Jepp Charts hard to read

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
So, I'm trying to understand the appeal or usage of Jepp charts. I find the charts and plates harder to read than the FAA publications.

So, what's the point?

For most of the world they are the only choice. And once you're used to them, they are no harder (or easier) than the US freebies.

That's funny you bring this up. Just the other day in the hotel I was looking up weather and notams for our next leg. Something caught my eye on a notam. Tried to open Jepp view to view the approach ( no luck "app crash)

No big deal. I'll go look at the Gov chart. I almost had know idea what I was looking at. It really looked like a different language. I guess it's what you get used to

Once I got comfortable with the jepps,I never looked back. If you understand them they're great.

When Jepp puts them up for free, then they MAY be the way to go. Then again, most of the guys using jepps probably aren't paying for them.

Okay, thread drift....

If your favorite EFB of choice offered Jepp charts as an option with a reasonable subscription price, how many of you would buy that upgrade?

I wouldn't. Jepp is already raping me for Garmin subscriptions and data cards. They get no more of my money.

I prefer gov plates too, but I can speak jepp when needed (outside the US).

Gov't plates for me. I can't read or brief a Jepp plate.

The PC-12NG has Jepp plates loaded in and I always resort to using my iPad.

Ah, an endless debate. I've been hearing it longer than I can remember.

Suffice it to say, if you are flying in a business jet or air carrier over the U.S. and to foreign destinations, AIS (way back when NACO) waves "bye bye" as you depart the coastline.

So, I'm trying to understand the appeal or usage of Jepp charts. I find the charts and plates harder to read than the FAA publications.

So, what's the point?
Thats funny, because once upon a time the DOT charts sucked and eventually changed to emulate them in many ways.

For many many years they were the premier product, and ALL the pros used them. Use what you want. Its your money.

I can use either. Used the govmint while getting all my certificates/ratings, and then had to use Jepps (company provided) with the airline. Just use a little common sense, not as much difference between them really.

I'm the opposite. I learned on Jepp charts, and I am more comfortable with them.

Six of one, half dozen of the other. On the odd chance I need to be IFR while GA, government charts are fine. It's like an instrument scan - early on you concern yourself with instrument placement, glass vs. analog, etc, but eventually none of it matters anymore.

I have always used Jepp charts so I am much more comfortable with them. You should have heard the uproar among the pilots when the company proposed switching to government charts to save money. They actually changed their minds and stuck with Jepp.

I trained with the Jepp charts but now use the government charts exclusively

I think the Gov't charts are easier for 1 reason alone....

I love the airport diagram with the arrow showing where I am headed on the approach. I know it's silly and I can figure it out in my head but it really helps me in a busy approach environment to visually to see where I am in relation to the other runways, mainly when I'm doing a circling approach.

I have always used Jepp charts so I am much more comfortable with them. You should have heard the uproar among the pilots when the company proposed switching to government charts to save money. They actually changed their minds and stuck with Jepp.

That happened at TWA after I retired. With Icahn robbing the company the pilots were looking for every way to save money. Someone on that committee asked me my view? My response: "What do you plan to use for the international operation?"

They dropped the idea.

Back in the day, the National Ocean Service (NOS) charts were pretty bad. There was a color and formatting upgrade instituted with the National Aeronautical Charting Office (NACO), which is what NOS became. Now NACO is known as AeroNav (http://aeronav.faa.gov). AeroNav adopted some of Jeppesen's standards in revising their own charts, making the government versions much more user friendly than they ever used to be. Since that formatting change, I have never once heard anyone prefer Jepp charts.

I use Jepp in the jet and govt everywhere else. I don't find them all that different.

In addition to international support, Jepp provides company-specific charting that fits within their unique numbering scheme for organizing them. Companies pay a premium for this I'm quite sure.

There's a Jepp competitor that many foreign carriers use, but I can't remember the name. I've never seen their charts.

Back in the day, the National Ocean Service (NOS) charts were pretty bad. There was a color and formatting upgrade instituted with the National Aeronautical Charting Office (NACO), which is what NOS became. Now NACO is known as AeroNav (http://aeronav.faa.gov). AeroNav adopted some of Jeppesen's standards in revising their own charts, making the government versions much more user friendly than they ever used to be. Since that formatting change, I have never once heard anyone prefer Jepp charts.

I remember when that change happened. It was very welcome.

When Jepp puts them up for free, then they MAY be the way to go. Then again, most of the guys using jepps probably aren't paying for them.
Or, conversely, perhaps when the U.S. taxpayers stop paying for your "free" FAA charts.

I use Jepp in the jet and govt everywhere else. I don't find them all that different.

In addition to international support, Jepp provides company-specific charting that fits within their unique numbering scheme for organizing them. Companies pay a premium for this I'm quite sure.

There's a Jepp competitor that many foreign carriers use, but I can't remember the name. I've never seen their charts.

It's a German outfit called Lido. They chart only airports of interest to air carriers and they chart only Approach Category C and D minimums. They have lots of QC issues. FedEx used them for a time, then subsequently went back to Jeppesen. Attach is a Lido chart for Farmington, New Mexico. The approach has LPV minimums, for some reason Lido doesn't chart them.

Attachments

• Lido KFMN RNAV 25.pdf
    634.6 KB · Views: 16
Here's another Lido chart where they do chart LPV minimums. Strange.

Attachments

• Lido KTWF RNAV 26.pdf
    875.8 KB · Views: 12
Maybe their charts are tailored for what the operator can fly? :dunno:

It's a German outfit called Lido. They chart only airports of interest to air carriers and they chart only Approach Category C and D minimums. They have lots of QC issues. FedEx used them for a time, then subsequently went back to Jeppesen. Attach is a Lido chart for Farmington, New Mexico. The approach has LPV minimums, for some reason Lido doesn't chart them.

Hope their QC issues weren't the "drive you into the rocks" kind. The shading in the profile view gives a good "picture" of minimum segement altitudes

Hope their QC issues weren't the "drive you into the rocks" kind. The shading in the profile view gives a good "picture" of minimum segement altitudes

Jeppesen does the profile shading when it is in the state source.

Attachments

• YLHR RNAV Rwy 12.pdf
    82.1 KB · Views: 11
Jeppesen does the profile shading when it is in the state source.

Wonder why they dont do that in the US also. Might help put the you have to dive and drive because the thick black line is depicted as "step downs" on Jepp, or you have to "fly the profile" on Gov controversy to rest.

Do they have an ILS or LOC Rwy 1 at KALB?

Or, conversely, perhaps when the U.S. taxpayers stop paying for your "free" FAA charts.

You mean Jepp has their own guys that design IAPs, using their own waypoints, altitudes and courses, that are proprietary? Who knew.

Oh wait, they don't. Silly me.

Back