John King Denied Medical

I'm thinking it makes sense to reduce the rigor of medicals for pilots flying on a 2-pilot crew, wouldn't it?

I'm thinking it makes sense to reduce the rigor of medicals for pilots flying on a 2-pilot crew, wouldn't it?
Not really. 2-crew aircraft are almost exclusively big, fast, and carrying more than a few people. Not the best target for reducing safety margins, however indeterminate that effect on safety may be in some opinions.

I know some older pilots who practice this philosophy - they never divulge a thing and keep getting their 3rd class medicals. In other words, they lie by omission. It's got me thinking that anytime I see a person older than, say, +/- 70 with a medical, they're probably not telling their AME the whole truth.

Generalizing just a bit aren't we?

Seizures can happen to anyone at anytime. Who is to say someone is not going to have one for the first time while flying an airplane?

Generalizing just a bit aren't we?

Not really - I didn't say ALL pilots over 70 are fibbing. I'm saying that I know of some who do, so I can't help but be suspicious of others. I'll admit to some stereotyping, but not generalizing.

I know some older pilots who practice this philosophy - they never divulge a thing and keep getting their 3rd class medicals. In other words, they lie by omission. It's got me thinking that anytime I see a person older than, say, +/- 70 with a medical, they're probably not telling their AME the whole truth.

That is what you said, I'm not 70 nor am I close but blanket statements like that is false especially when everybody's situation is different no matter what the age. Not trying to start anything this is just my perspective.

Not really - I didn't say ALL pilots over 70 are fibbing. I'm saying that I know of some who do, so I can't help but be suspicious of others. I'll admit to some stereotyping, but not generalizing.

Seizures can happen to anyone at anytime. Who is to say someone is not going to have one for the first time while flying an airplane?

I would like to see the data of the probability of a person having a seizure in their lifetime and the probability of someone who had a seizure have another one.

I cannot stand the King videos. They are so out of date and boring. But I have tremendous respect for the King's, as they have done amazing things for GA. I hope he gets this sorted out.

I cannot stand the King videos. They are so out of date and boring. But I have tremendous respect for the King's, as they have done amazing things for GA. I hope he gets this sorted out.

Out of date? What's changed in the material? LOL.

Pull stick back, houses get smaller...

Out of date? What's changed in the material? LOL.

Pull stick back, houses get smaller...

I love that you can tell how old the material is by the age of John and Martha....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not about the material, it's about the presentation. Look at the difference in presentation from the UND Aerocast to King videos.

It's not about the material, it's about the presentation. Look at the difference in presentation from the UND Aerocast to King videos.

I see graphics that are boring in one, but get the point across, and some beheaded off screen voiceover and a dude playing with a flight sim in the other. :p

Neither rises to the level of the old Jeppesen videos where mostly everything was actually shot in a real aircraft, other than brief intro segments. :)

(The multiengine Jeppesen video is nice. It's like an hour of footage of a Cessna T303 Crusader, which I've always thought were sexy with that goofy cruciform tail. Obviously shot sometime in the 80s, judging by the cars on the roads below. And near Denver somewhere which, makes sense. Considering it's Jeppesen.)

Well, King does like to put some airplane footage up in a box behind John's head, at times.

I hear the Sporty's videos are nice and use relatively modern aircraft in flight for most things, but haven't watched one.

You know my favorite videos? The ones someone else paid for years ago on their shelf that you can borrow to watch for free. :)

If the actual lesson content didn't change or didn't change dramatically, other than a legal change or two that can be discussed after the video, free old videos are awesome.

I can stay wide awake, without complaint, for a long time, when it's free. :) I'd watch all of them on a topic and compare them if I was weathered into an FBO with a shelf full of them and an operable VHS machine.

It's the comparison of teaching techniques I'd want to see. Call it a new instructor curse. Hahaha.

After running out of the administrative remedies, you can take it to Federal District

I believe technically it would be Federal appellate court, not District, though the mentioned limitations of reasons for appeal are correct.

I would like to see the data of the probability of a person having a seizure in their lifetime and the probability of someone who had a seizure have another one.

I believe both King's neurologists have stated that at this point he is no more likely to have another seizure than the average person his age, because King's seizure was provoked, according to those neurologists.

I believe the FAA's position is that the seizure was unprovoked, and thus more worrisome in terms of likelihood of recurrence.

I believe both King's neurologists have stated that at this point he is no more likely to have another seizure than the average person his age, because King's seizure was provoked, according to those neurologists.

I believe the FAA's position is that the seizure was unprovoked, and thus more worrisome in terms of likelihood of recurrence.
It seems unlikely that they can conclude with any confidence that it was unprovoked. More likely, they could not conclude with confidence that it was provoked, and therefore they are treating it as unprovoked. Basically, erring on the side of caution.

John King now has a 3d class medical, I think with a 'two pilots required' limitation.

No doubt about that!

Back