Joined the League Today

NickC99

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
NickC99
Hey, guys. I finally finished up today. I've been lurking around and posting here and there. I passed my PP-ASEL checkride today and it was a lot less stressful than I imagined. The DPE had nothing to say about any of my maneuvers (so that's good). I started this in Feb 2012, and I'm finally done! :)

"satisfactory" from the DPE sez it all...way to go!

Thanks, guys!

The DPE was relaxed and friendly and wasn't anywhere close to some of the horror stories I've heard. In between oral questions and flight maneuvers, we chatted about a bunch of things. He started by taking care of the paperwork. Then, we went over airworthiness requirements. I showed him our ARROW requirements and showed him my W&B calculations. He then asked questions about maintenance and inspections. We looked at those, and he was satisfied.

He also asked about the plane. I gave him the overview of the plane (engine, hp, etc.). He asked a few more questions about the plane and was satisfied. He also asked specifically about the NAV options we have.

We then talked about the flight plan to KDAB. I explained the entire flight plan, and since we were in a 152 with only 20 gal of fuel, we'd probably stop in Gainesville (KGNV) to check fuel burn and fill up. He asked about how we'd be sure we wouldn't wander through the restricted airspace near KDAB. He was satisfied with that. I planned for 7,500, and he asked, "Well, why not 14000?" I told him the plane would probably struggle to get that high, and then our brains would be useless without oxygen. He seemed good with that answer.

He asked a bunch of questions from the PTS (aeromedical factors). I found he tested me very much using scenario-based questions. He said it would be quite cold at 7500 and if we had heat. I said yes, to which he asked what the risks were. We went over CO poisoning, and that was that. We talked more about the weather and the forecast for today, and he also asked some other things from the PTS. Then: "Let's go fly."

Outside, I ran my normal preflight and checked the checklist after. We fired up and headed out. The first takeoff I had to abort due to my seatbelt tail banging against the door. Fixed it and tried again. We headed out eastbound to KGNV, marked my first checkpoint and then we diverted about halfway to the next. He says, "Let's go to Cairo." Okay, great. I dialed in the NDB for Cairo and crosschecked with the GEF VOR. After a few minutes, he said, "Nevermind. Let's go to Thomasville." Done. I found a big lake on the map and used that to find my way there. (At this point, he tested my nav skills via NDB, VOR and pilotage all in two simple instructions).

We made a full stop in Thomasville, got out and headed over to this aviation museum. That turned out to be closed, so we took a quick break and then went to the pattern there to do a short field takeoff and landing and a soft field takeoff. After the soft field takeoff, we headed back to Tallahassee. On the way, we knocked out the hood work, slow flight, steep turns and power on and off stalls. All went fine with no comments from him (a good sign). After that, we headed back to Tallahassee, did a soft field landing and parked. He waited while I tied everything up, we walked in and he printed out and signed my new league membership. :)

I'd say the oral was about an hour and the flight was 2 hours. I think I was quite over-prepared. I scored a 98 on the written, and I bought an AF/D and printed out taxi diagrams for the airports along the flight plan. I used none of it. He was quite ok with me using Foreflight on my iPhone to get weather information before flight and airport information in flight.

Congratulations! Go fly something!!!!

I did! I went and picked up a friend and went out flying for another hour right after! My bank account doesn't love me, but whatever. I'm in too good of a mood to check my bank account.

That is an outstanding report, and I salute you for your accomplishment. Look forward to meeting you at some event or another, some day, too!

Congratulations!

---

PS - I used to fly to Tallahassee all the time - my wife's grandmother lived there. But, she decided that, after she turned 102 years old, she should stop driving, and she has moved to Sugar Land, Texas, where she now lives. She'll be 108 in Februalry.

Wife and I were just remarking on how much we miss visiting Tallahassee.

Thanks, guys!

The DPE was relaxed and friendly and wasn't anywhere close to some of the horror stories I've heard. In between oral questions and flight maneuvers, we chatted about a bunch of things. He started by taking care of the paperwork. Then, we went over airworthiness requirements. I showed him our ARROW requirements and showed him my W&B calculations. He then asked questions about maintenance and inspections. We looked at those, and he was satisfied.

He also asked about the plane. I gave him the overview of the plane (engine, hp, etc.). He asked a few more questions about the plane and was satisfied. He also asked specifically about the NAV options we have.

We then talked about the flight plan to KDAB. I explained the entire flight plan, and since we were in a 152 with only 20 gal of fuel, we'd probably stop in Gainesville (KGNV) to check fuel burn and fill up. He asked about how we'd be sure we wouldn't wander through the restricted airspace near KDAB. He was satisfied with that. I planned for 7,500, and he asked, "Well, why not 14000?" I told him the plane would probably struggle to get that high, and then our brains would be useless without oxygen. He seemed good with that answer.

