J3C Piper Cub

Sit on door frame, swing your legs around, grab the cabane tubes and insert yourself feet first. I'm 6'-4" and have no problems. Reverse process getting out.

Yup, grab the frame tubes in front and either sit on the door frame and swing your feet in, or get a foot in, sit on seat and wrangle the other leg in.

Honestly I've never seen anyone do it the same way twice.

You fly from the backseat. Let your passenger worry about the front seat.

How do you get in and out of the front seat.

Carefully, to avoid bumping your head and knees :D

I took a friend for his first GA Flight in the school's 1946 J3 Cub. The dude is 6'5", ~180lbs (and kind of athletic/elastic).

Day before the flight I asked my instructor if in his opinion my tall friend would fit in the front seat. "Never in the front seat, but will fit in the aft seat if he takes his shoes off and you remove the seat's padding" said my CFI.

When my friend saw the front seat he didnt hesitate to say no doubt he'll fit. I was so preocupied to see a miracle that i forgot to record the yoga session. But not only did he fit, he said he could live there for "hours" (i recorded his flight and have some pics of him standing next to Cub. I wonder if he can see the top of the wing's surface while standing lol).

Back