Want To Buy Javelin auxiliary tank

Marco Luciano

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Marco
I have a Cessna 180 and I am looking to buy a Javelin aux gas tank set up. Let me know if you have one to sell of know of someone selling.

Thanks

Best of luck. Those suckers are rare! What year 180 do you have?

Thanks, I know I will need it. I have a '55. I hear Griggs can make one for about $3800.00 but I thought I would try this out first. Have you had your 180 for a while?

Only since February. Luckily I got a '70 with long range tanks, otherwise I too would be looking for one. @Stickman has a '55 and bought a jav tank a month or two ago, maybe he can weigh in with any leads.

I have been going to Mexico with my 180 and sometimes fuel stops can be far between. I will contact Stickman. Good idea.

I had been looking for one for several years when this one turned up in Spokane. It was in a 175 that had a hangar door fall on it, crushing it from the boot cowl forward.

I called many boneyards over a fairly long period of time before one turned up. I have talked to Griggs and they technically don’t make one for the 180, only the 182 and straight tail 182.

They were willing to build me one and also help with a field approval. Really good people and I think their price is fair. Especially when you consider that Flint tanks are over 10K installed!

Monarch tanks are pricey too and they won’t work in an angle rib wing like your (and my) 1955 has.

Call every Airplane boneyard you can find and ask if they have other suggestions as well. The salvage outfit in Greeley, CO suggested the place in Spokane.

Be persistent and don’t hesitate if you find a good one, they don’t stay for sale for long!

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I am talking to Griggs. They are a reasonable option price wise, just wondering about how lengthy a field approval might take. Did you get your tank installed yet?

We installed it so that it can be removed if not needed. We put quick disconnects on the drain, supply and pump wiring. It can be taken out in about twenty minutes.

I have a Javelin tank installed and operational in my 1957 C-172 taildragger. New fuel quantity sending unit (2011 install but 220hrs on it) new fuel tank indicator gauge (in the instrument panel - installed 2011 - 220hrs on it), new cork gasket on sending unit (installed last week) and sealed the gasket/sender hold-down screws with proper fuel resistant sealer, just cleaned the fuel filter last week, too. Been using the tank about 1-2x per month since I bought the airplane in July. Everything works very well. I'm considering selling it (not sure yet - but just arrived at the "sell" idea today...) to enable more cargo space and possible extended baggage area or other mods. I know these Javelin tanks are rare, and I'm not quite sure what it's worth. Griggs online has similar solution for about $3500. Let me know your interest and price range. I haven't yet spoken with my mechanic regarding extended baggage install, and my decision hinges on his ideas for extended baggage install/approval.

In the last 4-5 years I've seen them for sale for anywhere from $2000 to $5000:eek:. I paid $2K for everything.

Some people love them some hate them. You hear a lot of pilots talk about having fuel in the cabin and potential leaks or worse in a crash. Valid concerns I suppose, but then again the fuel lines themselves run through the cabin anyway.

Having an additional 1.5 hours of endurance is nice to have though.

Thanks Stickman. That endurance is definitely a plus!

I have a Javelin tank installed and operational in my 1957 C-172 taildragger. New fuel quantity sending unit (2011 install but 220hrs on it) new fuel tank indicator gauge (in the instrument panel - installed 2011 - 220hrs on it), new cork gasket on sending unit (installed last week) and sealed the gasket/sender hold-down screws with proper fuel resistant sealer, just cleaned the fuel filter last week, too. Been using the tank about 1-2x per month since I bought the airplane in July. Everything works very well. I'm considering selling it (not sure yet - but just arrived at the "sell" idea today...) to enable more cargo space and possible extended baggage area or other mods. I know these Javelin tanks are rare, and I'm not quite sure what it's worth. Griggs online has similar solution for about $3500. Let me know your interest and price range. I haven't yet spoken with my mechanic regarding extended baggage install, and my decision hinges on his ideas for extended baggage install/approval.

what fuel sending transmitter did you go with? Mine has been needing to be replaced, but can’t find any replacements for it.

There are some shops in the Cape Cod area that make tanks for fish spotting 172s.
Generally larger but they may make smaller?

Back