JesseWeather with Notifications is LIVE

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
After a lot of hard work -- I've released the next major update for JesseWeather. The notification system really takes the site to the next level. Notifications allow you to define weather rules for an airport and then receive a notification to your cell phone or e-mail when those rules occur.

For example -- I have a notification setup which notifies me when the weather at Lincoln is good for practice approaches (ceiling less than 1,000, wind less than 40, visibility greater than 1, temperature greater than 0).

Tristan has a notification setup to send her a message in the morning when the weather degrades below a point where she likely won't be giving instruction to her primary students.

I encourage you to check it out. Keep in mind this website is still considered beta, bugs may occur, don't trust your life on it, always us an official weather source..blah blah blah :)

http://www.jesseweather.com

It works well- I have a setup for VFR or wind conditions.

Jesse is my hero, my Spirit Guide.

a few questions:

is there the possibility for a greater/less than or equal to option? since visibility and ceiling are usually reported in even numbers, if I want to set up a notification that includes ceilings at 3000 ft. and above for example i need to put in "ceiling greater than 2999" currently, right?

any chance you can save email and phone info with profile so we don't have to type it in every time? of course there is alway issues with storing sensitive info, i understand.

how about a "add another notification" button so that you can go right into your next notification instead of having to go back to the main notification page, then click the + sign at the bottom of the page? seems a little clunky.

an option to edit an existing notification instead of having to delete it and then create a new one?

it seems the update is "instantaneous" this seems like a good idea to begin with. but for example i just edited my "practice IFR" notification by deleting the ceiling limitation (leaving only a wind limit). then i got a text and email saying that practice IFR was active. then i put the ceiling limit back in (<1001 feet) and took out the wind limit and immediately got a text that it was no longer active. a little confusing although damn that is fast, good work! maybe a "save changes" button?

Looking good!! Anyway to get Notifacations sent to my Boost Phone?

I think the FAQs is the best section, especially "Should I trust this weather data?"

Comments:

When you register, it just takes you back to the login page, without saying that an eMail will be sent to you for activation. Would be good to add that note somewhere for stupid people like me who thought "Ok, now what?"

Is there a way to add something like thunderstorms as well?

I played with it yesterday, Jesse, as you know, and I absolutely love it. You can tell the amount of hard work you've put into this, and it shows.

Good yob!

Realizing I didn't point this out well:

Jesse, excellent work. You clearly put a ton of effort into this.

a few questions:

is there the possibility for a greater/less than or equal to option? since visibility and ceiling are usually reported in even numbers, if I want to set up a notification that includes ceilings at 3000 ft. and above for example i need to put in "ceiling greater than 2999" currently, right?
Hmm..yeah..It'd be easy to add. The problem would be that if the ceiling were 3100 or 2900 you wouldn't get the notification. Do you want a notification that seriously looks exactly for 3000?

Perhaps you could explain what exactly you're trying to get the notification to do and I cant point out the best way or build a good way to do it.

any chance you can save email and phone info with profile so we don't have to type it in every time? of course there is alway issues with storing sensitive info, i understand.
Yeah. It'd be possible to save it. That is a future feature I'm planning on building.

tonycondon said:
an option to edit an existing notification instead of having to delete it and then create a new one?
Do you mean a condition? Like an edit of a rule in the notification?

tonycondon said:
it seems the update is "instantaneous" this seems like a good idea to begin with. but for example i just edited my "practice IFR" notification by deleting the ceiling limitation (leaving only a wind limit). then i got a text and email saying that practice IFR was active. then i put the ceiling limit back in (<1001 feet) and took out the wind limit and immediately got a text that it was no longer active. a little confusing although damn that is fast, good work! maybe a "save changes" button?
I could configure it to disable the notification whenever a rule change is made. Then once you are ready you could click Enable notification. Would that make sense?

Hmm..yeah..It'd be easy to add. The problem would be that if the ceiling were 3100 or 2900 you wouldn't get the notification. Do you want a notification that seriously looks exactly for 3000?

Perhaps you could explain what exactly you're trying to get the notification to do and I cant point out the best way or build a good way to do it.

Yeah. It'd be possible to save it. That is a future feature I'm planning on building.

I could configure it to disable the notification whenever a rule change is made. Then once you are ready you could click Enable notification. Would that make sense?

