John Glenn

I remember very well sitting in my sixth grade classroom watching his launch into space on the television.

I have MASSIVE respect for his flying accomplishments, but very little for his political life. On balance, a great American.

Happy Birthday Doctor Glenn.
Doc

Great guy. Had the lucky chance to meet him some years ago at one of the FBOs at KBAF when he was about to head home from a trip.

Godspeed, John Glenn.

My hero -- and the hero of millions of guys my age. In 1962 he was G.I. Joe, Thor, George Washington, John Wayne, and Sky King, all rolled into one real-life human being.

Godspeed, John Glenn.

My hero -- and the hero of millions of guys my age. In 1962 he was G.I. Joe, Thor, George Washington, John Wayne, and Sky King, all rolled into one real-life human being.

But that had all changed by the time he left Congress.

I agree. I wish he had stuck with aviation and space flight.

Doc

Back in his day, the only way to "cash in" on his fame was to become a politician -- which was an honorable profession, back then.

Nowadays, he would start a reality show, or be on "Dancing with the Stars". :rolleyes:

Back in his day, the only way to "cash in" on his fame was to become a politician -- which was an honorable profession, back then.

Some of his contemporaries did pretty well for themselves without sacrificing their integrity.

Yeah, he really tarnished himself pretty badly. He was running for President when he spoke at my college graduation. After that speech I realized he would never be President. I've seen sleeping dogs that were more exciting to watch than him. I've had professors more interesting to listen to. Math professors no less.

I got to meet Mr. Glenn a couple years ago when he came into town to speak at a college. My Grandfather was a doctor for the NASA program and knew all of the original 7. My mom has a picture of her when she was 3 or 4 sitting in John Glenns lap with Deke Slayton and Alan Shepherd on either side

Back