Join club or rent

f you buy gas significantly cheaper or more expensive than your home base, do you get credit/ surcharged for that or do they just figure it averages out? What if you went to midway and filled up for $7.50/gal?
What amount or per gallon price will be reimburse is something that should be within the rental agreement and group operating policies.

Our group will "reimburse" 100% of the cost for off field fueling, no matter where you got it or how much per gallon it was.

We feel that removing the pressure to overfly available fuel 30-60 miles just because you might save 50¢ to 75¢ per gallon is worth it in the name of safety.

So far, no one has ever complained, and very rarely is it abused.

And with your Midway, Chicago example.... I've spent nearly that much at Houston Hobby and at Dallas Love. I would guess a few other our group members have done similar somewhere else. So far, our group treasurer has said thank you for the receipt and issued the credit to my rental invoice.

Other groups may choose to set a maximum "per gallon" price they are willing to reimburse. For example, the group might say they will reimburse up to $3.75/gallon. So if you purchased 50 gallons at $5.00 per gallon, then you would be reimbursed $187.50.

I have also seen a group or two that if the reimbursement rate was $3.75 and you found fuel for $3.00, you still get the $3.75 rate and you pocket the $0.75 per gallon difference.

Again, it all goes into what the group or aircraft owner/operator sets in their rental agreement.

Wow. That must be one heck of a 172. Those are numbers I'd expect to see for a club in NY or LA, not off in North Dakota 100 miles from the nearest interstate.

Indeed. However, see below for corrections.

Would like to know the hourly rate.

I made a couple errors... It is a six member club. The buy-in price is determined by the seller. The person willing to sell their share to me wanted $12,000. The monthly dues were $180 (not $300) and the wet rate was $100/hr with no mentionof flight credits mentioned in the rules. There were, however multiple examples of extra fees and fines ranging from $25 to $200 for various transgressions.

The aircraft, a C-172, had a "new" engine as of January and is parked in a heated hangar.

When I left the last club that did on-time-payment flight credits (in Helena, Mt) I left behind over $800 in credits. Just was not flying as much back then. :(

Back