JFK Airspace Question

KE5BM

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ross
Full disclosure, this might be a dumb question but I have no experience yet in Class B airspaces.

I'm building a flight plan from Massachusetts to the Eastern Shore of Virginia. I'd like to use the JFK VOR as one of my nav points. More specifically, I want to go BDR to KEEPM and follow V16 through JFK's airspace. The Bravo airspace around NYC is up to 7,000. So, if I chose a cruise altitude of 6500 feet, for example what are the chances I'd be allowed to transit the Bravo at that altitude or would they prefer I climb above and over the top? I'd have a flight plan open and flight following for this trip.

I agree with groundpounder. The NYC bravo is only up to 7000. Pretty easy to go over the top if weather permits. Another option would be to do the Hudson River exclusion. I keep saying I’m going to do that on one of my trips, but I’m usually cruising at 9.5-10.5, so I don’t want to descend and climb again.

I do this all the time. From the north go to 6500 from the south I go to 5500 and they let you in everytime. They are busy and quick on the radio. Listen carefully and reply quickly. Have fun.

Getting a Bravo to fly over JFK at 6500 along your route of flight is never an issue and the NY Tracon controllers are awesome. Whatever you do, don’t avoid talking to ATC just because you decide to go to >7,000. There is a ton of arrivals and departures that will eventually be in conflict with you regardless of whether you’re inside the bravo or above it. Good luck!

I do this all the time. From the north go to 6500 from the south I go to 5500 and they let you in everytime. They are busy and quick on the radio. Listen carefully and reply quickly. Have fun.
This will work well.
Last time I came back home I flew over the top and there was no vectoring, only had to change frequency about forty times.

Its also a good excuse to do the Hudson corridor.

That's what I was most curious about. I'm not familiar with JFK's SIDs and STARs but a short observation of ADS-B data suggests it's not often that V16 intersects with the big guys at 6500.

Thank you all for the advice!

I agree with groundpounder. The NYC bravo is only up to 7000. Pretty easy to go over the top if weather permits. Another option would be to do the Hudson River exclusion. I keep saying I’m going to do that on one of my trips, but I’m usually cruising at 9.5-10.5, so I don’t want to descend and climb again.
I've been considering doing that as a separate trip. I'm close enough that the Hudson could be a $100 hamburger flight. Although, in a Skylane it only adds a few minutes to the flight time to take the small detour down the river.

I did the Hudson tour inside of the Bravo, ATC was super helpful. I’d plan what you want, then you deal with what you get. You can always ask, you can deviate around airspace if you don’t want to go over water or to a certain altitude or if things are not working out then cancel your flight plan go 1200 and pick up flight following with a different ATC later on.

I’ve never had a problem getting permission to enter the NY class B going south. I usually go direct JFK direct colts neck usually at4500 or 6500 depending on active runway.

Coming from Long Island Sound, direct JFK, then direct Colts Neck is pretty much the piston IFR route you get, too.

Just be sure to tell ATC that you get complimented on the accuracy of your instruments.

I have flown from Norfolk and the eastern shore of VA to Portsmouth, NH many times. Most of the times I've gotten V1 to at least JFK. Once all the way to Hartford.

Back