John King

And are etched in acid on your grey matter alongside whatever he was teaching. Win-win!

Nah, I think his wife's hair is what made them all that money.

Whatever it is, it used to mesmerize my then 18 month old who would promptly fall asleep on my chest so I could put him to bed :D .

I used KIng 15 years years ago and past the private written first shot. Bought online version two weeks ago for instrument and past the written yesterday first shot as well. I wish they would modernize their videos though. I plan to use them for the commercial and CFI eventually too.

I used KIng 15 years years ago and past the private written first shot. Bought online version two weeks ago for instrument and past the written yesterday first shot as well. I wish they would modernize their videos though. I plan to use them for the commercial and CFI eventually too.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I suppose they could do a chute pull video though, "when your iPad crashes, so does your cirrus"

I have had the pleasure of the Kings over to my house. John is as corny in real life as he comes across on the tapes. They're nice people. John thought my soda bar gun was the neatest thing he'd seen. They have an incredible memory. I walked up to their booth at Oshkosh to say high and he says "I hear you've moved." I don't know if I'd seen him for years (though I was wearing my volunteer badge with my name). We exchange Christmas cards each year but that's about it. I thought it was purely a corporate thing but I guess they do read them.

Whatever it is, it used to mesmerize my then 18 month old who would promptly fall asleep on my chest so I could put him to bed :D .
That's worth the price you paid right there Weilke! I used them too back in the day on VHS IIRC, and I watched John's check ride prep video several times right up to the night before I took and passed the PP ride.

Say what you will, but his admonition to "demonstrate an attitude of safety first" was etched in my conscience for that ride.

And are etched in acid on your grey matter alongside whatever he was teaching. Win-win!

Exactly. Despite or probably because of the cheesy jokes, I feel that the King courses are by far the best of the industry. Very easy to remember, even after years: Airspace Bravo = BIG, Echo = Everywhere, Golf = Go for it, Charlie = Congested... :D

Corny as they both are, I actually found the video course useful for IFR. Would be great to meet them in real life. I live in San Diego and stop by King office but they are rarely there unfortunately.

John King was a 2nd level Jui jitsu black belt by age 20, all through high school he used regularly dominate at meets, the chicks loved him and the guys wanted to be him. Rumor has it, before he seriously started flying he went a few rounds with none other than Chuck Norris, it is said he didn't win those rounds, because nobody beats Chuck, but they became life long friends after that.

The only King course I have taken was for RVSM and it did the trick. They flew into my home airport and I met John, he was very nice. The line guys said she was not so nice.

The only King course I have taken was for RVSM and it did the trick. They flew into my home airport and I met John, he was very nice. The line guys said she was not so nice.
That seems to be a common story from FBO people who have dealt with them.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Two problems, one is the awful video quality, and two, the jarring and somewhat disturbing discontinuities with John and Martha as 30-year olds one second and 60-year olds the next. They ought to reshoot the whole thing, would it really be that hard?

Also it's ironic how their 80s clothes are more in style now than their late 90s/00s baggy clothes.

I'm only familiar with their A&P course of which I find very informative. I've seen a lot of instructional videos and those who try to be funny are always considered corny. John and Martha switch off from subject to subject and I've found John to be more interesting. Martha has this habit of ramping up words that start with H at the beginning of a sentence and hits it pretty hard. Just like the X in the FedEx logo, once you see (or hear it) you can't make it stop.

good jokes, bad jokes, dumb jokes....does it matter? If you remembered the material...

:yeahthat:

While their material is corny / cheesy, they present it in a way you will remember for ever - if you want to or not... :biggrin:

See attachment

Attachments

• IMG_4594.JPG
    IMG_4594.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4594.JPG
    IMG_4594.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 70
Red shirt Martha is in my A&P course. Blue shirt Martha looks more recent and has had some work done. She looks good.

My flight school used the King syllabus. While entertaining, it got the job done. It's somewhere in between droll FAA pubs and Rod Machado.

did it work? yes....then if it ain't broke don't fix it.

How many people here overhaul their engines for the fun of it?:D

Back