Jetta TDI

I drove a TDI across country on a 1000 mile trip. It was a 6 speed and I loved it. I believe we got gas once each way. After we got home the man who owned it hooked a 22' camper to it and off he went. The camper was a hangar, I sold him an airplane he stuck in it and away he went. Looked kinda funny this little car pulling this big camper. But it pulled it 65 mph down the highway without any problems.

Tony

Hah. If only a TDI could pull my 8k lbs travel trailer! Then I might consider one over my Silverado.

There are rare occasions where one actually needs a pickup. But for 98% of the truck driving population I bet I move more in my Jetta than they do with their truck...and on 1/3 the fuel. :D

There are rare occasions where one actually needs a pickup. But for 98% of the truck driving population I bet I move more in my Jetta than they do with their truck...and on 1/3 the fuel. :D

Probably true for "stuff". Not going to work for "trailers". :)

My 5-speed '99 VW Passat is sitting at 250,800ish miles right now. I did the timing belt + water pump + idler pulley (~$300 in parts) about 60k miles ago. Still getting between 25-28mpg doing 80 on the interstate, so I can't complain about performance. With the 5-speed and V6, if I need to drop the hammer on some of these yahoo Atlanta drivers, I can do so with ease.

The biggest headache I've had out of it has been the electrical system. I have replaced the turn signal/e-flasher relay (all one unit) 3-4 times because it would randomly start 'clicking' while driving down the road and since it is mounted in the dash, it drove me crazy. I replaced the stock radio because I couldn't get reception. Got reception for a few months, then the aftermarket radio went to pot. Replaced the rusted/broken antenna but still no reception. Installed aftermarket antenna, and probably 75% of the time it gets reception, then it will just randomly lose reception on every station while driving down the road - like it's getting a power surge/drop or something. The interior lights are intermittent as well.

I keep saying I need to get a replacement for it, but it passed emissions again last month, so I've got another 12 months of 'free' driving, so I'm not in too big of a hurry to replace the green machine.

BS, can't make blanket statements like that. Our 9 year old MB E class turbo diesel has 150k on it and drives beautifly. In warranty we had the dealer do the service, yes it was expensive. I've done all the service myself for the last 100k or so. Parts are cheap and it is quite easy to service. (everything is designed to be top serviced, no lift/ramps needed.

As for unexpected repairs, it's needed a therostat and water pump. Not bad for 150k.

That's because an E-class is used around the world -- very popular as a taxi cab; diesel fuel is readily available, and the diesel engines tend to have longevity. With a worldwide market of that size, aftermarket parts are cheap.

My fried raves about the mileage he's getting on his Toureag TDI in driving and towing. I liked my Passat (2.0T - didn't get the sludge) very much until I had to have it serviced. The US dealership network sucks. If you have the skill and inclination to service it yourself, it can be a rewarding car to own.

I find it interesting how often folks buy a hybrid to save on fuel costs when the bulk of their miles are on the highway.

Even the "plug-in-Prius" has a battery only range of something like 10 miles if you baby it and don't drive over 62 mph.

Most of the others have even less range. After that, it's all Dino-juice.

Outside of around-town and stop and go traffic, non-hybrids are generally more efficient solutions.

We tend to see people coming in for a hybrid or plug in hybrid and leaving with gas models. The numbers don't really add up in fuel savings, most of our hybrid buyers do it as an environmental statement more than an economic one. ;)

I find it interesting how often folks buy a hybrid to save on fuel costs when the bulk of their miles are on the highway.

Even the "plug-in-Prius" has a battery only range of something like 10 miles if you baby it and don't drive over 62 mph.

Most of the others have even less range. After that, it's all Dino-juice.

Outside of around-town and stop and go traffic, non-hybrids are generally more efficient solutions.

We tend to see people coming in for a hybrid or plug in hybrid and leaving with gas models. The numbers don't really add up in fuel savings, most of our hybrid buyers do it as an environmental statement more than an economic one. ;)

Yup.

They want a hybrid because it's "green". Even if due to their drive cycle it's really not.

It may come as a surprise to you that Prius is better at highway mileage than any equivalent offering, including Jetta TDI. Heck, not even may, I'm certain it is a surprise. That is because you're failing to account how efficient Prius is aerodynamicaly, and also that highways have hills in them.