He asked a bunch of questions from the PTS (aeromedical factors). I found he tested me very much using scenario-based questions. He said it would be quite cold at 7500 and if we had heat. I said yes, to which he asked what the risks were. We went over CO poisoning, and that was that. We talked more about the weather and the forecast for today, and he also asked some other things from the PTS. Then: "Let's go fly."

Outside, I ran my normal preflight and checked the checklist after. We fired up and headed out. The first takeoff I had to abort due to my seatbelt tail banging against the door. Fixed it and tried again. We headed out eastbound to KGNV, marked my first checkpoint and then we diverted about halfway to the next. He says, "Let's go to Cairo." Okay, great. I dialed in the NDB for Cairo and crosschecked with the GEF VOR. After a few minutes, he said, "Nevermind. Let's go to Thomasville." Done. I found a big lake on the map and used that to find my way there. (At this point, he tested my nav skills via NDB, VOR and pilotage all in two simple instructions).

We made a full stop in Thomasville, got out and headed over to this aviation museum. That turned out to be closed, so we took a quick break and then went to the pattern there to do a short field takeoff and landing and a soft field takeoff. After the soft field takeoff, we headed back to Tallahassee. On the way, we knocked out the hood work, slow flight, steep turns and power on and off stalls. All went fine with no comments from him (a good sign). After that, we headed back to Tallahassee, did a soft field landing and parked. He waited while I tied everything up, we walked in and he printed out and signed my new league membership. :)

I'd say the oral was about an hour and the flight was 2 hours. I think I was quite over-prepared. I scored a 98 on the written, and I bought an AF/D and printed out taxi diagrams for the airports along the flight plan. I used none of it. He was quite ok with me using Foreflight on my iPhone to get weather information before flight and airport information in flight.

Great write up! And you went to a museum. Though it was closed.. How is that for relaxing the nerves. That's awesome...Again congrats!!!

That is an outstanding report, and I salute you for your accomplishment. Look forward to meeting you at some event or another, some day, too!

Congratulations!

---

PS - I used to fly to Tallahassee all the time - my wife's grandmother lived there. But, she decided that, after she turned 102 years old, she should stop driving, and she has moved to Sugar Land, Texas, where she now lives. She'll be 108 in Februalry.

Wife and I were just remarking on how much we miss visiting Tallahassee.

Same. I'm itching to get away to some events and fly-ins now. And, wow... at 102 she decided to stop driving... At 108, she deserves to get whatever she wants.

One of the best PPL writeups I've ever read. It's great to see how comfortable you are with traditional navaids and pilotage. No child of the magenta line here!

Congratulations! That is the way most checkrides should be. He saw what he needed to see, and you were comfortable the whole time. You might have been over-prepared in terms of charts, but I'm guessing your level of prep for everything else is the key reason it went so smoothly.

Enjoy it! What are your plans now that you have your ticket? Family trips, trips with friends, XC's? The world is your oyster, if you have money and time in reserve!

One of the best PPL writeups I've ever read. It's great to see how comfortable you are with traditional navaids and pilotage. No child of the magenta line here!

Congratulations! That is the way most checkrides should be. He saw what he needed to see, and you were comfortable the whole time. You might have been over-prepared in terms of charts, but I'm guessing your level of prep for everything else is the key reason it went so smoothly.

Enjoy it! What are your plans now that you have your ticket? Family trips, trips with friends, XC's? The world is your oyster, if you have money and time in reserve!
Thanks. Agreed - I'm not a child of the magenta. I really like technology, and I use ForeFlight a lot, but I also grew up reading maps on road trips. So, looking for landmarks in the air was an easy transition. It's nice to see and point out the sights anyway.

I think the combination of my preparedness and the examiner's easy-going persona helped make things groovy. I practiced my maneuvers until I could get them darn near perfect (or at least within half PTS requirements). I also read just about anything I can get my hands on. About 20 minutes into the flight, I had that feeling that I was going to nail it. I think the only thing that tripped me is I almost taxied right over a runway without clearing it at the uncontrolled field. I heard him say "Clear right" and about 20 feet before the runway, I realized it was way too wide to be a taxiway. I stopped, looked three times and then continued. He didn't say a word. :redface: This really is a license to learn.

My plans now are the get checked out in the 172 and then the Warrior the school has on line. My friends are so ready to take trips in half the time. New Orleans, Destin, Atlanta, St. Pete and Key West are already on the list.

Congrats man! I'm (hopefully) on the verge of my first solo and stories like this make me even more motivated than I already am to keep working toward my PPL. Hopefully I'll be done in time to fly down to DAB myself in July! Congrats and have fun with it!

Congrats! Thanks for the detailed writeup. Enjoy your new privileges!

Congrats airmen. We are counting on you!

Back