Joining the Modern World

For a vfr airplane there is no reason to run a backup battery. The light speed will run down to about 6 volts. With prompt notice of a electrical failures, and shedding of the electrical load, the ignition will run for an hour or better on just the battery. The only thing that could get you in trouble is a battery going totally dead. Tom, you will love the lightspeed, I have run a single for 15 years and just switched to dual systems when my mag died. It took less than two hrs to install the second one.

Bob
Ever have an instant total electrical failure due to an issue with the battery positive or ground? I have, more than once, in airplanes (cars, boats, lawnmower, etc) maintained and owned by different folks. No way I'd be comfortable with just that.

Ever have an instant total electrical failure due to an issue with the battery positive or ground? I have, more than once, in airplanes (cars, boats, lawnmower, etc) maintained and owned by different folks. No way I'd be comfortable with just that.
And that same issue could occur with the battery backup as well. The integrated alternator is very appealing for that reason. Too bad they're not available certificated :(

The reason I'll go with Light speed is weight. what I can save in back, is less I must carry forward. Ounces count with the VariEze. plus the fact I don't have a set of drive gears for a new set of mags. ($400 bucks each)
Drive gears are $200 (which is truly insane), and you only need one of them. The other one you can take off your old Slick mag and reuse.

Drive gears are $200 (which is truly insane), and you only need one of them. The other one you can take off your old Slick mag and reuse.
What old Slick? this is a new build, no accessories came with the engine. If I were to use P-Mags I would need two drive gears. with the dual Light Speed electronic the kit comes with two blank off plates.

What old Slick? this is a new build, no accessories came with the engine. If I were to use P-Mags I would need two drive gears. with the dual Light Speed electronic the kit comes with two blank off plates.
Gotcha.

Very cool, Jay. I love reading about this stuff. I'm fortunate enough to live in both experimental land and certified land. Keep us posted!

If they are installed properly the power should be attached directly to the battery. The only failure that would stop power would be a total battery failure or failure of both power leads. I've never had either in all my years flying.

Bob

Three successful test flights of 15, 30, and 30 minutes this afternoon. New electronic ignition working great.
Oil temps are slightly higher than before, but CHTs are normal. That hotter sparking ignition runs hotter than the old magnetos, as predicted.
I took some pix as we flew around the area... So far, so good.
Congratulations.
Anything unexpected? (I don't mean bad, just unexpected)
Glad you are enjoying the flexibility of an experimental. We are still stuck with 1940's technology under our cowlings. :)
Btw, I recognize that landscape. The marina with a rwy before it ... the bridge leading to a ferry ... we'll be back hopefully soon!

For a vfr airplane there is no reason to run a backup battery. The light speed will run down to about 6 volts. With prompt notice of a electrical failures, and shedding of the electrical load, the ignition will run for an hour or better on just the battery. The only thing that could get you in trouble is a battery going totally dead. Tom, you will love the lightspeed, I have run a single for 15 years and just switched to dual systems when my mag died. It took less than two hrs to install the second one.

Bob

You could also try the one from SDS. Their web page isn't very well developed, but the system eliminates a couple of problems (IMO) with the Pmag, particularly the heat issue. Also, I expect these guys will be easier to work with than Klaus at Lightspeed, who has a reputation for being challenging.

http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html

You could also try the one from SDS. Their web page isn't very well developed, but the system eliminates a couple of problems (IMO) with the Pmag, particularly the heat issue. Also, I expect these guys will be easier to work with than Klaus at Lightspeed, who has a reputation for being challenging.

http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html

Those look pretty nice. I'll read more later. Challenging = Grumpy ?? yeah I know :)

Congratulations.
Anything unexpected? (I don't mean bad, just unexpected)
Glad you are enjoying the flexibility of an experimental. We are still stuck with 1940's technology under our cowlings. :)
Btw, I recognize that landscape. The marina with a rwy before it ... the bridge leading to a ferry ... we'll be back hopefully soon!

Nope, nothing unexpected. She starts and runs MUCH smoother.

It's gonna take a bunch of cross country flights to see if we're actually getting better fuel economy. Next test flight I want to take it up high to, say, 16,500', to see how she does.

But first we have to get this chunk of crap weather out of here!

Those look pretty nice. I'll read more later. Challenging = Grumpy ?? yeah I know :)
Read a lot more on their web site, I like the direct port injection, eliminating the need for hot air system, and the ability to adjust each cylinder's fuel flow. giving us the ability to run 200 Degrees LOP. and the whole system weighs 15 pounds.

Thought I'd give y'all an update on the Emag electronic ignition system.

We've got 5 flights in, now, totalling 4 hours on the EMags. Everything is SOOOOO smooth, it's almost like having a new engine!

By advancing the timing, the flame front starts out sooner, lasts longer, and becomes a nice smooth puuuussshhhhhh on the piston instead of a half baked BANG of a nearly uncontrolled detonation. Apparently burning all of the fuel in the cylinder more completely makes for less racket, less vibration, and perhaps a smidge more power. Who knew?

EGTs are noticeably cooler, thanks to more complete combustion -- like 80 to 100 degrees down. CHTs are up a smidge, maybe 10 degrees, so not bad at all. Oil temp has settled in about 10 degrees warmer, too, which has me puzzled and may have nothing to do with the Emags. Instead of settling at 182 degrees, it is settling at 192 degrees, which has me a bit worried about summer flying I'm gonna keep an eye on it.

I don't know about fuel consumption yet. Supposedly it will save 10%, but we are still playing with leaning.

So, all in all, the EMags have been a terrific upgrade. The smoothness and ease of starting are remarkable.

Back