BTW, just a couple of days late to affect the purchase that prompted this thred, here's Alex Dykes' review of Jetta TDI:

It may come as a surprise to you that Prius is better at highway mileage than any equivalent offering, including Jetta TDI. Heck, not even may, I'm certain it is a surprise. That is because you're failing to account how efficient Prius is aerodynamicaly, and also that highways have hills in them.

The most fuel efficient vehicle on the highway would be a stick-shift Prius without the electrical drive / batteries.

They are fuel efficient because they have thin wheels and good aerodynamics. Honda did the same thing to make the Civic hybrid look fuel efficient.

The most fuel efficient vehicle on the highway would be a stick-shift Prius without the electrical drive / batteries.

They are fuel efficient because they have thin wheels and good aerodynamics. Honda did the same thing to make the Civic hybrid look fuel efficient.

Actually, the Honda Insight-I is the (production) champ there. Serious oomph and space squeeze for MPG, though.

I've heard that bicycles are even more fuel efficient than a Prius.

The Jetta TDI is a significantly more capable vehicle that a Prius. Whether that is a practical advantage for someone is a separate question.

With VW, my concern would be reliability. I've told my Audi ownership story before, which sounds very similar to what others have posted about VW ownership. The engineering was very good, perhaps even great, but parts quality was a huge problem (and in my case, both the car and many of the failed parts were made in Europe). Parts were often pricey, and difficult to find aftermarket in local retail stores.

With that said, I have never driven a Japanese car that handled as well, or was as fun to drive; after 120k miles with the Audi, the driving experience never changed. I miss the car, but not the ownership experience. My wife and I switched to Japanese vehicles after that, and the reliability has been significantly better, but far from perfect.

JKG

Opinions derived from rumor and stereotype, are good enough when it matches our pre conceived notions. I am sure that many of the posters haven't owned or even driven the subject vehicles.

The "magic" of the Prius isn't the battery or having a small engine. It's having a transmission that can use either battery or gas power AND both when required. This gives it much better acceleration getting on the freeways, up hills, etc. than having one or the other. This technology has been licensed by Ford and Nissan because it is arguably the most advanced out there. Having a stick shift would make the Prius a terrible car.

The Prius isn't a tiny car by any means. It is a mid size car by interior volume. That isn't unique, there are many choices. The hatch does however offer much more flexibility than anything with a traditional trunk.

The Prius isn't a road trip highway car. It goes 70 or 80 easily, but it just isn't designed to be that kind of vehicle. Its market is the commuter or city driver. There are much nicer options for primarily highway drivers, which makes the highway mileage argument secondary.

Hybrids don't make sense financially, but so what. We are all way beyond making perfect sense financially. If we want to get from one place to another in the cheapest manner, the answer is a bus pass. The next answer is an economy car, and so forth. When I look at the traffic on the road it seems most people don't actually want maximum fiscal economy. So it all becomes subjective.

Diesel is currently 30% higher than gas and historically in my area 20%. That plus the new emissions and it just isn't a good time in the states for diesels.

Comparing a modern 100Kpsi 3 cycle direct injection system, DEF emissions, particulate filter, advanced EGR, diesel car to something like a Mercedes 240D is like saying a 62' Nova straight six is cheap to maintain so a 2014 Cadillac CTSV should be also since they are both GM products.

I have a 6.2L AWD Denali XL, I believe I could make an argument for its efficiency also.:)

My dad had a VW rabbit diesel and just loved it. This was an 80's model. He removed the back seat and put the front seats in the back. It was the only way he could drive it. He was 6'7". He drove that car for hundreds of thousands of miles until someone rear ended him and totaled it.

I've been driving my 2006 Jetta TDi for quite some time now. Its got 159,000 on the clock and repairs have been timing belts and a clutch. Mine is a 5 speed. Oil changes are done every 5k miles. Mileage on the highway averages over 45mpg and hotrodding around the home area I can get it down to 40 if I work at it. The diesel prices have dropped and even though they're 30% higher than gas I'm getting at least 30% better fuel mileage so at worst its an even break. I'm quite happy with the car and the 600 mile range allows you to pick your stations when travelling out west where they're spread out more. No need to buy at the next place that has fuel regardless of price. The wife liked my car so much that when her toyota 4 runner started falling apart she bought a 2009 Jetta TDi wagon. Hers is a 6 speed and has about 120K on it so far. No major repairs.....in fact no minor ones either. Oil changes every 10K miles. She gets about 42-45mpg on the highway and around 35-40 around here. Only one battery in these diesels so thats not an issue. They ride nice, handle great, don't mind the snow despite only 2 wheel drive and we've been very happy with both of them. Both Jettas handle the hills with no issues. I've never had the cruise control kick off like my subaru's and hondas used to do every time I'd head up Raton Pass or up the hill to Clines Corners. I'd buy another.....

