JPI Fuel Scan 450 vs. EI FP-5L

LevelWing

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
LevelWing
I'm looking at adding a fuel monitor to my plane and wanted opinions on these two models. They're about the same function wise, but I'm curious as to real world feedback. I'm leaning towards the EI purely because I like the way it looks better. What's the general consensus on these two models?

I've been using the FS450 for eight years, accurate to the tenth of a gallon, interfaces exquisitely with the GPS. I consider it a real safety enhancement.

I bet the EI is all that as well.

Happy FS-450 user here. I believe the JPI unit uses a widely used and easily found flo-scan transducer, where as the EI transducer is proprietary. My aircraft already had a flo-scan transducer installed for an early Hoskins fuel computer so I went with the JPI unit. I feel a fuel computer is one of the best safety items you can add, especially if tied in to your gps.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep doing research to see which one will work best. I'm assuming with the JPI you set how many gallons you start with and it calculates everything based off that? They look to be about the same price so that's not really a concern.

Of course as I start looking at these I wonder why I don't just get an engine monitor since I also want a CHT/EGT gauge. I just don't want to spend that kind of money right now.

Love my EI. Full interface and very accurate.

I just put an FS-450 in my plane as well. You can setup two different fuel fills, for me that would be to the tabs or full tanks. Can add fuel or remove fuel and what's really cool is if you forget in-flight with the FS-450 you can add fuel IN flight and it will retroactively calculate where you are currently.

It has been very accurate, though I do need to take a few long cross countries and work out the K Factor. They have a little worksheet they include and recommend doing that over the course of I think 3 or 4 flights.

Last edited:
They pretty much are the "same". I like the EI sensors better, the JPI ones resemble a west marine product.

Which display do you like better?

I already had an EI 4 point EGT/CHT and wanted the fuel flow to match so bought another EI. Been happy with them.

EI customer service has been amazing IMHO. Bought a used instrument, sent to them to freshen it up and asked for a new install kit and STC package and got everything at a very reasonable price and never a hiccup.

I think the JPI sensors cost more to replace too. (look similar to the top. EI are machined aluminum blocks like the bottom)

Last edited:
Back