Jesse - make it >= instead of just ==.

Oh...I see what Tony meant. Right now it is all either > or < values. Which made sense to me -- but I can understand that the majority would probably want the ability to do greater than or equal to.

What i mean is if I want my IFR notification to activate anytime the ceiling is 1000 feet or lower, currently I have to put in Less than 1001 feet. I suspect most people will type in 1000 feet and only get notifications when the ceiling is reported 900 or lower.

cool!

yes thats what i meant. i think that would make it a lot more efficient and streamlined.

yea that makes sense to me. i actually accidentally came across this one when i was changing stuff around and all the sudden i was being barraged with emails and texts.

Wow, anybody that watches your video gets your cell phone #. ;-) Great technical support!

Geez, Jesse. You get more accomplished in your 'spare time' than most IT Professionals get accomplished in a 40 hour work week.

Looks slick!

yep, which is why we all should click the donate button so Jesse can buy more Mt. Dew.

....and he goes through his mountain dew!

It's a great program, I was one of the first guinni pigs. I currently have the settings according to what weather conditions are good with students so it's great for CFIs too!

Ok my airport doesn't have a TAF and Tower doesn't open until 0800.

Anyway you can email me what the 0753 metar would be at around 0600 so I can turn the alarm clock off and go back to sleep?

You've done just about everything else people have asked for. Good job Jess

Joe

a few questions:

<SNIP>

Jesse's more flexible than the FAA... with their rules such as: Class E extends from 14,500' up to, but not including, 18,000', etc.

Wow Great job!

Nice going, this is going to be useful.

Hey, save this short wish list, (for about 4 months from now when you are no longer sick of hearing suggestions!):

- default of "one of these rules" vs "all these rules"
- default of ceiling is "less than", vis is "less than"
I think it will be less clicking, less entry errors for most folks
- option to send notif. to Both email and cell (only can get one or the other right now)
-Enable Notifications is a bit hard to find...near the bottom would seem more natural (to me)
-beside the + button, I'd add some words like 'Add a Notification' or "Add Rule" and I'd like a bigger button. Fussy? yeah!
-ok it looks like it will pick up a letter/number airport without the K - good.
-hmm it won't accept winds > 50kts?? (j/k - a west tx requirement!)

Love it!

hm security thing: I guess if someone had your cell phone or email and got on here, they could get on and really drive you nuts with constant texts and emails!

Last edited:
I just sat down and completed nearly every request. It took about two hours -- most of that in the recently used addresses feature. The following changes are now live:

feature: added boost mobile to notifications
design: add words to images (add notification, add rule, add to address)
feature: disable notification after adding rule or deleting rule
feature: Show notification disabled or enabled on main notifications page
feature: notifications are now greater than or equal to / less than or equal to
feature: when you add to addresses you'll have a recently used addresses option (if you've ever added an address). It'll contain the last 50 addresses used for notifications.
bugfix: if you clicked add a to address -- selected e-mail -- and then filled in a few invalid characters -- and then selected recently used addresses and picked an address it would not work.

I do still feel that the Enable Notification option needs to be more prevalent in the design. I'm not really a designer but I'll figure something out. It's time to sleep though :)

Let'sgoflying! said:
- option to send notif. to Both email and cell (only can get one or the other right now)
Dave -- this is supported. You can send to as many devices as you'd like. I demonstrate this in the training video:
http://dev.jesseweather.com/notifications/video

Last edited:
If you think you are ready, give us permission to spread the word...might boost your donations. ie other forums, personal networks.

wow, its working like a dream! the 'alarm' went off for one of my frequent stops....and moments later Spike, who is there, has called - he and I are discussing weather deterioration there.

wow, its working like a dream! the 'alarm' went off for one of my frequent stops....and moments later Spike, who is there, has called - he and I are discussing weather deterioration there.
There is something cool about receiving it out of no-where after you've configured one.

A previous update I made would disable the notification after you made any rule change and then you would have to enable it. I just pushed a new update that removes that. Now when you make a rule change the notification will just pause for 3 minutes. This way you won't have to remember to re-enable the notification after every edit.

I also just improved the appearance of the graphs slightly by fixing a few issues.

