Just bought my first NFA item!

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
20% off at the local class 3 dealer.....unfortunately I lost the rifle in a tragic boating accident. How long has it taken others to wade through the paperwork process?

20% off at the local class 3 dealer.....unfortunately I lost the rifle in a tragic boating accident. How long has it taken others to wade through the paperwork process?

Not clear on NFA but the reference to class 3 leads me in the direction of an automatic weapon?

6-9 months, unless they did the E-File on a suppressor.. Then you could be looking at 3 months..

Congrats! I want to do a suppressed SBR in .300 BLK. I just have to get off my *ss, and do a trust.

Why do you want a 200 yard rifle?

I'd like to shoot heavier loads, subsonic, mostly for range work as most of my shooting is 100 yards and less. I already have longer range rifles that can reach out and touch "something". 7.5 French, 8MM Mauser, 5.56, etc. My next bolt gun will be in .260 Remington. And yes I reload.

Haven't bought any new cans recently but my paper stamps took 10 months and my e file took about 5 months from what I remember.

Not clear on NFA but the reference to class 3 leads me in the direction of an automatic weapon?

NFA, national firearms act. Title II firearms are typically referred to as NFA items. Short Barreled Rifle/Shotgun, Suppressor, AOW and Destructive Devices, as well as machine guns.

I've got a couple items I'd like to SBR, but not knowing when I'm going to move, I'll just hold off until I get to where I'd like to live.

Did you go the trust route?

Last edited:
NFA, national firearms act. Title II firearms are typically referred to as NFA items. Short Barreled Rifle/Shotgun, Suppressor, AOW and Destructive Devices, as well as machine guns.

I've got a couple items I'd like to SBR, but not knowing when I'm going to move, I'll just hold off until I get to where I'd like to live.

Did you go the trust route?

I don't trust no one. I would not license or register any weapon or part of one. If I want a silencer, I will build one and that will be all there is to know about it. If I want a gun, I go to the parking lot of a gun show, and I buy what want direct from someone's van or trunk and the only paperwork involved says In God We Trust. If the government wants to arm me, then they have a right to know about my arms. If I'm arming myself, they can **** off.

Why the desire for a silencer beyond "because I want one" ?

It makes shooting a little more conevenient and less bothersome to neighbors and others. Also if using for home defense, indoors, it avoids the potential ear damaging, and disorientation that comes from muzzle blast.

Really, though I think most get it as another toy. I don't have a burning desire for one, but it makes sense for the rifle I'd like to buy/build.

I may have posted this elsewhere:

23253197799_cf8aed97e8_z.jpg

Part of the magazine rack at my local Blue Ridge, GA's Ingles.

Look to the lower right and you'll see a whole magazine devoted to "Suppressors"!

And a local drug store sells them!

original.jpeg

McCaysville%2BDrug%2Band%2BGun.jpg

Last edited:
It makes shooting a little more conevenient and less bothersome to neighbors and others. Also if using for home defense, indoors, it avoids the potential ear damaging, and disorientation that comes from muzzle blast.

Really, though I think most get it as another toy. I don't have a burning desire for one, but it makes sense for the rifle I'd like to buy/build.

Which are the reasons I would get one. Though I understand the "because I want one" answer. I was just wondering if there was anything beyond David's - I want one.

Which are the reasons I would get one. Though I understand the "because I want one" answer. I was just wondering if there was anything beyond David's - I want one.

The reason I want one is guns are annoyingly loud without one. They are also simple and cheap to build, and at $800 :eek::lol: man, people must want them bad.:rofl:

Is there a general calculation for how much velocity or accuracy you lose shooting through a suppressor?

Suppressors are legal in Europe, and you can get them easily as they are seriously into noise reduction for everything. Go figure. Here, they been demonized by government, and the media as only items spies, and criminals would use. In addition, unless you are shooting .22LR or subsonic rounds there is still a nice "crack" when the bullet goes supersonic.

The reason I want one is guns are annoyingly loud without one. They are also simple and cheap to build, and at $800 :eek::lol: man, people must want them bad.:rofl:

That $800 starts to look cheap when you look at the expense of maintaining a manufacturer's license or spending 10 years in the federal prison system.

Those are your two other most likely options.

Suppressors are legal in Europe, and you can get them easily as they are seriously into noise reduction for everything. Go figure. Here, they been demonized by government, and the media as only items spies, and criminals would use. In addition, unless you are shooting .22LR or subsonic rounds there is still a nice "crack" when the bullet goes supersonic.

Correct. The best suppressed weapon I ever used was a Remington 10/22. The targets never hear the bullet but will hear the impact, and see the results of that impact. Very demoralizing to the people on the receiving end when one person can hold off a platoon.

Is there a general calculation for how much velocity or accuracy you lose shooting through a suppressor?

There are people who will tell you that due to the back pressure you will actually GAIN velocity. It is negligible either way. I LOVE shooting my 300WM with the can on it. I like it for the recoil reduction. The sound suppression is a bonus!

This. Making suppressors "evil" is stupid. Someone watches too much James Bond. It's about as technologically smart as requiring government special permission to use ANR headsets.

As far as the "crack" goes... No reason to shoot stuff at supersonic speeds through them, if you don't want to. That was one of the original design goals of the .300 Whisper/.300 Blackout. Subsonic load, heavy bullet.

Someone whined that they're only a 200 yard rifle set up that way. I've seen them shot further and accurately. But yes. The rounds do start "lobbing" into the target at some point.

I have a rifle here that's chambered in .300 Whisper. It's got the wrong barrel on it to be suppressed. Keep thinking maybe I'll change that but I'm not much in a rifle shooting mood this time of year. Too cold.

That $800 starts to look cheap when you look at the expense of maintaining a manufacturer's license or spending 10 years in the federal prison system.

Those are your two other most likely options.

If you're building your own, you're not going to prison because no one knows you have them. BTW, I worked for Campbell engineering as teenager, making auto seers for AR-15s, and bipods for them and Mini 14s as well as dummy suppressors for lots f things that you could open and load with fiberglass and make real. No FFL required, nobodies gone to prison.

Last edited:
If you're building your own, you're not going to prison because no one knows you have them. BTW, I worked for Campbell engineering as teenager, making auto seers for AR-15s, and iPods for them and Mini 14s as well as dummy suppressors for lots f things that you could open and load with fiberglass and make real. No FFL required, nobodies gone to prison.

Bull****

If you calculate all the time necessary to do all of the jobs Henning claims to have done, he either worked at each job for a month, or he's 94 years old.

I keep saying I'm going to buy a suppressor but have yet to do it. I usually end up buying something else, mostly because it doesn't require the several month wait.

Back