does not realistically get you much as it is really used for suppressing fire, and eats through limited ammo resources at a distrubing rate.

No argument on the usefulness of automatic weapons in an unsupported combat situation. But if you are unsupported none of it really matters, you'll die or be captured. I got over shooting full auto for fun, it got boing and noisy. Went down to Lock and Load itch some friends in town and shot a few full autos and saw I can still keep the rounds where I want them, but damn, it costs a minimum of a couple hundred bucks for a 'full auto package' with not a bunch of ammo.

No argument on the usefulness of automatic weapons in an unsupported combat situation. But if you are unsupported none of it really matters, you'll die or be captured. I got over shooting full auto for fun, it got boing and noisy. Went down to Lock and Load itch some friends in town and shot a few full autos and saw I can still keep the rounds where I want them, but damn, it costs a minimum of a couple hundred bucks for a 'full auto package' with not a bunch of ammo.
oh look, more pontificating from mr clueless here.

go back to your other post where you encourage people to commit felonies by owning unregistered NFA items, that's an all time great one.

oh look, more pontificating from mr clueless here.

go back to your other post where you encourage people to commit felonies by owning unregistered NFA items, that's an all time great one.

Is your penis like one of those button mushroom penises? Are you less than 5'4? Do you live with your mother? Does she massage your pathetic little penis for you? What do think the source of your psychological dysfunction is? Were you molested as a small boy? Did daddy abandon you? Mom? Were you bullied and called stupid in school? I bet that happened a lot huh? People putting you down because you're kinda stupid huh? Pontificating isn't something you really understand or cotton to is it? Thinking isn't something you like to do, is it?:popcorn:

Oh look, more useless talk from the king of uselessness.

Which are the reasons I would get one. Though I understand the "because I want one" answer. I was just wondering if there was anything beyond David's - I want one.

Agree with all the above, hearing protection (I only have one good one left) and disturbing neighbors, etc.

But other reasons I want a can for the AR is for hunting hogs or deer + hogs. Shoot hog A and hog B doesn't hear it and maybe you get two. Or perhaps you get a deer and then a hog.

Finally, for home defense. If I have to shoot some ******* for entering my home I'd prefer not to go deaf just because he chooses to be a criminal idiot. The home defense scenario would require some creative safe storage options since I have kids around - unless there's a semi-auto with integrated suppressor that is holsterable. :D

Then again, I guess if it's at home I don't need to conceal so I can use an OWB holster. Still tho, I prefer to conceal even at home.

Last edited:
Back