JPI 900 or Garmin EIS

Pinecone

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pinecone
I am looking at options for engine monitoring. I am also looking at going with a Garmin G3X Touch. So have the option for dedicated or combined with flight instruments.

Pros and cons of each?

No comparing the two. The G3X Touch does way more than just engine info. And for engine info on it’s own? It’s a toss up. I like my G3X a lot.

Going with a JPI here. From a budgetary point - engine info in the G3X is less money

Last edited:
I would check the display of G3X vs JPI, see which you prefer, especially if you’re going to have only 1 G3X vs dual displays.

Another thought. If it is purely a budget decision its less if instruments are in the G3X. If its a location decision, a small G3X display could display the engine instruments (Plus you would have a failover if the primary display went down) and would still be a little less than a JPI.

What tips me towards the Garmin EIS is that all the data recording is integrated.

But I like the JPI display. I currently have an 830 in my plane. And fly 900s in a couple of rentals.

Plus, you can have dedicated engine display without taking up anything from the main display

Last edited:
Last edited:
Another thought. If it is purely a budget decision its less if instruments are in the G3X. If its a location decision, a small G3X display could display the engine instruments (Plus you would have a failover if the primary display went down) and would still be a little less than a JPI.

Difference between 10" G3X and 10" plus 7" and the EIS (6 cyl) is about $9700.

JPI 930 is $8300

Garmin G3X has a better and bigger display that is simple to read, simple to lean (and use lean assist), and is fully integrated with all your Garmin equipment. JPI is good, but if you are getting a G3X, pay the extra money and get the EIS installed too.

With the EIS limits and annunciations set, you’ll probably minimize the EIS screen more than you think. I keep mine minimized on the right margin. A quick touch opens it. Very simple. If you’re certificated you can get EIS on an iPad with bluetooth. Can’t do that with the exp version.

I think if you have a G3x - why wouldnt you take the integrated option. . if not - then the JPI/EI bigger screen variants are pretty damn nice. I have the G275 EIS (3" round dial) and while I like it - the jpm 930 looks so damn good. But if i had a g3x or g500/600/xi I would definitely integrate the engine instruments in to the panel

Here’s a pirep. The first couple of hours with my G3X was coincidental to my first flights in my exp Cub. There was a lot going through my mind and the EIS info was easy to interpret. Getting fluent with switching between screens came fast. After 10-15 hours I found it awkward to get back into my Cessna with standard flight instruments and digital engine instruments. All the same information is there but I quickly came to understand the G3X display provides the information in a better format and processing the information is easier. If you’re looking at panel equipment and a G3X is on the list? I recommend the G3X. I’m very happy with mine.

A plug for EI. Far better customer service than JPI without the ridiculous prices for Garmin.

I’ve haven’t any problems with JPI service in past few years and many others concur. I think they’re bad service reputation seems tough to shake.
I sent them my 900 to update firmware, they needed to update the electronics, no charge.

Two weeks ago. Probably the most curt call I’ve had in a while. Dealing with Christy is one of the most unpleasant experiences there are when it comes to any sort of sales or service. That alone moves me to Garmin or EI.

Last edited:
Back