Street 16192 COASTAL HWY

City LEWES State DELAWARE
County SUSSEX Zip Code 19958-3608
Country UNITED STATES
Airworthiness

Engine Manufacturer Unknown Classification Unknown
Engine Model Unknown Category None
A/W Date None Exception Code No

~5500' is no sweat for a Falcon 50, assuming you're on speed....
The story doesn't note whether this is a takeoff or a landing accident. Will be interesting to see.
Edit: it looks as if the T/Rs are deployed, but still could be an RTO or overrun.

Last edited:
It's happened there before, also a corporate jet, but I can't remember when. Not more than 20 years ago, for sure. RIP

The story doesn't note whether this is a takeoff or a landing accident. Will be interesting to see.
Edit: it looks as if the T/Rs are deployed, but still could be an RTO or overrun.

Buckets aren’t out on the port side.......

Rumour is that the SIC was only a VFR private pilot, and the PIC was either not typed or freshly out of school.

Ouch. That ditch and berm was not helpful. They hit hard and fast it looks like. That nose looks partially bent down before the section that got shoved up into the cockpit. Major wrinkle under the #2.

Ouch. That ditch and berm was not helpful. They hit hard and fast it looks like. That nose looks partially bent down before the section that got shoved up into the cockpit. Major wrinkle under the #2.

Unfortunate they overran on 19. 1 has EMAS at the end. Could have made a difference.

Rumour is that the SIC was only a VFR private pilot, and the PIC was either not typed or freshly out of school.

That's a pretty bold rumor to be spreading without reliable evidence. Probably best to refrain from the rumor mill on this one.

Well, it's at least half true. Here's the SIC - Private ASMEL, no IR. I guess since he's not the captain, he technically doesn't need an IR to go in the flight levels, but it's incredibly rare to have that happen with someone with ratings that low.

STEPHEN GEORGE FOX

Address is not available
Medical Information:
Medical Class: Second Medical Date: 3/2017
MUST WEAR CORRECTIVE LENSES.
BasicMed Course Date: None BasicMed CMEC Date: None
Certificates
PRIVATE PILOT

PRIVATE PILOT(FOREIGN BASED)
Certificates Description

Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT
Date of Issue: 3/17/2010

Ratings:
PRIVATE PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND

Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.

Well, it's at least half true. Here's the SIC - Private ASMEL, no IR. I guess since he's not the captain, he technically doesn't need an IR to go in the flight levels, but it's incredibly rare to have that happen with someone with ratings that low.

STEPHEN GEORGE FOX

Address is not available
Medical Information:
Certificates
PRIVATE PILOT

And only flying on a third class medical to boot, not that it makes a difference since he is not a commercial pilot. This one will be interesting to follow.

You need your IFR to be sic on an aircraft that requires an sic and is operating ifr.

What will be really interesting is if this was a 135 trip.

You need your IFR to be sic on an aircraft that requires an sic and is operating ifr.

Ref? I was thinking that was the case, but I can't remember a reg requiring it.

Never mind, found it. 61.55(a)(2).

Last edited:
Issued 3/17. Beyond 1year from issue.

True... But technically it's still a second class medical, it's just not usable for commercial privileges any more. ;)

Definitely will be interesting to see what kind of operation this was. I can't see the right seater being a private pilot and being legal in any way unless he owned the airplane, and he still needed an instrument rating.

STEPHEN GEORGE FOX

Address is not available
Medical Information:
Certificates
PRIVATE PILOT

PRIVATE PILOT(FOREIGN BASED)
Certificates Description

Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT
Date of Issue: 3/17/2010

Ratings:
PRIVATE PILOT

Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.

He has a Foreign-Based Certificate which can only be given at the FAA Private Level. He could very well hold an ATP from his home ICAO State.

Per the FAA database for the other pilot, John Caswell:

Certificate: AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT
Date of Issue: 3/5/2016

Ratings:
AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT
COMMERCIAL PRIVILEGES

Type Ratings:
A/DA-50 A/G-1159 A/LR-JET

Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.
DA-50 SIC PRIVILEGES ONLY.

Per the FAA database for the other pilot, John Caswell:

Certificate: AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT
Date of Issue: 3/5/2016

Ratings:
AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT
COMMERCIAL PRIVILEGES

Type Ratings:
A/DA-50 A/G-1159 A/LR-JET

Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.
DA-50 SIC PRIVILEGES ONLY.

Just keeps getting deeper. Next question is who owned the airplane and who was in the back. Was this a Part 134 1/2 charter?

Just keeps getting deeper. Next question is who owned the airplane and who was in the back. Was this a Part 134 1/2 charter?

It is possible John Caswell recently got his PIC type and the FAA database hasn't been updated, but pairing a freshly typed pilot with someone that isn't qualified to be there is a recipe for disaster. But, the airplane was based in South Florida, and nothing that comes out of there is a surprise to me.

And per this article, Fox owned the company that manged the Falcon

https://www.tampabay.com/news/publi...n-his-jet-crashes-in-South-Carolina_172195372

Definitely will be interesting to see what kind of operation this was. I can't see the right seater being a private pilot and being legal in any way unless he owned the airplane, and he still needed an instrument rating.

That is what I was thinking. Not many circumstances would legally place a private pilot in the right seat of a two pilot jet unless he owned it. Any other way there would compensation to be considered, whether financial or the flight time.

The insurance company will be quick to jump on this one I'm sure. If it is indeed what it appears to be initially, no way was this operation covered by the insurance, if there even was any.

That is what I was thinking. Not many circumstances would legally place a private pilot in the right seat of a two pilot jet unless he owned it. Any other way there would compensation to be considered, whether financial or the flight time.

The insurance company will be quick to jump on this one I'm sure. If it is indeed what it appears to be initially, no way was this operation covered by the insurance, if there even was any.

I think the insurance company is going to be the least concern for any of the management that is left in the company, the FAA is going to come down on them like a ton of bricks. Jail time is a distinct possibility.

134 1/2 ???

Slang for illegal charter

But that ATP wouldn’t be valid for a U.S.-registered aircraft being flown in the U.S.

True. Just making a point that this guy could be more experienced then people are giving him credit for.

It will be a complex investigation for sure.

Back