Jim Tweto 1954-2023

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
Jim Tweto of "Flying Wild Alaska" fame flew west today. He was exactly in real life as he was on the show; warm, honest, hardworking, and kind. I only had the privilege to meet him a handful of times, but he was always happy to offer a warm cup of coffee and shoot the breeze when passing through UNK. He will be sorely missed by the Alaska aviation community and all of those who had the pleasure of meeting him.

Blue skies and tailwinds Jim

Aww jeez, not in a plane crash... I was hoping it was age related. Makes you remember that if it can happen to a guy with his experience it can happen to any of us.

Blue skies and fair winds, Mr. Tweto.

Really sad to see this.

I only met him once while on the return leg of a charter. I needed fuel for reserve and he helped me fuel the 206 I was flying. After fueling he pulled out a chart and showed me an alternate route to get back to Bethel if the weather didn't cooperate. Really helpful and good man. Not many folks were friendly to a cheechako pilot back then.

Flying in Alaska is not inherently dangerous but can be very unforgiving to anyone at anytime regardless of experience.

A hardworking great role model for mankind, not just aviators. RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Never had the chance to meet him but would have liked to. So sorry to hear this.

So tragic. I watched every episode.

Fatal accident...
(16/June/2023)
- United States of America :
On June 16, 2023, at about 1148 local time, a privately-registered Cessna 180H Skywagon, N91361, was destroyed when it was involved in an accident near Unalakleet, Alaska.
The airline transport pilot and one passenger were fatally injured. The flight was originating at the time of the accident, the purpose of the flight is still known at the time of this writing.

According to Alaska State Troopers, the accident occurred about reported 35 miles northeast of Shaktoolik. Witnesses reported seeing the airplane attempting a takeoff but failing to gain elevation. The airplane crashed as a result. Both occupants were DOA.

There is no further information or photos from the accident site.

According to FAA records, the 68-year-old pilot held an air transport pilot certificate for airplane multiengine land, issued on 1/23/2016. He also held a commercial privilege for airplane single engine land, and a private privilege for rotorcraft/helicopter. His second class FAA medical was issued on 11/2022, with the following note: "MUST WEAR CORRECTIVE LENSES FOR NEAR AND DISTANT VISION."

Anyone who has met Ariel Tweto will tell you what a sweet soul she has. In her time of mourning, she's thinking about the other family.

From Ariel:

First of all thank you everyone for your love and support. It means so much to my family.
People have been asking where and if they could donate and our family would really appreciate it if you would donate it to Shane Reynolds family. He was with my dad and was a good friend. He left behind his wife Gina and daughter Juliet. We would really appreciate it ❤️ Click here for GoFundMe

52986469453_5589b473d8_c.jpg

No words ... both families are wonderful and can't imagine the pain ... stay safe out there guys :(

Watching it, ya just knew the guy wasn’t an actor, that came through, just what a genuine family man and just good soul he was. CAVU to another great…

Another post from Ariel.

It’s been nice going on long walks and hikes with my mom and sisters and some friends. We’ve been trying to stay busy and smiles have been appearing more now…and then they vanish again. Peaks and valleys peaks and valleys. But we are hanging in there and healing by being outside surrounded by loved ones.

I loved interviewing dad and found the video on the second slide from when I went home to our cabin with them during lockdown. That was one of the most memorable times just playing out, fishing, snow machining all over, collecting fallen trees, playing card games..I’ll cherish it forever and will cherish his advice.
“Just get outside.”

Furthermore, my mom, sisters and I will not be holding a memorial service for Dad in Unalakleet. Thank you for your understanding and continued prayers and support. We do ask though, that you please go out for a walk or hike with your loved ones in his honor and cherish those memories and make more. He loved being outside so much. He loved smelling flowers and memorizing stars and taking pictures of the mountains. He was so present and so in awe of how beautiful nature is. Not a lot of guys are like that and he sure expressed his passion for it.
If you’re in UNK go up old army and wave at him for me ❤️❤️
We will all be home at some point soon too so see u all there

From Anchorage Daily News:

A famed Alaska bush pilot’s plane struck a tree while departing a remote ridgeline airstrip last month near Shaktoolik and then crashed onto the tundra, killing both people onboard, a National Transportation Safety Board report released Tuesday said.

A helicopter pilot who responded to the scene reported “unusual” winds in the area soon after the crash, the preliminary report said.

Jim Tweto, who gained celebrity through his family’s reality TV show, the Discovery Channel series “Flying Wild Alaska,” was known for being a skilled pilot dedicated to rural Alaska. He had landed and departed from the airstrip where the June 16 crash took place many times in the past, said Clint Johnson, the chief of Alaska’s NTSB office.

Tweto, who was 68, and 45-year-old Idaho outdoor guide Shane Reynolds died in the crash.

The 750-foot airstrip is on a rock- and grass-covered ridgeline, the preliminary report said. Tweto was operating a charter flight for Golden Eagle Outfitters and planned to make three trips to pick up a group of bear hunters and their gear, the report said. He dropped off two clients during the first trip and returned about an hour later to pick up one guide and some of the gear during the second trip. The hunters’ camp was situated atop the hill at the end of the airstrip, Johnson said.

The Cessna 180′s downhill and downwind departure from the airstrip appeared normal, the guide who remained at the camp later told NTSB investigators. He had flown with Tweto from that airstrip many times and said it was normal for the plane to dip below the airstrip and out of sight before it began climbing.

The guide had turned away during the takeoff and did not see the entire departure, the report said. When he did not hear or see the plane climbing, he ran to the ridgeline and saw the plane had crashed into tundra roughly 300 feet below, the report said. He called for help and hiked down to the wreckage.

After leaving the airstrip, the plane struck a tree, Johnson said. Investigators later found a 4-inch thick tree on the left side of the runway that was broken about 4 feet above its base, the report said. The tree had “fragments of red paint that matched the accident airplane’s paint color” and tree fibers and sap were found on the plane’s tail, according to the report.

The surviving guide told investigators winds “‘were gusting and changing a lot’ and increased during the hour they waited for (Tweto’s) return,” the report said.

The report also said, “a helicopter pilot who responded to the accident site about 45 minutes after the accident said that the winds were ‘unusual’ that day.”

The report said winds were variable, with gusts of up to 14 mph from the north, which calmed and then were followed by gusts of up to about 6 mph from the south.

“There is a fair amount of mechanical turbulence in these hills there,” Johnson said. “So it’s varying degrees, ever-changing wind directions, velocities — so that’s something that Jim was contending with every time he went in there.”

The NTSB investigation into the cause of the crash is still in its early stages, Johnson said. The wreckage was recovered from the crash site and brought to Nome, and is expected to arrive in Anchorage in the coming days so investigators can further assess it, Johnson said.

The final investigation into the crash could take about a year to complete, he said.

“We are looking at all aspects of that, the terrain, the wind, the load that was on the airplane — all that’s being considered at this point,” Johnson said.

Reading the NTSB prelim, the question I have (other than the winds and weight and balance) is if the control continuity is also the ability to move the elevators. If not, it would seem that the tree snag strike on the left stab could have jammed the elevator controls leading to a stall into the tundra. The damage is so severe in the photo that it would seem unlikely that Jim had any pitch control after the tree strike. It looks like a vertical impact with nothing else around in the photo. And the strike could have been due to the wind shear. In any case, it just appears like the stars weren't lining up for Jim on this takeoff.

Last edited:
Back