Jet Blue Gear up NOW at LAX.

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Jet Blue flight 292 has a nose gear that won't retract. It'll be landing at LAX. It's live on CNN and MSNBC.

No word on whether they're sending out a Jeep. :rolleyes:

The tires are off to the right. It's got 130 souls on board.

It's circling Long Beach at a very low altitude to burn off fuel.

It left Burbank bound for JFK, New York. The gear wouldn't retract.

Last edited:
picture showing the front gear at a 90 degree angle.

Paula Zahn has Captain Al Haines. She gave him the bums rush because she "had another pilot" to talk to.

She just came back to him and thought to ask about his United....

G-R-E-A-T now Larry King has A*r W*k on CNN. He's already lining up at the courthouse door.

CNN wants to know if the passengers on the plane are watching so they can add extra terror for them.

Update: Passengers were watching MSNBC. Ironically, MSNBC got a supposed Blackberry email easrlier from the plane that they had turned the TVs off at 5:30. The passenger on MSNBC said the TVs were on until landing.

Last edited:
Michael said:
picture showing the front gear at a 90 degree angle.

Hopefully they had sprung for the 360 degree, full castoring nosewheel option...

Did you guys watch that landing? That was an amazing job by the pilot, keeping the nosewheel off until the last possible moment.

I gotta be honest, I thought for sure that the nosegear was gonna collapse when it started dragging tho. I'm truly amazed that it stayed upright.

Someone's gotta buy those pilots a few beers.

Nice job by the crew.

Reinforces the name "scarebus". :eek:

NickDBrennan said:
Someone's gotta buy those pilots a few beers.

Three cheers for a job well done! :cheers:

--Kath

NickDBrennan said:
Did you guys watch that landing? That was an amazing job by the pilot, keeping the nosewheel off until the last possible moment......

Outstanding. Just perfect. :yes: :happydance:

NickDBrennan said:
Did you guys watch that landing? That was an amazing job by the pilot, keeping the nosewheel off until the last possible moment.

BRAVO for those pilots... now THAT's "artful flying".

I caught the last couple minutes of it.
That was awesome, i figured the gear would for sure collapse, but no and the pilots kept it on the centerline.
Pretty exciting stuff!

:yes: :cheerswine: :yes:

Forget the beers. They probably needed a change of underdrawers...then a few kegs, and then a significant raise!

terry

NickDBrennan said:
I gotta be honest, I thought for sure that the nosegear was gonna collapse when it started dragging tho. I'm truly amazed that it stayed upright.

Quite frankly, Nick, it turned out just about exactly how I thought it would.

A great outcome, to be sure. My sincere congrats to the pilot!

Without taking away from that achievement, I think it is remarkably positive that the TV station I was watching here in SoCal had Barry Shiff as an expert witness. Every time the talking heads would begin to go astray, Barry weighed in with his experience and facts - calmly, rationally cutting off the nonsense and injecting a little reality into the situation. Marvelous job, Barry! I hope the media learns from this example of how to report aviation mishaps.

-Skip

Rudy said:
the pilots kept it on the centerline.

I commented on that to my family as they came to a stop. Impressive job. Then a friend from church called with an excellent question. After all that, would you be standing under that thing looking at the gear like some appeared to be doing?:rolleyes:

mikea said:
Jet Blue flight 292 has a nose gear that won't come down. It'll be landing at LAX. It's live on CNN and MSNBC.

Oooh... Coolest coverage yet (possible!) on this:

The latest episode of Joe d'Eon's "Fly With Me" podcast actually has cockpit audio! Here's the episode description:

"Fly With Me Episode 8.5 10:07 9/22/05 I captured some audio from the Jet Blue emergency landing at LAX yesterday. Listen as the Captain discusses his options with maintenance and his dispatcher."

http://www.flywithjoe.com/

flyingcheesehead said:

The latest episode of Joe d'Eon's "Fly With Me" podcast actually has cockpit audio! Here's the episode description:

"Fly With Me Episode 8.5 10:07 9/22/05 I captured some audio from the Jet Blue emergency landing at LAX yesterday. Listen as the Captain discusses his options with maintenance and his dispatcher."

Wow, that's amazing. It a good thing he didn't take the maintenance crew's word as gospel.

The Media SUCK$ National program just said it was reminicent of the United 291 crash ( I think that was the flt # Al Haines plane). NO IT WAS NOT. Ugh inciting fear and terror must get them a bonus

AdamZ said:
The Media SUCK$ National program just said it was reminicent of the United 291 crash ( I think that was the flt # Al Haines plane). NO IT WAS NOT. Ugh inciting fear and terror must get them a bonus
Again I am impressed by the coverage I heard while the incident was being broadcast live on TV9 in LA. The talking heads actually brought up United 291 and Barry Schiff explained the difference and made the point that U291 was not at all like JB. The value of the media having ready access to an expert was enormous to calm the hysteria that would have come over the broadcast without it.

Kudos to Barry for keeping the hysteria controlled - at least on this channel/network.

-Skip

Re: Jet Blue Gear up NOW at LAX. HEAR IT!

flyingcheesehead said:

http://joepodcaster.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=22883

The captain tells them it was written up for similar fault yesterday. He ask for winds because he doesn't want a crosswind.

Wow! At first Jet Blue maintenance support was telling him they were sure he had a sensor and indicator failure and the gear was OK. :hairraise:

I don't know how it worked out that they got visuals on the gear other than the MANY TV choppers who were able to spot the jet with long lenses. It's a good thing they could get a visual. [We gotta guess that the TV news producers were really excited to have a chance to watch an airliner crash happen LIVE. Too bad it wasn't exciting enough. :rolleyes: ]

Since Joe was airborne and couldn't record the entire thing, this cast ends with his fellow ATP pilots getting the update on how it ended. Pretty cool.

Last edited:
wsuffa said:
Nice job by the crew.

Reinforces the name "scarebus". :eek:

oh ptooey <^; damn sturdy gear though.

Re: Jet Blue Gear up NOW at LAX. HEAR IT!

I don't know how it worked out that they got visuals on the gear other than the MANY TV choppers who were able to spot the jet with long lenses.
THe close up of the gear I saw was taken from the tower cab as the pilot made a series of low passes.

sierra said:
oh ptooey <^; damn sturdy gear though.

Sure is.

My dislike for Airbus came on long international flights to Europe on the A-340. Really not very comfortable at all.

I'm wondering how far the nosegear strut was worn down?

Tom Downey, if you are here... what is the service limit on this? LOL!

-Skip

Back