Jeppesen Customer Service - A Class Act

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I've planned on not flying much this year to save money so I can quit my job and "retire" in a few years (and buy an airplane). So I decided to see what would happen if I didn't renew my $740/yr Jeppview subscription and wanted to restart service at a later time when finances were better.

I called Jeppesen and told them what I had in mind, and asked if it was true that restarting the service would only cost an extra $100.00 for the initial service in the future. "Oh no, sir", I was told, "You'll only pay the renewal fee since you already own the software. You'll just get the latest version with your CD or download when you restart your service". So I was pleased by that news.

Then, in the mail today, I got a HAND-WRITTEN card from the Jepp rep, thanking me for being a Jepp customer for all these years, and hoping to be able to serve me again when I resumed flying.

I tell ya, after all the crap I deal with trying to get treated decently by various businesses, all of whom have adopted the "I'm sorry, but I'm not responsible" attitude towards their customers, this kind of response blurred my vision a little. I applaud the company for understanding that personal trust and loyalty are key elements of the aviation culture, and making it clear that they appreciate my business. They'll get it again in the future, I'm sure.

Cap'n Jepps' operations have always been that way.
I was hoping they'd stay cool after he passed on.

A year before I returned to flying, I bough the PPL software to study by. Things got put off again and I was never able to use it on the first laptop it was installed on.

In 2005 when I did start flying again, I tried installing it on a new laptop I had. It wouldn't run at all due to some changes between XP/SP2 and the older Jep software.

I called Jep and go passed up the line. I'd talked with only a CSR, their supervisor and then one more level above them. I had simply wanted to swap out software. Instead, she sent me a full refund on my word for what I paid to a retailer and didn't even ask for return of the CD.

So... Mega-dittos on Jep service! :)

Cap'n Jepps' operations have always been that way.
I was hoping they'd stay cool after he passed on.
I wish that could be said for Wal-Mart after Sam's passing.

I guess we will see you in a few years then. Tudles Tim.
Oh, I'll still be here, and still flying enough to stay current and proficient (thank god I live by an airport where I can get in a real loggable sim for $35.00 per hour). I just won't be flying enough to justify having plates for the entire US anymore. I'll print out the NACO plates for the flying I do

Believe me, if I gave up flying altogether, I'd be impossible to live with (instead of merely difficult).

Gee I wonder what I was doing wrong. Jepp kept increasing the cost for the paper product and then took the low altitude enroute charts out of the express updates. A year later they said they were adding them back in but the cost would $14 more for the subscription and that this "was a service to our loyal customers". I dropped them and went NACO.

Glad you are getting better service but then I was only spending about $300/year with them. I guess the get treated better threshold was nearer to your $700/year level.

I have had mixed results with Jepp. I have one query in to them that they have never answered, and that is, why don't they make GPS card updates doable through a browser or some other direct internet link (like Turbotax does) instead of through their own specialized software? It's a long story, but this has made updating the card on my GNS430 a real PITA.

Judy

Back