Jepp Charts hard to read

You mean Jepp has their own guys that design IAPs, using their own waypoints, altitudes and courses, that are proprietary? Who knew.

Oh wait, they don't. Silly me.

Your sarcasm aside, no they don't. But, they do construct the database used by most of the avionics vendors.

Having said that, instrument procedures are generally designed by each country. That includes the FAA for this country. This is the only country that doesn't charge a user fee for use of the airspace and, in particular, IFR services from ATC to the design and flight inspection of airways and terminal instrument procedures. One of these days you might have to pay for every facet of IFR services and procedures. And, it could happen sooner rather than later if U.S. air traffic services are privatized (read: owned and operated by the airlines).

I was under the impression they get the database from the feds and simply format it for the appropriate units, and if I knew the formatting output, I'd do it myself.

I was under the impression they get the database from the feds and simply format it for the appropriate units, and if I knew the formatting output, I'd do it myself.

Well they do get some of their data from the feds. From what I understand they use multiple sorces and then Jeppify them.

Well they do get some of their data from the feds. From what I understand they use multiple sorces and then Jeppify them.

OK, they get the data for the US from the feds - which is all I require. It's a pretty good racket. Get the data for free, click a button, and charge thousands of users $450 bucks a year for it. I wish I could acquire all of the products I sell for free.

It's a German outfit called Lido. They chart only airports of interest to air carriers and they chart only Approach Category C and D minimums. They have lots of QC issues. FedEx used them for a time, then subsequently went back to Jeppesen.
Once we got used to Lido, we did NOT want to go back. Better presentation and organization all around. It IS a learning curve, because it is much different. Once you learn it, though, it is much better.
Hope their QC issues weren't the "drive you into the rocks" kind. The shading in the profile view gives a good "picture" of minimum segement altitudes
When we went to Lido charts, we flew simultaneously with both Lido and Jepp for a few months so guys had something they knew that they could reference. Then the writeups started... stuff like, Jepps has right hand holding depicted, and Lido left hand holding, etc. As it turns out, they went to the source host-country plates, and Lido was right most of the time, and Jepp had it wrong.

That looks like a cluster.
It's good once you get used to it.

You mean Jepp has their own guys that design IAPs, using their own waypoints, altitudes and courses, that are proprietary? Who knew.

Oh wait, they don't. Silly me.
What they do do is print tailored charts for air carriers. Our charts will have different mins than other carriers charts for the same airport, or at least more information. Here is the minimums block for MEM 36R in both Jepp and Gov't formats.
Jepp%20Mins.jpg

NACO%20Mins.jpg

I know without having to dig into our FOM exactly what I need to shoot each approach, what I need if a RVR is inop, or if there is lighting inop. Or what the mins change to if our plane's autoland goes from "fail operational" to "fail passive." If I was using a gov't chart, there would be a lot of digging and referencing light inop additives, RVR inop mins. Jepp puts it all on one plate that's right in front of me.

What they do do is print tailored charts for air carriers. Our charts will have different mins than other carriers charts for the same airport, or at least more information. Here is the minimums block for MEM 36R in both Jepp and Gov't formats.

I know without having to dig into our FOM exactly what I need to shoot each approach, what I need if a RVR is inop, or if there is lighting inop. Or what the mins change to if our plane's autoland goes from "fail operational" to "fail passive." If I was using a gov't chart, there would be a lot of digging and referencing light inop additives, RVR inop mins. Jepp puts it all on one plate that's right in front of me.
Also, you use the same format for international operations. No FAA jurisdiction, no FAA charts.

As to inoperative components in the U.S., Jepp takes care of that in all of its charts. The FAA chart user must use the difficult-to-use inoperative components table.

I always preferred them when I was using them. Just thought it flowed better. My 2 cents

I can't stand the Jepp charts BUT I've learned and used the FAA plates.

If I had no choice, there's no doubt in my mind I'd adapt fine to the Jepp plates and after a little time I'd have no issue with them at all.

Back