Frank

I've been driving my 2006 Jetta TDi for quite some time now. Its got 159,000 on the clock and repairs have been timing belts and a clutch. Mine is a 5 speed. Oil changes are done every 5k miles. Mileage on the highway averages over 45mpg and hotrodding around the home area I can get it down to 40 if I work at it. The diesel prices have dropped and even though they're 30% higher than gas I'm getting at least 30% better fuel mileage so at worst its an even break. I'm quite happy with the car and the 600 mile range allows you to pick your stations when travelling out west where they're spread out more. No need to buy at the next place that has fuel regardless of price. The wife liked my car so much that when her toyota 4 runner started falling apart she bought a 2009 Jetta TDi wagon. Hers is a 6 speed and has about 120K on it so far. No major repairs.....in fact no minor ones either. Oil changes every 10K miles. She gets about 42-45mpg on the highway and around 35-40 around here. Only one battery in these diesels so thats not an issue. They ride nice, handle great, don't mind the snow despite only 2 wheel drive and we've been very happy with both of them. Both Jettas handle the hills with no issues. I've never had the cruise control kick off like my subaru's and hondas used to do every time I'd head up Raton Pass or up the hill to Clines Corners. I'd buy another.....

Frank

My dad has a 2014 TDi Jetta (automatic trans). I'd much rather drive it than my mom's 2013 Prius (her third second Prius). Edit: First hybrid was a Honda Civic (totaled in an accident).

Dad was pretty disappointed with the ride quality and thinks he should have bought the Passat. I don't think its bad at all and I drive a larger Impala.

The milage on the TDi vs Prius is basically the same and TDi has a lot more pull when slamming the petal to the floor speeding up from 50 to about 90 to pass.

All of these vehicles have been bought brand new, not used. No flood crap. Not stored outdoors.

I thought mom's newest Prius might change my mind but it didn't. I still don't care for it.

Last edited:
I have a 6.2L AWD Denali XL, I believe I could make an argument for its efficiency also.:)

If you fill up all the seats, it is probably more fuel efficient than the prius.

I keep saying I need to get a replacement for it, but it passed emissions again last month, so I've got another 12 months of 'free' driving, so I'm not in too big of a hurry to replace the green machine.

My VR4 will get about the same mileage as your Passat, pass moron Atlanta drivers faster (450 HP), and looks cooler. Oh, and it might be for sale (again) and the radio reception is better.

I found the answer to your problem. :D

No hills where I drive.... Not many bumps. Jetta averaged 53.2 MPG on the 538 mile drive from SC to MS. Had over 1/4 tank left at the end of the trip.

95% of my driving is interstate in the SC/GA low county. Just couldn't make the Prius make sense considering how ugly it is :D

My VR4 will get about the same mileage as your Passat, pass moron Atlanta drivers faster (450 HP), and looks cooler. Oh, and it might be for sale (again) and the radio reception is better.

I found the answer to your problem. :D

Ha. Does it have a sunroof? 'Cause that's the only way I would be able to fit in that thing - Harry and the Henderson's style...

The "magic" of the Prius isn't the battery or having a small engine. It's having a transmission that can use either battery or gas power AND both when required. This gives it much better acceleration getting on the freeways, up hills, etc. than having one or the other. This technology has been licensed by Ford and Nissan because it is arguably the most advanced out there. Having a stick shift would make the Prius a terrible car.

The Prius isn't a tiny car by any means. It is a mid size car by interior volume. That isn't unique, there are many choices. The hatch does however offer much more flexibility than anything with a traditional trunk.

The Prius isn't a road trip highway car. It goes 70 or 80 easily, but it just isn't designed to be that kind of vehicle. Its market is the commuter or city driver. There are much nicer options for primarily highway drivers, which makes the highway mileage argument secondary.

Hybrids don't make sense financially, but so what. We are all way beyond making perfect sense financially. If we want to get from one place to another in the cheapest manner, the answer is a bus pass. The next answer is an economy car, and so forth. When I look at the traffic on the road it seems most people don't actually want maximum fiscal economy. So it all becomes subjective.

The Toyota Pious... uh, Prius, is popular for one reason only -- it is visually unique from other cars in the Toyota line. Compare to the Ford Escape hybrid that looks like any other Ford Escape, or what is a better head-to-head comparison, the Honda Civic hybrid which looks like any other Honda Civic.

