Jet hits someone on the RUNWAY? Austin, TX (Keep Austin Weird, I guess)

"officials do not believe the unidentified man was supposed to be on the runway at the time of the incident"

Ya think?!?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hate to be the guy to clean that up.

We had an old man commit suicide in our fire district by laying down on a railroad crossing in front of an Amtrak.

We were called out to hose off the locomotive and help pick up the pieces.

If you feel the need to kill yourself, think about the people who will have to clean up after you. I guess at least our guy didn't cause hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage.

Kind of like walking on the railroad tracks, stupid stuff.

Suicide by airliner, that’s a new one.

And hopefully not one that inspires imitators.

As an emergency responder myself, and a human in general, I really hate suicide. Its a permanent fix to a temporary problem. Its selfish and inflicts a lot more pain on others. Especially in situations where its a loved one that has to make the initial discovery or worse witnesses the act firsthand. That person will be scarred for life.

I dunno...although it happened, think about how many things would have to go right and factors to align for that to be a successful outcome if that was your intended goal.

Now that is different from "I am gonna go play on a runway and don't care if I die"

My money is on drugs/boozed/mental issues if it was an airport worker, just bat s#!t crazy in the wrong pace at the wrong time if a transient.

...or some dumb azz trying to make a TickTok video for likes.

I'm kind of wondering why someone would be out on the runway. A case of trying to re-live the scene from Pushing Tin (John Cusack, Billy Bob Thornton movie)?

That's why I never walk on runways without a helmet.

And hopefully not one that inspires imitators.

As an emergency responder myself, and a human in general, I really hate suicide. Its a permanent fix to a temporary problem. Its selfish and inflicts a lot more pain on others. Especially in situations where its a loved one that has to make the initial discovery or worse witnesses the act firsthand. That person will be scarred for life.

My heart aches for my sister-in-law, she came home 2½ years ago to find my sixteen year old nephew dead from a shotgun blast. He would have been a senior graduating this week.

My heart aches for my sister-in-law, she came home 2½ years ago to find my sixteen year old nephew dead from a shotgun blast. He would have been a senior graduating this week.
I don't like to hear those kind of stories, condolences to you and your family

We had an old man commit suicide in our fire district by laying down on a railroad crossing in front of an Amtrak.

Our LIVED; so it was the joy of the first responders and hospital personnel to attend to the pieces for the few... I think it was 12 hours they kept him alive.

Our LIVED; so it was the joy of the first responders and hospital personnel to attend to the pieces for the few... I think it was 12 hours they kept him alive.
Ugh. Im generally against assisted suicide, but sometimes I wonder.

We were called out to hose off the locomotive and help pick up the pieces.

If you feel the need to kill yourself, think about the people who will have to clean up after you. I guess at least our guy didn't cause hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage.

From the picture CBS got, I wouldn't bet that it wasn't very costly.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/southwest-airlines-jet-plane-hits-kills-person-austin-airport/

I don't like to hear those kind of stories, condolences to you and your family

Thank you so much. He was a bright, friendly, and loving person that never gave any indication he was suffering. I mourn his passing and that he thought what he did was necessary.

I dunno...although it happened, think about how many things would have to go right and factors to align for that to be a successful outcome if that was your intended goal.

Now that is different from "I am gonna go play on a runway and don't care if I die"
Those were my thoughts too. There are many more methods that would assure success.

Between the nacelle repairs, removing the engine, rebuilding it, and installing a different engine, I would think the cost would be significant.

Ordinarily there would also be the cost of taking the aircraft out of service, but that's not a concern right now.
I wonder if there's gonna be legal fireworks between Southwest and the city.

Between the nacelle repairs, removing the engine, rebuilding it, and installing a different engine, I would think the cost would be significant.

Ordinarily there would also be the cost of taking the aircraft out of service, but that's not a concern right now.

Who said anything about rebuilding the engine?

Who said anything about rebuilding the engine?

Judging from the nacelle damage, I'd say it's unlikely parts of the trespasser didn't go through the SNECMA blender.

Even if that didn't happen, I would be surprised if Southwest didn't go through it.

Last edited:
Judging from the nacelle damage, I'd say it's unlikely parts of the tresspasser didn't go through the SNECMA blender.

Even if that didn't happen, I would be surprised if Southwest didn't go through it.

Depends if there's damage, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if that engine went right back to work, with nothing more than a borescope inspection.

I feel sorry for the crew because not only will they have to go the rest of their lives knowing that they killed someone but they will have an accident on their record and have to go through all the FAA/NTSB investigation BS.

Back