June 6th

Yes. I've been in the studio all day with a guy who only records on weird dates-----5/5/05, 9/9/99, 1/1/01 and now......

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

that first photo always chokes me up. they are all standing there apprehensively watching, standing up on tiptoe to see what is going on... little knowing that in mere minutes (if that) many of them will be dead.

I said a short prayer driving into work last night for all the brave paratroopers that gave all.
Joe

From one of the many websites...

Overlord was the largest air, land, and sea operation undertaken before or since June 6, 1944. The landing included over 5,000 ships, 11,000 airplanes, and over 150,000 service men.

After years of meticulous planning and seemingly endless training, for the Allied Forces, it all came down to this: The boat ramp goes down, then jump, swim, run, and crawl to the cliffs. Many of the first young men (most not yet 20 years old) entered the surf carrying eighty pounds of equipment. They faced over 200 yards of beach before reaching the first natural feature offering any protection. Blanketed by small-arms fire and bracketed by artillery, they found themselves in hell.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When it was over, the Allied Forces had suffered nearly 10,000 casualties; more than 4,000 were dead. Yet somehow, due to planning and preparation, and due to the valor, fidelity, and sacrifice of the Allied Forces, Fortress Europe had been breached.[/FONT]

Say thanks to a vet before they're gone. My Dad, who was on Okinawa preparing to invade Japan, told me no one acknowledged his military service until he went to the WWII memorial in DC the month after it was dedicated. What a shame. He never talked about it when I was growing up. Only recently has he told me anything about what he went through.

It is always a good idea to reflect and be thankful for what others sacrificed to protect their way of life which has allowed us to continue ours. Thanks.

Thanks in part to them, we just landed at BFI from the relative freedom of a triangular flight path through the snow capped mountains in an old C150 with so much accident history that its name was long ago christened "Patches", evident to all upon first glance. Its a fully composite aircraft (without any carbon fiber or epoxy) which once again took us safely in and out of Ranger Creek and Bandera and all the hostile terrain surrounding, not to mention the ominous 3-6s we again ignored while simultaneously missing the movie release as well.

BTW: One CFII in a club nearby has a T-shirt he wears around the BFO with a huge 666 on it.

My mother-in-law came ashore on Omaha Beach on June 7, 1944. Army nurse. We visted there with the kids in 1992. If you ever have the chance, go.

Oh, and I enjoyed the freedom that they fought for today as well. 1.0 hours PIC in the Arrow.

I've been there three times now - once when 16, once at the 55th and once the 60th (2004). I'm very glad to have gone now, at the next "milestone" dates there will not be as many left alive.

woodstock said:
that first photo always chokes me up. they are all standing there apprehensively watching, standing up on tiptoe to see what is going on... little knowing that in mere minutes (if that) many of them will be dead.

They knew. All the more reason to hold them in the highest esteem.

Sadly my friend died on 06/06/06. He was an aircraft mechanic.

RIP ROY!!!!!!

They say bad things happen in 3's. Hopefully this is it for me for a while.

Back