Jet-A w/ prist in home furnace

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
Thoughts on running Jet-A w/ prist in this?

Beckett home furnace, forced air with a outdoor tank, normally running on kerosene as it gets too cold for heating oil with the outdoor tank, the furnace also has a outdoor exhaust.

Beckett home furnace, forced air with a outdoor tank, normally running on kerosene as it gets too cold for heating oil with the outdoor tank, the furnace also has a outdoor exhaust.

Why not....:rolleyes:

During the original Energy Crisis, we were in Japan and steam heat was released to,housing for 2 hours per day, in the evening. Kerosene heaters were popular, but kerosene was as scarce as gasoline. So everybody burned what was sold as "contaminated" JP-3 to stay warm. Toasty warm . . . So warm that we had to replace both the wick and the screen mesh inside regularly. Jet fuel burns hotter than kerosene. What could be messed up on your furnace by the higher heat?

jet a shouldn't be an issue. Very close to kerosene in energy level. Probably more expensive though.

Also.....off road diesel is good too.....especially the winter blend.

How about just adding the prist to the 1A?

They don't sell #1 stove oil there? That's all they sell here year-round, and since it's stove oil is isn't taxed like pump fuel. Most guys don't need stove oil for summer use so #2 makes little sense.

When we needed to get our tent heaters working fast in the Army we always pulled a few gallons of JP-4/5 out of the Aircraft to cut the diesel...You had to be careful with JP-4 as it has a high cut of gasoline but JP5/Jet A was less volatile and could be used straight at low settings...Cold War Germany ass deep in snow on the border was the mother of invention...Prist was in every gallon but don't know how that made things different.

Last edited:
Only reason I'm asking is we sump a decent amount of Jet-A with prist at the airport, it's free to anyone with a Jerry can that wants it.

Last edited:
My guys used to use the sumped fuel all the time (Teterboro AP circa 1985) in their home oil burners...

Jet-A is essentially clean kerosene...

Excellent, thanks guys :yes:

I'll just keep on dumping 5gal of Jet-A w/ Prost every once in a while when I remember to bring my 5gal can.

Excellent, thanks guys :yes:

I'll just keep on dumping 5gal of Jet-A w/ Prost every once in a while when I remember to bring my 5gal can.

You gotta stop siphoning that stuff out of Mari's jet. The bosses are noticing. ;)

:lol::lol::rofl::rofl:,,

Can you actually siphon out of a single point jet?:dunno::dunno::dunno:
There are the fuel drains...

And even fuel caps for facilities that don't have single point. But those are locked.

Hell if I know. I suppose a .45 round in the right place will make it leak enough to fill a 5 gallon can.

Ice pick, makes less noise and you can plug it back up with a Tootsie pop stick when you are done. :wink2:

Interesting.. I didn't know you could overwing a 680..:redface:
Yup. I've done it... once. It was a small airport, and the guy couldn't believe we were asking for 500 gallons (which is not even half of what we order sometimes). That probably accounted for his fuel sales for the month.

Yup. I've done it... once. It was a small airport, and the guy couldn't believe we were asking for 500 gallons (which is not even half of what we order sometimes). That probably accounted for his fuel sales for the month.

Haha. And he had to call immediately after he got done to the on call guy to go drive the truck to the fuel farm and fill it. :)

Haha. And he had to call immediately after he got done to the on call guy to go drive the truck to the fuel farm and fill it. :)

yabut it solved his algae problem...

Truck, what truck? :D

I called the day before to make sure they had enough fuel and to get instructions on where to park so the hoses would reach while still giving us enough room to turn around since I'm sure they didn't have anything that could tow us, or a tow head.

That was quite a day, Sis. I'm pretty sure we could have got you turned around with the tractor, a couple of tow straps, some thirty weight ball bearings and ten pounds of extra stout axle grease. No problem! Biggest thing to show up in Antigo since, well, me. You come back soon....you're always welcome at our place.

That was quite a day, Sis. I'm pretty sure we could have got you turned around with the tractor, a couple of tow straps, some thirty weight ball bearings and ten pounds of extra stout axle grease. No problem! Biggest thing to show up in Antigo since, well, me. You come back soon....you're always welcome at our place.

Wow, my Burrito brother returned! :eek: :D

And observant enough to realize I was talking about... that day!

Thanks for the use of you wheels!

Last edited:
Of course! It was just great to have you here. Airplanes can make a big, big world seem pretty small.

The furnace is in utility room, it's exhaust pipe goes directly out the side of the house. I wouldn't think the fumes would be a factor??

We even have a co detector about 2' from the back of the furnace, which hasn't even given a chirp.

The furnace is in utility room, it's exhaust pipe goes directly out the side of the house. I wouldn't think the fumes would be a factor??

We even have a co detector about 2' from the back of the furnace, which hasn't even given a chirp.

Don't worry about it, burn away, it sounds like free heat. If the burner functions properly with kerosene or fuel oil it will be fine with Jet A.

For your reading pleasure:

https://www.beckettcorp.com/support/tech-bulletins/alternative-fuels-and-beckett-burners/

Interesting.. I didn't know you could overwing a 680..:redface:

You can overwing some airliners - at least on the two models I've flown it was possible. It just takes a long, long time! :D

Agreed both. There has to be an outdoor exhaust for heating oil. Newbie here taking training for my flying license in TX.

Back