Because "saving the world" means nothing if everyone else can't immediately SEE that the environmentally-minded Prius owner is saving the world every time s/he drives down the street. Conspicuous consumption status symbol, just like any other vain human being. But they are more "enlightened" than the rest of humanity.

More here: http://freakonomics.com/2011/07/07/hey-baby-is-that-a-prius-you’re-driving/

The Toyota Pious... uh, Prius, is popular for one reason only -- it is visually unique from other cars in the Toyota line. Compare to the Ford Escape hybrid that looks like any other Ford Escape, or what is a better head-to-head comparison, the Honda Civic hybrid which looks like any other Honda Civic.

Because "saving the world" means nothing if everyone else can't immediately SEE that the environmentally-minded Prius owner is saving the world every time s/he drives down the street. Conspicuous consumption status symbol, just like any other vain human being. But they are more "enlightened" than the rest of humanity.

More here: http://freakonomics.com/2011/07/07/hey-baby-is-that-a-prius-you’re-driving/

A long, long, time ago I was working construction in CA with some really high gas prices and a crappy economy. In order to get work the boss was bidding everything from the bay area to the Oregon border. At that time I had a 64' Ford PU, just like most of the guys I worked with. With a 390 4 barrel, I was getting a solid 6-8 MPG at 55 MPH. By the time you drove to a job you were so far behind because of the fuel expense you had to sleep in your truck to have a chance of taking home anything. So I go down to the Honda dealer and buy a slightly used Civic CRX HF and put a small roof rack on it. Load it to the gills and head out on the road. My coworkers told the boss they weren't going to drive so far to work and they'd just sit home. The same coworkers told me they wouldn't be caught dead in a little "P" car like that Civic. I paid off that car in less than a year and made really good money going up and down the highway.

I did the same thing back in the 2008 downturn, bought a couple of Prius' to use for estimating and did really well during the worst of the recession because no one would drive a 1 ton diesel 50 miles to give an estimate.

I've done pretty well in life, not because I'm smarter or more skilled than anyone, but because I find an excuse to win. YMMV.

Ha. Does it have a sunroof? 'Cause that's the only way I would be able to fit in that thing - Harry and the Henderson's style...

It does have a sunroof. Actually, I think you'd be surprised at the interior space. Having the seat the whole way back is too much for me. Granted I'm short at 6'2"...

Read the first page of comments...

I am on my second TDI Jetta. I love my 40-45 mpg (average speed 70-75 mph). I get 50 mpg at 60 mph. 38 mpg at 80 mpg.

Diesel is more expensive. That being said, my fuel cost is in the 9 cents per mile range. That still beats the gas engine for economy. Diesel has more BTU in it, and more energy per pound/gallon/liter whatever..

VW Jettas used to be nicer cars, feature wise. Now they are the entry level vehicle. Even a top of the line TDI jetta is the "first of the worst".

The maintenance issues people mention are real. And expensive. IF you buy one, buy new. Buy the gold plated (they actually call it platinum) extended warranty, and sell before its done (100,000 miles) and get something else. Diesels hold their value a bit better, and you will make up for that lost value in fuel economy.

If you get a used Jetta, or keep yours for life... get the timing belt done every 80,000 miles without fail. The timing belt WILL Fail. maybe at 150k.. maybe at 200k.. you don't know when.... But they're all pretty much good for 80k which is the replacement interval. If the timing belt goes (which is about $1500 for parts/labor to replace before failure), the engine is a boat anchor, and will need replacement. Google "interference engine" and "TDI timing belt failure" if you need further enlightenment.

I am a fan of the Jetta, but I recognize its limitations, and my endorsement is with reservations. Between mom's two Jettas and my two Jettas, we have made both daily commutes and cross country travel VERY economical for a driver and 1 passenger. The back seat works for midsize adults but not tall ones.

Going 550-600 miles on a 14 gallon tank is nice. As is filling it up for under $50 dollars. Choose wisely. Take the Passat and get a few MPG off, but get more features and a bit more room... or take the Jetta and wring every penny out of the diesel.

The milage on the TDi vs Prius is basically the same

Um, no. When I had the Jetta TDI ('10) with DSG, I would barely break 40 hwy, and 28 city. The Prius does better. Couple that with a $1.00 premium in diesel fuel, and higher maintenance costs.

