Join the Air Force Reserve?

CarbonFlyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CarbonFlyer
I am 33 years old, married with three children under 9 years old. Currently an A&P/IA in the midwest. I have been speeking with the wife and I am seriously contemplating joining the reserve. I am looking to change my familys quality of life and secure future benefits.

I was hoping if there were any reservists in here that would share some stories, concerns or advice on this. I appreciate everyones time.

Sounds like a fine idea. I have long wished that I would have joined the guard or reserves after my active duty.

I am 33 years old, married with three children under 9 years old. Currently an A&P/IA in the midwest. I have been speeking with the wife and I am seriously contemplating joining the reserve. I am looking to change my familys quality of life and secure future benefits.

I was hoping if there were any reservists in here that would share some stories, concerns or advice on this. I appreciate everyones time.
The benefits are good, but the pay isn't going to be good for you for quite a while. The GI bill and medical benefits are probably worth it all by themselves. Giving up your one weekend/month gets old after a while but if you find a good unit, it makes it much more enjoyable. Now is a good time to be looking. PM me if you want details, I'll answer what I can.

Do it.
But understand, you will be called up, and you will serve overseas in some third world hellhole.
Also, if you become an officer, they can call you up, forever.
I know everyone says "No, they don't\can't do that."
Yes they do. Yes they can.
I got called back to active duty in 1975, and in 2012, at age 63, I got called back up for 2 more years in the Active Reserve. And then Activated for hurricane Sandy.
In 2016, at age 67, the Air Force, Army and Navy all contacted me to ask if I would be willing to come back on full-time active duty.
My wife told me\them my days in uniform were OVER!
(If they would let me fly again, I sign up in a New York minute. shhhhh)

Do it.
But understand, you will be called up, and you will serve overseas in some third world hellhole.
One advantage of the Air Force is that when you get sent overseas, it is typically for shorter periods.

I think the Air Force considers 2 months a ‘deployment’

One advantage of the Air Force is that when you get sent overseas, it is typically for shorter periods.

I think the Air Force considers 2 months a ‘deployment’
For ground guys/gals, they’re still doing lots of 179s or 365s. For the fliers, the LIMFAC is hours stops. If the OPSTEMPO is high, fliers “time out” right around the 60/90 day mark. It’s better to rotate them out and bring in fresh crews rather than start trying to game the hours limits.

Used to be a max 179 days for a TDY. Short tours (usually remote areas) were 365 days. When the controllers were fired back in '81 USAF controllers sent TDY to fill in could exceed 179 days but only if waived by the Secretary of The Air Force. We had controllers gone for 2-3 years during that time.

Last edited:
My dad was in the AF reserves from 1954 to 1979 as a non-rated officer. He did 2 weekends a month and two two weeks a year.

He started his military career in the navy in 1943 to early 48, then after college he was commissioned in the army in 52, then switched to the AF and spent the rest of his time in the reserve. My mom still benefits from his time in the military. I think when he retired he was getting 75% of his pay. And the life time benefits were definitely worth it.

Thanks guys for the replies.
My two concerns are basic training/technical training and the eventual deployment. Obviously that will be really strenuous on the family. I am already employed by a state institution and from my research they cannot fire me if I leave for basic training. So When I come back, I will still have a job. I am not sure if I do get deployed, how that will work.

Thanks guys for the replies.
My two concerns are basic training/technical training and the eventual deployment. Obviously that will be really strenuous on the family. I am already employed by a state institution and from my research they cannot fire me if I leave for basic training. So When I come back, I will still have a job. I am not sure if I do get deployed, how that will work.

Federal law, they don't have a choice from what I understand.

Depending on what your job is, the "one weekend a month and two weeks a year" may be a fantasy; for me it was much, much more frequent (aircrew) - I was flying usually every week, often 6-8 times a month, in addition to the "weekend" UTAs. Also, I was activated multiple times, from six weeks to over a year. I think beginning back in the 80's or so, Reserve and Guard began flying more hours than Active Duty, and USAF relies HEAVILY on Guard and Reserve.

Also dig deeper on the "they cannot fire me. . ." - that has been watered down quite a bit; your organization may honor it, but if you volunteer to go, my understanding is your re-employment rights aren't nearly as absolute as in past years. Just be certain of that before you bolt. Talk to the recruiter for the unit you're considering - a lot depends on your specialty; aircrew deploys a lot, paper pushers less so. Also, USAF can cherry pick you, activate individual members from Reserve units; Guard members (at least in my day) couldn't be snatched up go unless the entire unit was activated. I had time in both Guard and Reserve, after AD; my Reserve time counted for Federal service; Guard time did not.

Think it through - as a 20-something, it can be a lot of fun; later, as a 30-something, with a career, family, and decent income, maybe not so much; make sure you know what the pay difference will be if you get called up for a year. When I was young, I netted more when I was called up; when in my thirties, I took a beating on net pay.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you!

A topic near and dear to my heart.