I'll let you guys know when I want you to "spread the word". It'll be soon -- there are just a couple of quality assurance features I'm building in first.

great weekend to try it out, lots of weather, its up and down here in Texas.
will hold off on mass notifications...til you make the donation mandatory!

Jesse, simple request to the Notification email subject line.

Instead of just Notification, can you show the alert name, too, like this?

Notification : KFTW (IFR practice wx) is ACTIVE!

Will help when you have lots of alerts defined, or when the alert goes inactive.

Two questions:
1) If an alert triggers outside my notification window (i.e., it goes active at 3am), will I get alerted at the beginning of my notification window, if it's still active?
2) Is it possible to set different notification windows for different devices (don't text my cell at night when I'm sleeping, but notify my email all the time)? That would resolve question #1 for me.

Jesse, simple request to the Notification email subject line.

Instead of just Notification, can you show the alert name, too, like this?

Notification : KFTW (IFR practice wx) is ACTIVE!

Will help when you have lots of alerts defined, or when the alert goes inactive.
I'll look into that. The problem though is the 155 character text message limit. I think the subject is part of that limit so I can't make it too long.

1) If an alert triggers outside my notification window (i.e., it goes active at 3am), will I get alerted at the beginning of my notification window, if it's still active?
Yes Troy -- when your notification is sleeping -- to the system it is as if that notification doesn't exist at all. As soon as it wakes up at whatever time you set it'll check the conditions. If the conditions dictate it goes active -- it will ...if not -- it won't.

If the conditions were active before your window then went in-active during your window you'll get the message when it wakes up provided the conditions still make it in-active.

If the conditions went active and then went in-active while it was sleeping -- you'd never know that happened -- which I think is fine.

2) Is it possible to set different notification windows for different devices (don't text my cell at night when I'm sleeping, but notify my email all the time)? That would resolve question #1 for me.
Possible -- and something I'd be willing to build if it were needed. Right now I'm going to hold off on any major feature change for a week or two and just let the interface "settle in" for people.

Spread the word.

I've built a few more features in the back-end to make it more reliable (not that anyone has had a single problem). I keep telling myself I should build more into it...but...at this point I think it is ready.

I'm trying to figure out how to market it exactly..but right now I'm hoping word of mouth will do the job. We'll see.

Right now there are 27 registered users with a total of 39 notifications configured.

Spread the word.

I've built a few more features in the back-end to make it more reliable (not that anyone has had a single problem). I keep telling myself I should build more into it...but...at this point I think it is ready.

I'm trying to figure out how to market it exactly..but right now I'm hoping word of mouth will do the job. We'll see.

Right now there are 27 registered users with a total of 39 notifications configured.

Tell the editors at aero-news.net and avweb.com about it via a small press release, and you'll have plenty of users.

Thanks for your replies above to my suggestions; those make total sense.

I just cut/pasted your post and sent it to about 30 people including Richard, at FLYER publication(Connecticut).

HR

Tell the editors at aero-news.net and avweb.com about it via a small press release, and you'll have plenty of users.

Thanks for your replies above to my suggestions; those make total sense.
Anyone interesting in writing such a press release for me? Writing is not really a skill of mine.

this morning at 8 AM i got a nice text notifying me that my IFR alert is active. and now, 45 minutes later I got another text telling me that my IFR alert is active. The METAR had updated for the hourly report I suppose, but the weather had not changed appreciably. I'm trying to figure out why I got another text/email when the original alert was still active.

nevermind. i had poorly set up my notifications so that when the ceiling improved for a short while the IFR note was no longer active. but i had set up MVFR and VFR notifications with visibility requirements. Ceiling was Marginal but Vis was good so no notification was sent. then it went back down to IFR so i got a new notification. I had not set it up to send a notification when it was no longer active.

nevermind. i had poorly set up my notifications so that when the ceiling improved for a short while the IFR note was no longer active. but i had set up MVFR and VFR notifications with visibility requirements. Ceiling was Marginal but Vis was good so no notification was sent. then it went back down to IFR so i got a new notification. I had not set it up to send a notification when it was no longer active.
That'll get you. The key thing is to set the notifications with detail. It supports enough to really prevent alerts you wouldn't want.

Ahhh.. The infamous loose nut behind the keyboard problem. Happens all the time...

Back