Jet Rental!

That's pretty cool actually... if the birthdway a big milestone (like passing 30, or 40, or 50, etc.) that would be a pretty cool thing to do

Would you be able to log that time? I assume you would... there is another thread floating around regarding the type of rating needed to fly this plane

Funny, they have an "already checked out? make a reservation!"

*Awesome to see the new age of jet GA that Cirrus is ushering in

Do they give the type rating too? I think that's super cool, and you wouldn't even need a multi-engine rating to fly it! :D

I wonder how they found an instructor that already has "hundreds of hours flying experience flying the cirrus vision"

It's only been out and publicly available a short while!

Is cool though and awesome to see that personal jet rentals can be a thing!

Tantalum, if you're flying with an instructor then you'd be able to log it as dual received!

When I was younger my wife was adamant that I fly warbirds before they disappeared. I've flown in all the Collings Foundation bombers and a few others. That's the Nine-O-Nine in my avatar. She even tried to get me to travel to Russia and fly a MIG-21. I think it cost around $12K in 2000.

I'm just throwing this out there for guys whose spouses complain about the cost of 100LL. :D :D

I know what I am doing when I hit big in Vegas next time....

Mulligan will be on that like an Alabama LB on an Auburn QB! :D

You know I sat here for a while trying to think of a witty post... lets just hope for the trilogy this January 8:D

I know what I am doing when I hit big in Vegas next time....

You know I sat here for a while trying to think of a witty post... lets just hope for the trilogy this January 8:D

Y'all look better than last year. Bama has work to do. And FWIW I have Clemson #1 right now. Still long way to go.

Last edited:
When I was younger my wife was adamant that I fly warbirds before they disappeared. I've flown in all the Collings Foundation bombers and a few others. That's the Nine-O-Nine in my avatar. She even tried to get me to travel to Russia and fly a MIG-21. I think it cost around $12K in 2000.

That, right there, is a fantastic wife.

Holy crap, though did you look at the price of their SR22s?

$520/hour!

The jet price seemed reasonable until I saw that. I'll bet it can be done for a lot less if there's a more reasonable club around.

Do these outfits maintain hot seats? As someone who flies them for a living, flying vintage mil jets without a hot seat is not in my bucket list, especially single engine. Bird ingestion on takeoff is common enough to create a legitimate need for hot seats in an airplane you're not landing off-road and living to tell about it. Always give yourself an out.

ETA: The warbird site, not the Cirrus pseudo-jet

Serial number 0012 for that jet.

Registered to another entity, so I'd guess it is a leaseback. Which seems odd, because early positions for the jet were trading for high enough prices that you'd think a price-sensitive owner of a position would trade for a later position and pocket some cash, instead if keeping the early one and letting renters beat it up once it was delivered.

Four hours flight time or four hours instructor time? $137.25/hour instructor time is DAMN high.

Not really, considering other instructors at that airport get $60 - $80 per hour for single instruction and $75- $90 for multi. Someone spent a good bit to get the qualifications to teach in that aircraft, and needs to be compensated for that. Besides, if someone is going to be throwing a lot of money around to fly that expensive aircraft, why shouldn't the instructor get reasonably well paid to teach in it?

Ooh ooh! Rhino rides!

http://www.space-affairs.com/index.php?wohin=phantom_f4g

phantom_new2.jpg

I'm sure it's pricey. Missed out on a ride when I was in the service on a Rhino w/ the trst wing at Eglin.

Not really, considering other instructors at that airport get $60 - $80 per hour for single instruction and $75- $90 for multi. Someone spent a good bit to get the qualifications to teach in that aircraft, and needs to be compensated for that. Besides, if someone is going to be throwing a lot of money around to fly that expensive aircraft, why shouldn't the instructor get reasonably well paid to teach in it?
What qualifications does one need to teach in that airplane other than a type and CFI?

What qualifications does one need to teach in that airplane other than a type and CFI?
Ask the insurance company. Both for what experience you need to insure yourself, and what you need to give instruction for others to qualify for insurance. For very complex or unusual types you have to find an instructor with a certain amount of time in type to do your checkout and dual hours. Not just anybody with the appropriate certificates.

All true, but the niche civilian jet instruction circles are, paradoxically, a big welfare club. Just like the warbird circles. People often gopher the training from their prior employer (LSI, military et al) and then jump over to the leisure/civilian side and offer these services at a premium. Nobody actually spends the money at retail value to get to the niche instructor position cold turkey. "it's a big ---ng club, and you ain't in it", "rich get richer, poor get poorer" et al pick your platitude.

Ask the insurance company. Both for what experience you need to insure yourself, and what you need to give instruction for others to qualify for insurance. For very complex or unusual types you have to find an instructor with a certain amount of time in type to do your checkout and dual hours. Not just anybody with the appropriate certificates.
But I thought it was a simple airplane to fly..??
I thought the fact that "Joe average private pilot" could fly it was a selling point.
Certainly engine failures are all but extinct, and it really doesn't take any special skill to push a jet thrust lever forward.
Apparantly there is something more to it.
I'm sure a type costs some good money, but did they get the type just to teach? Did the instructor even pay for the type or was that an expense absorbed by the owner or operator?

Not trying to be a smart ass here, just trying to figure it out.

Do these outfits maintain hot seats? As someone who flies them for a living, flying vintage mil jets without a hot seat is not in my bucket list, especially single engine. Bird ingestion on takeoff is common enough to create a legitimate need for hot seats in an airplane you're not landing off-road and living to tell about it. Always give yourself an out.

ETA: The warbird site, not the Cirrus pseudo-jet

I was wondering the same thing. For some reason I don't think they do. A single engine with an approach speed of what, 130 knots? That thing is turning into a ball of fire unless you have a runway to put it down on.

In light singles, if you lose the engine the forced landing usually goes fine. Alls you need is a well placed incipient stall/spin on a medium sized tree, and walk away.

Back