Nobody buys a modern econo-diesel to save money. The math does not work. The new common rails don't get the mileage of the older, under powered Rabbits.

You buy diesel, because you like the torque.

Last edited:
Did you have the first check engine light yet ? :stirpot:

If you get a used Jetta, or keep yours for life... get the timing belt done every 80,000 miles without fail. The timing belt WILL Fail. maybe at 150k.. maybe at 200k.. you don't know when.... But they're all pretty much good for 80k which is the replacement interval. If the timing belt goes (which is about $1500 for parts/labor to replace before failure), the engine is a boat anchor, and will need replacement. Google "interference engine" and "TDI timing belt failure" if you need further enlightenment.

You will find a lot if not most engines are interference engines now days.

I've had the TDI in a Golf, and a gas engine Golf and now have two Prius C models. I won't go back to the VW platform. the Prius C is a clean sheet design, and has almost nothing in common with the other Prius platform, which is a good thing. The C model isn't quite as ugly, but it's no beauty either.

My kids are driving them in hot weather and averaging 51MPG with lots of AC use. The TDI Golf was a slightly more comfy car, with far more mx than the Prius C. The gas Golf was a nightmare. There is a guy in OK that repairs the faults with the VW auto trans, but I can't recall his name, maybe google VW trans repair OK, and you can find him.

The chassis on the Mexico made VWs are pretty bad. We had lots of trouble with everything on the chassis from the body fit, interior and trim, to the suspension components. Stuff seems to wear on them far faster than on other cars of the same vintage. Poor materials spec, poor assembly.

We love the Prius C. No trouble at all, and a few bucks to fill the tank then drive, and drive, and drive. We got the series 4 model with the uprated wheels, nav, and better seats.

Since the deed has been done, the advice on getting the Ross tech VAG cable and software is spot on. You WILL need it sooner than later. I used it regularly on my Golf, and it saved me plenty of money on diagnosing crap on the car.

I put about 75 highway miles per day on a car. Thinking of getting a Jetta TDI for the mission. Other options considered are a corolla and possibly a Prius.

Advice?

Do you have time to charge at the far end? Mitsubishi MiEV does 60 miles on a charge. My buddy runs his 60 miles a day commuting and only charges at home during off peak time and gets the industrial off peak rate. He says he spends about $12 a week on electricity. He got one a couple of years when they first came out. For the St Louis winter he added some extra insulation in the form of bubble wrap.

Hah. If only a TDI could pull my 8k lbs travel trailer! Then I might consider one over my Silverado.

What do you think tows them all over Europe? It makes me laugh to see what people buy to pull a small travel trailer here when all over Europe these things get pulled around by VWs, Citreons, and Fiats.:lol:

What distressed me about the Jetta was that, while common wisdom was that the Mexican-assembled car would suffer from lax QC, it was the drivetrain (and ONLY the drivetrain) that caused grief - and very expensive trouble.

The engine, built in Germany, had the dreaded sludge issue and dissolving intake runners. The Japanese-manufactured transmission is a joke, too (they were also, I am told, used in Mazdas).

Rest of the car was tight as a drum, nothing failed.

I have reason to believe that the TDI engine is more robustly engineered.

I put about 75 highway miles per day on a car. Thinking of getting a Jetta TDI for the mission. Other options considered are a corolla and possibly a Prius.

Advice?

Especially if this is city driving you sound like a great candidate for a Chevy Volt.

The real issue with diesels is the EPA. Emissions regs choke the efficiency of diesels, somewhat ironically. My 2004 Cummins was about the last worth buying until they figure out how to do both.

To Spike's point, I've not found issues with assembly on Mexican vehicles. My Dodge was Mexican, as is Laurie's Avalanche. These days what you really find as problems boil down to engineering/design or misuse. For example, sludge is often because a sub-optimal oil is used. My BMW runs hot by design and needs a full synthetic oil to prevent sludge. It also runs long oil change intervals - I reset the light about 10k miles ago and it still said I had oil life left, but I had changed the oil once in between because I dropped the pan when I did the timing chains.

So, the power of German engineering is your culprit. :)

I have reason to believe that the TDI engine is more robustly engineered.

The TDI engine in mine is polish, transmission made by an american company in germany. Rest of the drivetrain is from argentina. Electrical parts from india. Assembled in mexico.

The TDI engine in mine is polish, transmission made by an american company in germany. Rest of the drivetrain is from argentina. Electrical parts from india. Assembled in mexico.

German car, eh?

Back