JetBlue tilts backward during deboarding in NY

BMan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
BMan

JetBlue (A321, I believe) tilts backward in NY while deboarding. I've heard this happening to a DC-10 cargo plane many years ago but never heard it happen with a commercial airliner...not saying that it isn't possible, of course. Can any commercial pilots weigh in on managing W&B considerations to try preventing this? Is removing cargo/bags a priority over deboarding so this doesn't happen? I wonder if it was a ground crew error or slight cargo shift in flight? Thankfully they landed OK and nobody was hurt but it must have been a major pucker factor for the crew.

Some of the DC-9s would do this as well. My original flight instructor had been a ramp guy for Texas International (I'm dating myself, but I also remember when they were Trans Texas Airlines). If the plane was otherwise unloaded, all you needed was a few guys standing in the back of the plane to lift the nosegear off the ground. They'd prank people with that from time to time.

IIRC, don’t some older airliners need tail stands under the plane when parked at the gate?

IIRC, don’t some older airliners need tail stands under the plane when parked at the gate?

Not just older jets. The 737-900 needs a tail stand unless the rear of the aircraft is unloaded first.

So there HE was…

A young lad I met, about 2000, who was a Beech 1900 FO. His job was to stand under the tail during boarding. Second to last to board was the captain, who immediately started the engines. Then it wasn’t a problem. He boarded, and off they went.

Repeat in reverse at destination… ya, it’s happened before!

Back when we had Saab 340s, they were always required to use the tail stand. More than once I saw them have to start the airplane, hold the brakes, and power up to lift the tail off the stand so it could be removed.

Caravans commonly use tail stands as well. I've heard of Caravans tipping and damaging the tail if a "hefty" passenger boarded when the pilots weren't in their seats.

Texas International (I'm dating myself, but I also remember when they were Trans Texas Airlines).

My very first ride on a commercial flight was on a Tree Top Airline DC-3...

And I am not old.!! (that's my story and I'm sticking with it...)

And to get off people have to move forward to let the plan fall back to its original position?

I heard about this happening with a football / soccer team not too long ago as well.

Wonder if any damages to the aircraft?

And to get off people have to move forward to let the plan fall back to its original position?

I heard about this happening with a football / soccer team not too long ago as well.

Wonder if any damages to the aircraft?
If they are on a jetway it usually does substantial damage to the 1L door.

When the front half of the passengers deplane and the plethora of large carryons and large Americans in the rear half of the plane are still onboard, it's gonna happen again.

Back