USERRA protects your civilian employment position for a cumulative 5 years per employer. The 5 year counter only applies to long tour mil leave, which is defined as absences of 31 days or longer. This is regardless of whether the duty is voluntary or involuntary. Some duty, like involunatry deployments in support CONOPS (contingency operations) are exempt from the counter, meaning they do no count against your 5 year limit. Formal schools like basic training for instance, are exempt from the 5 year counter.

Now the reality. I hate to say it my man, but civilian employers are not as a patriotic as they pretend they are. I say this as a career through and through AF reservist (full time). There was a time where I toyed with the idea of holding a civilian job while as a TR (traditional reservist) and what I quickly found out is that civilian employers support your service...as long as it fall outside the hours of M-F 9-5. IOW, their support and yellow ribbons, and a buck twenty gets me a cup of coffee. So I decided to pursue the Reserves full time and haven't looked back. Took me a while to secure a full time position through the Lost Decade, but that's a story outside the scope of this thread.

I recognize non-aircrew Reserve life is much closer to the one weekend a month, 2 weeks a year trope they advertise on TV, and perhaps that may be more palatable to your employer, but unless your employer is the airlines (as a pilot) or the federal government, I wouldn't touch the Reserves to be honest. You will be penalized in civilian life in the form of lack of promotion and/or outright harranguing over particcipation, and you'll never be able to prove this discrimination in court without a long drawn out effort. For me it wasn't worth it, but I was a pilot and could make more as an activated reservist than a civilian non-tenured college professor, and with better QOL than the Active Duty component I wasn't willing to join for said QOL reasons. I recognize my situation is a specific one-off and doesn't truly track the lifestyle of a non-aircrew pedestrian Reservist, but I wouldn't do it.

Individual involuntary mobilizations are all the rage these days. It is a very difficult thorn to negotiate, as that is not the way the Reserves were built for originally, and it absolutely destroys retention. You'll never get that skinny from a recruiter, and I would go so far as saying they are the absolutely worst source to ask that question to. You need insider information such as what we're providing here for you.

Now, if you're gonna utilize the Reserves to get a new skillset, that you then can flip into a more lucrative civilian job and then quit the reserves when it becomes a hindrance to that new civilian job, I wholesale support that. you'd be doing more than 99% of Americans do in service to their country, and getting a leg up on a betterment of your family's situation. But I wouldn't do part time reserves as a non aircrew for 20 years at the expense of my civilian job, outside of the employers I listed before. No way. Sorry man, but that's my opinion as an insider. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss more specifics about your situation.

Here's my experience: I was able to get into the Marines after graduation from the Naval Academy and then transferred to the Reserves after my commitment ended. I stayed in for 30 years and was recalled to active duty three times for a total of five years. I did the one weekend and two weeks in the summer but most of my "two weeks" were in excess of three weeks and one was 60 days in northern Norway. Also, one year I had 27 weekend duties. I worked as a contractor to NASA and later Missile Defense Agency. I later got a Government job with MDA and was able to pay into the federal retirement system for all the time I was on active duty. I worked seven years for the Government and bought back 13 years. When I turned 60 I had 20 years and was able to retire. Also when I turned 60 I stared receiving my USMC retirement (a portion of which is tax free due to service related disability) and my retirement from one of my contractor jobs.

Life is good and I owe allot of it to the Reserves. I think it is one of the best kept secrets going. I would probably not have the health issues if i was in the USAFR instead of the USMCR but I would never give up the experience.

Also, meant to mention - when you sign on the line, you are committed for eight years. Your contract will mention that, though it might call out four years, or six years, and the rest in IRR, or whatever. But if the flag goes up, they can hold you to the full eight. Not something that's done often, or even rarely. But be aware. I noted what the previous poster said about not relying on a recruiter - I'd still press the details with him/her; they vary in quality, just like everyone else, and you aren't a kid - you'll know if something is being glossed over. You can/can negotiate on your contract - including guarantees on tech school (enlisted members), etc. Mostly recruiters will tell you what's available - they aren't writing the checks, so they don't mind. Get whatever you are promised written into the contract.

I did four years of active duty (Army) but I was obligated to do two more years in IRR, and I extended for another two years of IRR for eight total. At the time active duty assignments were voluntary, and it was a pretty good deal, as I had a pretty good kickback summer time job, running a land navigation course for guardsmen at Fort McCoy. I thought about joining a reserve unit, and a part of me wishes I did.

Well, it will get you back in shape again, if nothing else. You also may (or may not) qualify for some cash and/or a higher pay grade from the get-go. It's hard to say. The military is only accepting about 20 percent of applicants right now, so I don't know what kind of incentives they're offering.

I'd at least talk to a recruiter.

Rich

I was active Army Officer for 20+ years. Ended up medically retired due to non-combat accident/injuries. The medical benefit alone gives me options other don't have. Throw in the retirement/VA check and I'm considering fully retiring at 58 (three years, if I make it that long). I had a good post Army career which has also helped, but I know several folks living happily on military retirement alone...because of the cheap health insurance. On the other hand, I know many where I work now who would retire before 65 if it weren't for the cost of insurance.

Sounds like a fine idea. I have long wished that I would have joined the guard or reserves after my active duty.

Me too...especially now when I'm seeing people in my circle retiring from the Guard/Reserves... Green with :DEnvy

Back